We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family destination .. a new reality ?

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,113 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Family destination .. a new reality ?

Please bear with me on this one . i am not intending a popcorn thread and no pro or con kids discussion that gets dreleted within the hour .

Here is my question : We keep confidentally telling new posters "there will be few kids on any island you choose" .. but is that ancient wisdom and no longer valid? it seems that the vast majority of reviews now stems from families and also the majority of new posts come from parents. reading the most recent conrad review ("were woken up by 6 a.m. every morning by screaming children in adjacent rooms") brought the question up in my mind .. whoever travels as couples anymore ? and .. are there really as many infants and toddlers as it seems or are they just the most vocal age groups?

so..poll (please no opinion for or against kids) : Who still goes as couples or single adults ? Who travels with kids ? and what are your impressions during your recent visits regarding the numbers of families versus travelers without chidren?

Surrey
Level Contributor
119 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
51. Re: Family destination .. a new reality ?

It is not just about the kids who are there but also the adults who supervise them. Our 2 boys have been with us 3 times to the Maldives and once to the Seychelles, and another time to Mauritius. They love it but we keep a fairly tight grip on them to make sure they dont disturb others. They are now aged 11 and 12 but on their first trip were 4 and 5.

Other kids have also generally been well behaved. However on our last trip there was a large group of Americans there. I guess their nationality is immaterial as bad behaviour can come from anywhere, but in truth I also noticed a similar pattern from large groups of Americans in Mexico so i am starting to wonder. Anyway the point is this group in the Maldives let their kids run riot. They were jumping on the furniture in the bar areas, throwing cushions across the bar/lounge areas, screaming and yelling, throwing the decorative stones from the pool edge into the pool and leaving them there, throwing them on the beach, one of the boys even wanted to drop a dead fish from the beach into the pool. Add to that taking drinks and ice cream into the pool (and no it was not a swim up bar), we just found them a nightmare and it put us off going to the bar. We would phone to find out what resaurant they were in and when to make sure we avoided them.

And the parents reaction - they found it all hilarious and were actively encouraging the kids to throw, jump, shout more! Theye were videoing it and taking photos. The only one they stopped them on was taking the dead fish into the pool.

So me, I have no problem with kids on holiday at these places at all, but I would rather there were only sensible adults there who are capable of controlling their kids.

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,955 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
52. Re: Family destination .. a new reality ?

Thanks, Siobhan. The Family were there for at least 3 days out of the 7 and the baby/toddler weren't happy at all, but I agree it's the parents who are to blame if they drag kids to an unfamiliar climate before they're old enough to verbalise their own preferences.

Edited: 28 September 2012, 18:09
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
710 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
53. Re: Family destination .. a new reality ?

Just seen this thread, as I was in Biyadhoo at the time it was posted, having my ear drums abused by 2 feral children. Every meal time they would run around the restaurant screaming, tantruming on the floor, hanging off the back of everyones chair, running up to peoples tables...all whilst the parents were oblivious. Pet dogs were better behaved than these 2, but again you have to blame the Swiss parents who thought it was normal. We tolerated it for 4 days before asking to move table.

The rest of the children from other families were better behaved and quiet.

I was surprised how many families with children there were especially as I didn't think it was school hols.

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
54. Re: Family destination .. a new reality ?

there were several family groups at Athuruga, mainly italian and german, probably about 8 kids in all. They were well behaved and no probs other than usual kids antics. Our most amusing/controversial guests were a couple who shall we say always wore the same t shirt at the same time so you know what i mean. They would both eat with their mouths wide open, spit food into their napkins, crouch over with their mouths 2 inches from the plate and make some quite unpalatable 'hacking' noises whilst eating. Lovely. Never saw them trample the reef though.

england
Level Contributor
2,446 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
55. Re: Family destination .. a new reality ?

Matchy matchy.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
56. Re: Family destination .. a new reality ?

>lbut I agree it's the parents who are to blame if they drag kids to an unfamiliar climate before they're old enough to verbalise their own preferences.<

Wow, xarla, either you had a princess type up bringing or I am extremely harsh on my daughter, but no way was I letting her call our holiday destination Two or three years old. Lol. She gets a vote now, but it's just that,,,a vote. She's coming with us and she's going to enjoy it, irrelevant of her preferences. When she pays for her Own vacations, then her preferences take precedent!

Also to be fair you don't know what's going on with the kid and why it was crying. However if a child is not happy it's down to the parents to deal with it and ensure they don't impact other guests. My daughter never has, I simply can't imagine she would.

Although I do remember in Italy when she was about four years old, in a restaurant, she sneezed and the force of the sneeze inadvertantly pushed the air out her little body, so she simultaneously farted, as loud as you please. Funniest god damn thing ever. She was so small and so mortified, especially as everyone looked round and stared at her horrified. Still makes me chuckle. Seriously I laughed like a drain. Still don't feel bad about it. Evil mummy:))

Anyway, feral kids really are an exception, lets be honest......

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
710 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
57. Re: Family destination .. a new reality ?

I agree feral kids are an exception - it was my first encounter with them in 3 trips to the Maldives. Hopefully never again.I felt sorry for another child who was really well behaved and polite who watched the feral children every day and must of wondered why they were allowed to run around the resturant screaming and she wasn't .

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,955 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
58. Re: Family destination .. a new reality ?

Froggy - my childhood was so 'princess- like' that I didn't go on a foreign holiday until I was 18. We spent two weeks every August in English coastal towns like Bournemouth, Brighton and Eastbourne. Part of the foreign holiday obsession that hit me as soon as I could afford my own (part time jobs whilst at university) was due to this.

They had the money but preferred to spend it on other things (cars and extending the house, mainly) and my brother wasn't bothered about 'hot countries.' I was and even offered to pay for myself, but no-go.

Still, it taught me to swim in rough water and in the pouring rain (another reason why I don't like that on holiday now and prefer a week in the dry season to 10 days in the rainy one).

Edited: 17 October 2012, 23:47
Northumberland...
Level Contributor
2,322 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
59. Re: Family destination .. a new reality ?

Tricky, I'm with you - have observed some really badly behaved children on holiday from many different countries.

Once in Thailand a (Russian) girl who was pestering my daughter went into the pool, filled her mouth with pool water, and spat it out into my daughter's drink while she was sitting at the swim up bar - I just happened to be passing at that moment and couldn't believe my eyes. I told her parents but they just thought it was hilarious!

Last year in Singapore there was (another Russian - sorry) little boy who kept swimming up to my daughter and punching her & any other children who dared get near him for absolutely no reason - his father wasn't in the least interested as he was downing drinks at the bar!

In Curaçao we had a purely blissful holiday until a huge group (of Americans) arrived and really took over the entire pool area and literally ran riot - even some of the parents joined in - it was so bad that we decided it was time to move on elsewhere!

I've also encountered very badly behaved (British) children at Gleneagles in Scotland - they really were ferrel spoilt brats - again the parents were not the least bit interested along as they could be left alone to enjoy their drinks!

I could go on about badly behaved children, but in every single case it was down to bad parenting - not really the childrens' fault.

We have travelled with our daughter since she was 6weeks old and she has honestly never disturbed anyone either whilst travelling or in a hotel, restaurant etc., but that's because we have always seen it as OUR duty to ensure she is well entertained and well behaved. If only all parents were the same.

Xarla - our daughter is now 10 and I have to agree with Froggy - she can give her opinion on where she would like to go but until she can pay for it we will have the final say! I can say though, hand on heart, that she's enjoyed every single holiday and we have some fabulous photo's and memories.

60. Re: Family destination .. a new reality ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2013, 15:17