We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maldives depression

Sydney
Level Contributor
179 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Maldives depression

I visited the Maldives for the first time in July and now I am utterly depressed because I'm trying to plan a budget -ish honeymoon and nothing, nothing compares to the Maldives.

First world problems, hey ;)

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,955 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Maldives depression

If that was me, I'd max out a credit card booking another Maldives island for my honeymoon. It does depend what you want, though. For me, it's all about the snorkelling and none of the other tropical destinations I've been to compare for that. Maxing out credit cards isn't advisable, of course, but your honeymoon isn't a time to sit around thinking nostalgically about another holiday, IMHO ;)

If it's tropical beaches/sun/good food/excellent scenery you're after, it's easier to find somewhere else at a much cheaper price.

Edited: 27 October 2012, 14:52
Norway
Level Contributor
819 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Maldives depression

I know the feeling, nothing really compares!! But I agree with Sammyann, have you thought of Thailand? Dont' know what it would cost you to get there, but hotels are cheap and it is a different kind of experience than the Maldives. So many excursions to choose from, jungle trek, elephant riding, boat trips, island hopping... Beaches and snorkelling in world class, food is delicious and you will find the friendliest people on the planet IMO. Happy planning!

Northumberland...
Level Contributor
2,331 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Maldives depression

Laura - have you thought about Lombok? We went there last December and stayed in a fabulous hotel called Qunci Villas - it was one of the most romantic and peaceful places I've ever been to and we took a trip to the nearby Gilli islands and there was lots to see - we even got to swim with turtles!

I would highly recommend the place.

Edited: 27 October 2012, 16:39
Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
26,836 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Maldives depression

Mini-moon sounds a good idea.

Nearer home what about Lady Elliot Island. You need to book direct but you are right on the reef so can paddle and look at coral & fish or snorkel/dive. One of the best dive sites on the GBR and cheaper than most.

http://www.ladyelliot.com.au/

YOu can add Fraser Island or hop down to Montville (bus from Hervey Bay to Maroochy cheap as chips 3hrs) and stay in a tree house.

http://www.treehouses.com.au/the-tree-houses/ private, view of the forest but make sure it's a tree house not bush. The double jacuzzi with views over the forest is wow! Never forget it. Fly into Maroochy & drive out is best.

Sydney
Level Contributor
179 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Maldives depression

Thank you for all the suggestions! Definitely going to dedicate some time researching different areas, and will let you know when we decide :)

Ps: I'm pushing for Maldives!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
710 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Maldives depression

I was going to post the same as Xarla yesterday, but I thought it was best not to encourage you! We are having to pay for our entire wedding and honeymoon ourselves which is hard work, but I've booked the honeymoon and if it means paying it on the credit card then so be it.

I guess it depends what's the most important thing on your day? I don't care too much about the cake, flowers, favours etc, but I know I want an amazing honeymoon and it would be a shame to go somewhere less idyllic than the places I've already visited.

Then again as others have said, you have the whitsundays and cook islands not too far from you? The cook islands would be AMAZING :)

Hampshire, UK
Level Contributor
975 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Maldives depression

As others have said there is no cure...

We've been 5 times and in between tried other amazing tropical destinations but they've never quite lived up to the relaxed, laid back no shoe vibe of the Maldives, or of course the outstanding off shore snorkelling! I'm talking Mexico, Palm Island in the Grenadines, Mauritius and St Lucia.

We've considered Cayo Levantado but took advice from previous visitees that the snorkelling wasn't quite up to scratch, plus we prefer scheduled flights and 10 night trips which aren't as easy to the Dom Rep.

Am surprise that the GBR from Sydney is more expensive!

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Maldives depression

I don't really know much about it, but I would imagine there is much cheaper ways of borrowing money than via credit card. Depending on when it's paid off, that could work out a very, very costly trip.

I agree honeymoons should be special. I really don't agree one should get into debt for it, thats just personal, but if that's the route, then I would say talk to your bank and get a loan, don't go via credit card unless you can pay it off very quickly.

Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Reply
19. Re: Maldives depression

the southern lesser developed islands of Thailand would be an option for you.KHO NGAI just off the trang coast abou 2 hrs boat ride south of phi phi is a stunning place. much cheaper than maldives.white sand ,clear water.a sandy shore line then drop off for snorkelling.no roads etc etc.....but is as stunning as maldives? i dont think anywhere is!!!!

New Romney, United...
Level Contributor
223 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Maldives depression

maldives dreamer, i agree with u its all about the honeymoon not paying for expensive dinners for relatives u never see. honeymoon is the only way i can justify the extra for water villa at athuruga but a honeymoon is 2 weeks and a wedding just 1 day.