We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Resort recommendation - I'm confused

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
63 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Resort recommendation - I'm confused

We are looking for a resort where we can get a reasonable AI package from the UK. It is not a honeymoon so we don't want to be stung on the price!

This is the first time we are going to the Maldives and just want the same as most other AI holidays - drinks, food, nice room, good snorkelling (to be taken out free would be good - but I see this is unlikely!)

Restaurants allocated to different groups of rooms - is this a class thing? And what what is generally allocated to standard rooms?

We had sort of narrowed it down to Dhonvelli (where cocktails are included) but then saw that someone had been surprised with a bill at the end of their stay and we definitely don't want that.

I know that there are so many islands, but any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thank you

SS

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,173 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Resort recommendation - I'm confused

Hi and welcome to the forum

AI in the Maldives is not like AI elsewhere in the world. Virtually all islands will have exceptions to their AI and this can range from Lobster and Champagne right down to bottled water. Many islands will have just a single (or maybe a couple of) cocktails of the day that are included. It'll most likely be non-premium brands that feature in the deal and usually it's bottled juices rather than fresh - but it all depends on the resort. Usually you're restricted to the Buffet restaurant, but will recieve a credit if dining elsewhere, unless you are on an island that does the 'super' AI deals such as Kuramathi. Sometimes you'll get free use of snorkelling equipment (not to be recommended). Spa treatments etc will cost extra. This is why people end up with bills to pay, even if they are on AI.

If you can share your budget with us and give some idea as to what you want from this holiday, then we'll be able to help. If you can have a look at the FAQ: Which island etc and come back with more info, that would be great.

SL

Edited: 07 October 2012, 18:00
Kent, England
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Resort recommendation - I'm confused

All inclusive means different things at different islands but at most it means a restriction on cocktails and/or spirits. This isnt the case at some but ultimately it depends on your budget.

Your comment about a class system seems to be kuredu which does only allow you to use certain bars and restaurants depending on your room type. This is not typical of the Maldives though. Some of the best all inclusive plans exist at athuruga and kuramathi (select) but they will be significantly more than dhonveli.

You said in your opening post you want to snorkel? Dhonveli doesn't have a house reef as far as I am aware...

3. Re: Resort recommendation - I'm confused

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 January 2014, 17:07
Edited: 30 January 2014, 17:07
4. Re: Resort recommendation - I'm confused

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

suffolk
Level Contributor
3,631 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Resort recommendation - I'm confused

Check out Vilamendhoo.....one of the best reefs in its class, less than 10 metres off the beach.....no boat trips required for snorkelling.

Share your budget, duration and when you're going.....recommendations far better than Dhonveli and Kuredu will follow.

John

Edited: 07 October 2012, 18:32
Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
63 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Resort recommendation - I'm confused

Thanks fory your responses. Our budget is no more than £1,800 pp and we want to go between the middle of November 2012 and don't want come back any later than mid-december. From London airports.

Thanks

SS

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
63 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Resort recommendation - I'm confused

PS for 14 nights.

suffolk
Level Contributor
3,631 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Resort recommendation - I'm confused

2 weeks AI for £3600.....that'll be tough particularly at such short notice.

John

9. Re: Resort recommendation - I'm confused

Truro, United...
Level Contributor
576 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Resort recommendation - I'm confused

Oh...I've just been on kuoni website and tried 24 nov 10 nights and you can get Kuramathi beach villa AI( basic) for £4080 with speedboat transfer and good flights with emirates flights. Other than that Biyadoo will be in budget (just) for 10 nights.

I think you could be pushing it for 14 nights in an acceptable hotel, with snorkelling.