We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Biyadhoo not closing

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
287 reviews
Save Topic
Biyadhoo not closing

I am sorta confused why the announcement that biyadhoo is now not to close next year for re -furb has not caused a bit more comment on here. Especially considering the uproar it caused and the various threads that were opened up. I received confirmation from the Maldives traveller site that the biyadhoo management confirmed no closure, no re furb. Hence this thread to spread the gospel !!

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
24,880 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Biyadhoo not closing

Thanks both, really helpful & sounds great. I spend a lot of time on my own snorkeling & reading but I do like to meet people and have a chat in the evening. Good news about the SS, I didn't realise that, it just sounded a friendly island with a great reef.

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,955 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Biyadhoo not closing

Is it closing at the end of 2013 or not at all? Hopefully the latter?

London
Level Contributor
54 posts
1 review
Save Reply
13. Re: Biyadhoo not closing

Been once before, going back next may (supposedly the last 11 nights before closing for refurb.. now just a 'regular' 11 nights..) i have a Q... last time we stayed ground floor about 7 doors down from the bar (1st block) I was quite shocked to see actual mould on walls and ceiling of bedroom - i had read reviews prior to staying - some said mould, some said "what mould it's all clean and tidy"... in people's experience (those who have been a number of times) are the mouldy rooms now out numbering the un-mouldy ones ?.. also would staying 1st floor reduce the chances of mouldy internal walls ?

I'm glad it's staying as it is... i guess the mould "grew on me" :o)

well I'm going back.. 1st time in seven trips to the Maldives back to the same Island so that must say something. (albeit cost has a huge say this time around, having just come back at the weekend from Kuramathi. <sigh>

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
287 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Biyadhoo not closing

In June we were in 2 ground floor rooms in the west block furthest from the bar, 83 and 84, the last 2 rooms before the corner room (will need to check my review for the numbers) and not even a hint of mould anywhere on the walls or ceiling or bathrooms. The daughters room was better than ours with new digital aircon and nicer, fresher bathroom (84 i think), the second room up from the corner room

Cumbria, United...
Level Contributor
3,446 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Biyadhoo not closing

Hi Cosmosblue

In order to answer your question fully about mouldy rooms outnumbering unaffected rooms you would need to find somone who has been to Biya 96 times and stayed in each room :))) !

We've been 6 times and have stayed in a variety of downstairs rooms (mostly 1st block east side) and a couple of upstairs rooms (both sides) and I have to admit we have seen some damp in one of the rooms downstairs - maybe we have been lucky (or maybe we just stopped looking!). Bearing in mind the maldivian building tradition does not include damp proofing and that I have seen Biya flooded once I am not terribly surprised. The bathrooms are a different matter - being enclosed with little ventilation a few of those have shown some signs of mould (in the silicone sealant e.g) but apart from that all have been kept very clean. I think the upstairs rooms are more airy so you may not notice any damp/mould as much. Others may have an alternative experience though!

Nothing wrong with revisiting - we have revisited 3 of the 7 islands we have been to, will revisit a 4th in 3 weeks time and would happily revisit 2 or the remaining 3!

London
Level Contributor
54 posts
1 review
Save Reply
16. Re: Biyadhoo not closing

guess i was just "lucky" with our mouldy bedroom.. :o) still it would seem I've stayed in one of the worse rooms.. if it's the same on the return no grumbles - if better, then great <thumbsup>

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Biyadhoo not closing

Really? Mould is ok? I mean I know it's supposed to be a beautiful island and its low cost in comparison to others,,,,but how bad does it have to be before its too bad? Do people just stopping going in trickles as it gets worse, which it must surely do?

Would freshening it up, without changing what it fundamentally is, not have been a better solution?

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,955 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Biyadhoo not closing

That's what I mean.

Is it closing at the end of 2013 for a bit of freshening up (hopefully not water bungalows or a swimming pool to spoilt the rustic ambiance)?

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
7,897 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Biyadhoo not closing

There is a fine line between rustic and plain old run down !! :-)

Good evening every one :-))

Darryl

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
417 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Biyadhoo not closing

Agreed Darryl. It's great that Biyadhoo can continue to fill the budget niche without having to completely rebuild / overdevelop but like Froggy said I don't see why they can't carry out some basic refurbishments to sort out the ventilation problems which are causing the mould.

Nobody's asking for 5* facilities but just because a hotel is in budget class doesn't mean that basic structural maintenance shouldn't be carried out when necessary.

Edited: 26 September 2012, 19:37