We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help me make this a dream holiday..

Beverley, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Help me make this a dream holiday..

For the past 10 years it has been my dream to visit the Maldives, in January I am 50 yrs and it is our 30th wedding annivesary in feb. So my husband & I have managed to save a £5000 budget for this special time in our lives, it will be a one off so I must get it right. I love snorkelling he loves windsurfing, we love site seeing. It must be 14 nights and all inclusive. We would really appreciate some advise. Many thanks Shirl

Beverley, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Help me make this a dream holiday..

Thank you so much for taking time out to give me some advise, it is very much appreciated.

Beverley, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Help me make this a dream holiday..

Yes windsurfing is more important than snorkelling for us, as far as the AI is concerned half board would be as good as we drink very little alcohol but we like our food. I just did not know to look North OR South but Vilamendhoo seems very popular, so I am now going to read about the island.

Many Thanks for your time and if there is anything else you think would be useful to know please share it with us.Thank You Shirl

Hampshire, UK
Level Contributor
942 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Help me make this a dream holiday..

Def go HB whichever island you book as we've found in 3 trips this had paid off for us. We probably have beer or soft drink at lunch, 2 bottles water a day, cocktail pre dinner, wine with dinner and lunch at the beach bar each and have always come in under the AI cost.

Would also recommend Vilamendhoo. Great house reef, good size island, good range of activities.

With your budget you need to be looking at the charter flight holidays with Thomson or First Choice to maximise value for money.

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,955 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Help me make this a dream holiday..

Jody beat me to it! The beach villa is far preferable to the garden villa.

I have to admit I didn't see any windsurfing at Angaga or Vilamendhoo in the dry season.

You're going at a time when there won't be very much wind unless a storm is brewing!

As already mentioned, there is no sight seeing at all, in terms of cultural heritage sites.

Have you already been to Egypt's Red Sea coast? That's the number one spot for wind-surfing; heritage sites and snorkelling (alhough be prepared for long trips to see the sites). Apologies if you've already been there and know that! Or Sri Lanka?

Maybe start a new thread - which islands would you recommend for windsurfing in January?

Edited: 02 October 2012, 21:52
Kent, England
Level Contributor
4,469 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Help me make this a dream holiday..

If a wind surfing is more important than snorkeling I'd scrap vilamendhoo, sorry but ive been there and the reef circles the entire island and I struggle to see how you would surf there, especially in peak season when the water would be at its calmest.

If you really want surfing them turn your attentions to chayaa dhonveli, kandooma and hudhuranfushi although if I'm being honest, you would get a much better standard of all inclusive and accommodation in somewhere in the Caribbean where windsurfing is much more readily available.

The Maldives are stunning but not really cut out for mass water sports except snorkeling, diving and kayaking.

Kent, England
Level Contributor
4,469 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Help me make this a dream holiday..

Cross posted with xarla!

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,955 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Help me make this a dream holiday..

I was thinking the same thing, Jody - one of those lovely 5* hotels which are exclusively for adults on Mexico's Caribbean coast . Exotic and tropical, surrounded by heritage sites, offering snorkelling, windsurfing and also much, much better value.

Although the 'best' windsurfing would have to be somewhere like Dahab, Nuweiba or Marsa in Egypt (not exotic and special enough, though)? Better snorkelling than Mexico.

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,955 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Help me make this a dream holiday..

Hi Shirley

I started a separate thread as I don't wind-surf myself but there will be those who do and will help you out. Hope this is OK!

Xarla

Edited: 02 October 2012, 23:00
Bedford
Level Contributor
3,941 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Help me make this a dream holiday..

Jody, I think, as Heather pointed out, that there is confusion going on between surfing, which needs big waves and is only available on a few islands, and wind surfing, which is the one where you stand on a board with a sail. As far as I know, never having done it myself, you can do this more or less anywhere, as long as there is some breeze. I don't remember any island where the equipment was not available, but only ever saw the odd person actually trying it.

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,955 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Help me make this a dream holiday..

Exactly. Vilamendhoo wouldn't be the best choice, as Jody and i realised; the reef is too close to shore and there's barely any lagoon now the water bungalows have been built.

The north Male atoll has a rep for 'good winds' so that seems to be the place to head. Jan won't be that windy, though.

Edited: 03 October 2012, 00:11