We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

OK to take alcohol with you?

Glasgow UK
Level Contributor
121 posts
1 review
Save Topic
OK to take alcohol with you?

My husband and I usually take a couple of bottles of champagne from duty free to drink on our holiday. We are heading to the Maldives soon and I read somewhere that on arrival in Male, your bags are checked and any alcohol removed. Can anyone confirm whether this is true??

United States
Level Contributor
1,425 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: OK to take alcohol with you?

Rananaway

I have no doubt that you are probably correct in your assumption that the reason why alcohol is restricted has something to do with protecting profits.

But so what! You hardly need our permission to try and break the rules. I don't know what kind of booze you drink. The resorts that I go to have always had what I consider to be top shelf liquor.

It just doesn't come cheap. If you want to drink "the good stuff" in the maldives you have to pay the price.

If thats not acceptable then go to Majorca!

Dos cerveza, por...
Level Contributor
3,883 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: OK to take alcohol with you?

I personally think that if a muslim country is dry then it should be dry............all over. The fact that you can buy booze at the resorts & the airport hotel but you cannot bring any in for personal consumption is a bit hypocritical. It's to do with the fact that you must have a "special licence" to import alcoholic beverages to the Maldives & I probably suspect there's some price fixing going on also.

However, those are the rules & we are all aware of them prior to booking. I have heard of people smuggling in vodka in a water bottle, scattering a few miniatures in their suitcase, etc but is it really worth all that hassle? It's certainly not something we would condone on here. You pay thousands for a holiday then worry about smuggling in £20 worth of booze??

I would suggest that if it is that much of a problem to anyone then they either need to book Ibiza or an appointment at Alcoholics Anonymous.........

Cotswolds, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives, North Male Atoll, Southern Ari Atoll, Lhaviyani Atoll
Level Contributor
4,657 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: OK to take alcohol with you?

Ranaway ... alcohol is not all about profits. I should imagine resort islands know if they are to cater for guests then they need to sell drinks to gain tourism, which is fair enough. Maybe to you it is not about culture, etc... but it should about "respect" first and foremost. ..... activegirl

London, United...
Level Contributor
675 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: OK to take alcohol with you?

That is correct. The Maldives is a Muslim country and alcohol is not permitted except on resort islands. it therefore gets confiscated. However, do not worry as none of the resorts are dry, so no need to take any bottles with you.

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,178 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: OK to take alcohol with you?

this is pretty much a no-brainer. of course the resorts are selling alcohol to keep their booze-addicted guests happy and to make money. just as i would assume your local tavern is a for-profit business and not a community relief organisation. the maldives have established generous exceptions to their law that governs as to where, when and by whom liquor can be consumed. if you desire to become a guest in a country, introducing yourself by blatant disregard for the local religion and customs pretty much shows what you are made of . i agree with those who suggested balearic islands destinations as an alternative destination.

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,178 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: OK to take alcohol with you?

sorry .. my above reply was of course addressed to Ranaway. as to the original post - all the resorts i know will be happy to supply you with champagne . my suggestion is to take the duty free stuff home and drink it while looking over vacation photos and reliving memories :)

Nottingham england
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
1 review
Save Reply
17. Re: OK to take alcohol with you?

Yup .. that about sums it up ...

Simon

israel
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: OK to take alcohol with you?

1. i am not intending to bring alchohol if its not allowed due to local religion, culture and customs even though i don't think that is the reason they don't allow to bring alchohol with you.

2. don't assume by one question i asked what i am made of. you hardly know me. i do have lots of regards to local religion, culture and customs. it is not my first time to a muslim country. i have been to sinai desert in egypt (which is one of the best places in the world) for about 15 times and i have there many muslims friend and have lots of respect to thier religion and culture.

3. i love you all

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,666 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: OK to take alcohol with you?

This is obviously an emotive subject, but I'm going to comment anyway. The Maldives is notionally a strict Muslim country and Maldivians are not supposed to drink alcohol. You are not allowed to bring it into the country and if found it will be confiscated.

This is largely rubbish.

Many Maldivians will happily drink when they get the chance. Note I say "Many", not "most", or all". Non Maldivians get alcohol supplied to them from the airport at reasonable prices and they get a license from the government to do so. So it is not true to say that alcohol is limited to the islands.

They xray your luggage when you arrive, but the checks are cursory at best and you can easily get a bottle of white spirit through if you wish in a water bottle. Ideally not in a duty free bag and your luggage shouldn't clink. If you get caught play dumb, - they'll only confiscate it and send you on your way. Having said that I don't think it's terribly nice to do it. Rules are rules and we should have respect.

I personally believe that alcohol is banned for visitors so that they can charge you extortionate prices in the resorts. Every drop you bring to the Maldives is a drop they can't charge you for, and boy do they charge.

Finally, all you others with your judgemental, snide, sneering comments about Majorca, Ibiza or AA. You should be thoroughly ashamed of yourselves. Grow up and get a life.

Dos cerveza, por...
Level Contributor
3,883 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: OK to take alcohol with you?

Why? What's wrong with Majorca - families go there, lots of sun.

What's wrong with Ibiza - lots of "pay to enter & drink until you pass out" bars.

What's wrong with AA - they do a good job. I always call them when I break down or run out of fuel.