We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Who to fly with, Qatar or Emirates?

uk
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
Who to fly with, Qatar or Emirates?

About to press the button to book our honeymoon, but wanted to hear if people have a preference over these two airlines as we've experienced neither?

Qatar have the edge on better flight times so think I'm swaying towards them. Does anyone know roughly how much extra it would be to fly business for the LHR to Doha leg as thinking of surprising the wife when we get to the airport!

Thanks

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Who to fly with, Qatar or Emirates?

Base it on cost and and flight times. Past that its subjective, and the truth is, not much difference.

Not sure of the price differential. Not sure If it is worth it for that short a leg. Your travel agent or the airlines website will give you the details, as the price will depend on the day, the time, the month and also how busy that sector on the flight is,

Level Contributor
1,608 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Who to fly with, Qatar or Emirates?

Just be careful with Qatar flight times, the only time I have flown with them I had a 1 hour transit time at Doha, first flight delayed, missed connecting flight by 5 mins and spent 8 hours at Doha so effectively lost a day of the holiday, and only going for a week! They seem to operate on quite tight transit times which is great if first flight on time, but disaster if not! Maybe I was unlucky, a friend flew with them in May and made the one hour transit without problem.

Fleet, United...
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Who to fly with, Qatar or Emirates?

Hi Punkster, have a look at Oman Air via Muscat, keener prices than Qatar and Emirates and fantastic service in Business - voted best business class seats for 2 years in a row - flat beds in business. We changed from Emirates to Oman for last 3 trips from Heathrow to Maldives and haven't looked back - next trip Jan 2013

Hampshire
Level Contributor
2,324 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Who to fly with, Qatar or Emirates?

Hello

I have flown with both - and prefer Qatar - but only marginally.. There really is not much difference.

As the above poster - considered Oman for my trip next month - but got side-tracked by a discounted BA price. Wish I had stuck to my guns and flown with Oman or Qatar.

Thanks

Richard from PurelyMaldives

Dundee, United...
Level Contributor
192 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Who to fly with, Qatar or Emirates?

I have flown with Emirates a number of times as they have better flight times from Scotland, however I did fly with Qatar once (funnily enough....going to Dubai!). I would say that Qatar were slightly better, but that may have been due to the staff etc on that specific flight. I would reckon they are equal pegging with regards to flight amenities etc. Although Dubai airport is a better place to be stuck than Doha, should it come to that. Another airline that seems to be getting good reports is Etihad via Abu Dhabi.

London
Level Contributor
80 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Who to fly with, Qatar or Emirates?

I'm flying Qatar this October I did enquire about upgrade but the difference was about £1800 return extra pp! Too much 4 me! Have a look at Oman flew with them last year & upgraded to buisness the price was not as bad & their service was very good. Same sort of lay over times

Hampshire, UK
Level Contributor
942 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Who to fly with, Qatar or Emirates?

My colleague flew Qatar and would never again due to the transit. She spent 20 mins on an airport bus, much of it next to their plane with the pilot arguing they couldn't get on!

We flew Emirates via Dubai to Mauritius and the planes themselves were good with excellent entertainment systems. However the 3 hour middle of the night stopover both ways killed it for us and we choose to pay more and fly direct with BA.

Wirral, UK
Level Contributor
316 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Who to fly with, Qatar or Emirates?

We flew once with Qatar and had such a hideous flight (service, comfort and especially the transit) that we now have a preference for Emirates. Out of MAN, the flight times with Emirates have also been better for us (daytime on return). Our Emirates experience has been a bit patchy but that is generally down to cabin crew, comfort etc is generally OK. The entertainment systems on both are good. All of that said, if the Qatar flight times were better than Emirates I would probably use them again.

Edited: 22 September 2012, 11:41
Kent, England
Level Contributor
4,469 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Who to fly with, Qatar or Emirates?

Have flown Emirates twice to the Maldives and really rate them, food has always been amazing, loads of drinks rounds and great IFE. Never had a delay yet on any leg.

Would have gone Emirates again next year but the price difference between them and a BA direct flight was only around £60pp (normally it's more like £150pp) so we took the plunge and booked direct for a change.

Lincolnshire...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
7,777 posts
258 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Who to fly with, Qatar or Emirates?

We've flown with both fom MAN. Prefer Emirates for good flight times nowadays and also like Dubai airport better than Qatar.