We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Final Honeymoon Post!

London, United...
Level Contributor
98 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Final Honeymoon Post!

Promise :-)

Me & OH have had some chats about our honeymoon. We have decided that Kuramarthi is not for us - yes lots of restaurants, but when we put our heads together we realised that we were not paying the sort of money we are to go to The Maldives for just food! We had concerns about the beauty of the island, the size, and the fact it was not barefoot etc (it just doesn't look that relaxing?).

Our priorities have completely changed. We have agreed we will go to an Island where the only option is buffet (as long as its good) if the Island is beautiful. The running favourite is Aguthuru - but we would have to go Beach Villa and I can't help but worry I'm going to be completely depressed that we aren't in those amazing Water Villas! Aguthuru is coming out at 6K for 10 nights, 7K in the WV.

OH only wants to spend 5K so even this option is over budget. I think there may be room for a little wiggle though. Is there anywhere else that people would suggest based on our requirements (listed below?).

Got to ask as well - why is Aguthuru so amazing? OH asked me why you are all raving about it and I have to admit to being a bit like errm, I'm not sure!

Requirements are;

- Beautiful Island

- Small / Completely Barefoot

- Nice Room

- Good Food

- Good Snorkelling

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
504 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Final Honeymoon Post!

Athuruga has all of the above. You may also want to check out Thudufushi. It usually comes out a bit cheaper than Athuruga and it may be a better option for honeymooners. If you want to try the water villas but keep the costs down I'd suggest booking a few days in a water villa and the rest in a beach bungalow. You'll get to try the water villa a la carte restaurant but I don't think you'll be disappointed by the buffet restaurant. It's not like most buffets. Think of a restaurant with top quality food, a waiter who serves your drinks, but instead of choosing your food from a printed menu (and often have no idea what it's going to be like when it arrives) you get to look at the food before you choose.

Kent, England
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Final Honeymoon Post!

Because it's everything you just mentioned......ps - it's Athuruga.

If you are getting quotes just from kuoni then I highely recommend trying a Kuoni agent instead, they can sometimes knock the price down a few hundred. A number of them were recommended on your earlier threads. You could also try Thudufushi which is the sister island and normally slightly cheaper.

Your problem is that you are travelling in UK school holidays and your budget/requirements see you wanting more than Reethi (which is a good all round island standard) but without the budget for the next step up of Athuruga.

Angaga meets most of your requirements but food might be a bit samey.

Sure someone else may have some suggestions.

montgomery, wales
Level Contributor
488 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Final Honeymoon Post!

Hello Megan,

Well in my book I can tick all your requirements ..... we had a wonderful 14 days on Athuruga back in mid June and whilst the Water Villas are very stylish I just so prefer to stay in a Beach Villa, you simply can't beat that feeling of front door straight onto powder white sand!! Also by all accounts the Water Villas Restaurant was not always terribly marvellous ..... as a pair of "oldies" who honeymooned on Kuramathi rather a long time ago (!!) Athuruga wins hands down. Food was varied and good, great salads which kept me very happy, we went on two trips but quite frankly apart from the fun of going on a boat, the house reef was just as good. Oh yes, and we stayed in BV 26, detached but anything from 25 up to 36 would be most delightful. I know the manager, Petra, was planning updating the BVs interiors and whilst they might not be totally "now" they were clean, bed comfortable and outside bathrooms are fun.

Good Luck and Enjoy!!

London, United...
Level Contributor
98 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Final Honeymoon Post!

Thanks Everyone. I'll ask to Thudufushi to be priced up. I think before it was coming up with similar prices as Athuruga. Are they both in the same league? Or if they come out at the same price would Athuruga always win? :-)

Jody I know - why did OH decide to be a teacher! Ahhh!

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
504 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Final Honeymoon Post!

Athu and Thudu are very similar. Athu has a slightly better reef so gets the vote for snorkelling but Thudu has slightly better water villas (bigger deck). Athu is slightly more relaxed, Thudu was a bit more lively when we were there (but only a bit).

Kent, England
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Final Honeymoon Post!

Ath & Thud are sister islands with similar vila designs and same AI plan.

Both have good snorkeling although Athuruga is deemed to be slightly better although some have said the food at Thud is better.

To be fair, a trip to either will be amazing and I think you just need to pick one and stick with it or you will keep going round in circles :) I think unfortunately you will need to spend the extra to have it feel like a step above Reethi, just flutter your eyelashes at H2B!

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
504 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Final Honeymoon Post!

Megan - make sure you get a quote from a Kuoni agent such as Travel Designers. They will beat the Kuoni price by several hundred pounds.

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
504 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Final Honeymoon Post!

Megan - I've just checked back on your other threads and I see you are going in the summer school holidays. I don't know if you could wait a couple of weeks but late August would be much better than early August. Athu and Thudu are popular with Italian visitors and they tend to fill the islands up in early August. There's a big Italian holiday on the 15th August and there's always a gala dinner that day which is very nice. They usually all go home shortly after that and the last two weeks in August are much quieter (and possibly cheaper).

London, United...
Level Contributor
691 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Final Honeymoon Post!

Athuruga and Thudufushi are almost identical, and the differences are quite minor. I personally prefer Athuruga but only because the house reef has much better corals. The reef at Thudufushi is not as healthy but might make for a more interesting snorkeling experience if quantity of fish is more important to you. There are potentially more currents and choppier waters at Thudufushi due to its location on the edge of the atoll.

Regarding the rooms, I personally prefer the Beach Bungalows at Athuruga & Thudufushi to their Water Villas. I find the exterior of the Water Villas to be too stark and sterile, and the interior is too homely for my taste. I did split my stay between the two, but I would choose the Beach Bungalows if and when I return to either resort.

London, United...
Level Contributor
98 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Final Honeymoon Post!

Thanks everyone.

David I have contacted them and waiting on quotes. So far Little Luxury Islands are providing the best quotes for the islands (but they are 6K'ish in a beach bungalow).