We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Diving insurance

Biggin Hill
Level Contributor
628 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Diving insurance

Just returned from a diving trip, wanted to let any divers on the forum that certain conditions re DAN insurance have changed in the Maldives. Every trip we have been on until this last one, the cost of DAN insurance was included in the price of the dive, but we noticed this time that on the check in form, insurance was no longer complimentary. This doesnt worry us as we both have DAN insurance anyway, but we did ask why - we were told that the regulations had changed in the Maldives and resorts could no longer offer complimentary insurance, but you had to purchase it if you were not already holding your own policy. It was $20 for 1 week or $30 for 2 weeks.

So if you have your own policy make sure you take your DAN card with you.

Stourbridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,103 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Diving insurance

You learn something new every day :-) in all the times i have been to the maldives i have never noticed that there was complimentry insurance, we have visited quite a few different islands too, thanks for the info

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Diving insurance

This was the same with Euro Divers when I was at Vilamendhoo July 2011

It states this on their website

Insurance (type and coverage) No insurance provided for divers. Individual Insurance.

The dive centre and instructors are covered by DAN.

I too have my own DAN insurance so it's not a problem for me but it's worth checking out any dive centre on a specific island to see what their dive insurance policy covers

Stourbridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,103 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Diving insurance

Because i have my own insurance with Divemaster is probably why i have never noticed. Long time no speak simon, hope you and yours are all well, still remember you looking after me all those years ago, was it vakarufali or veligandu? i can't remember now, it's my age lol we are off to Angaga in december, went last year and really enjoyed it :-)

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Diving insurance

Hi Susie

Sent you a pm

sg2
Brighton, United...
Destination Expert
for Marsa Alam
Level Contributor
4,147 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Diving insurance

Scooby and Susie

I was under the same impression that DAN covered the instructors and resort school but individual divers insurance was their own responsibility and from my recollection on the islands i dived there was a similar disclaimer as villa so have always had my own too.

Sg

Bedford
Destination Expert
for Samana Province
Level Contributor
4,648 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Diving insurance

How does DAN differ from the insurance provided by normal travel policies? Our travel insurance with Natwest Black credit card covers MrF and me, plus up to five persons travelling with us on the same trip. I checked with NatWest and it covers diving down to 30 metres which I understood to be adequate. MrF and I do not dive, but three of our family do. What extra would DAN offer?

Biggin Hill
Level Contributor
628 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Diving insurance

Our travel insurance also covers us to dive to 30m, but the level of cover is not adequate. Whilst we are covered for the accidental stuff and some medical fees, the cost of needing a deco chamber (god forbid) is huge and if you cannot be sorted out in the Maldives, they fly you in a special plane to Switzerland, which would send your medical bills into orbit.

I would say that its best to check the fine print of your policy and if you havent got cover for dcs then you can either arrange your own or get it in resort. If you only dive on holiday once a year, then its probably not worth getting a policy, if you can get cover in the resort, but if a more frequent diver, then it would probably work out cheaper with an annual policy, for recreational divers its not expensive.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Diving insurance

Sg

I remember diving from Meedhupparu in 2004 and part of your dive package included free DAN insurance with the centre .

A lot has changed out there since then

MissFitts

My diving involves a lot more than 30m dives now so it's feasable that your travel insurance may be enough

DAN will get you to a recompression chamber and cover your evacuation and medical bills from any where in the world , you can also add life insurance , kit insurance etc on

Don't think a normal travel policy would cover that

Simon

Bedford
Destination Expert
for Samana Province
Level Contributor
4,648 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Diving insurance

Thanks Simon and Alliefat, I had no idea about all this, and will make sure sons are properly covered in future, whether by usual policy or DAN.

Scotland
Level Contributor
1,521 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Diving insurance

Thanks for the info. Off now to check our insurance, we have Black but with RBS.