We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Makunudu

London, England...
Level Contributor
23 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Makunudu

Does anyone have a personal experience with Makunudu? Our travel agent has just suggested this resort and I thought I'd throw it out here.

Some of the reviews are patchy, but overall it seems nice and well received. From some quick research, the emphasis is on how small it is... which, I wonder is a good call or not?

About our requirements/holiday for your info (as spied in the FAQs):

-Never been to the Maldives.

-It's our honeymoon.

-We will be spending 5 nights and it will be the end of our trip (having spent 8 nights in Sri Lanka prior to arrival (5 touring, 3 beach).

-A touch of luxury as it's our honeymoon and it's the Maldives, but our budget isn't endless.

-Would like to snorkel, but we're complete novices so it probably wouldn't take much to impress us!

-I suppose we're not that bothered about diving options.

-Not bothered about transfer type, we could do plane or speedboat.

-Need great food with lots of option.

-Night life/activities isn't as important as we're pretty self sufficient but I suppose a bit wouldn't go a miss.

-As few children as possible...

So, has anyone been there? Would this fit the bill? ANY suggestions would be brilliant.

Thanks so much.

Swanwick, United...
Level Contributor
4,391 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Makunudu

I have not been there myself, but Sunlover (destination expert) has, maybe read her review.

It was an island that I had on my 'wish list', so have done a little research. What attracted me to it was the 'Eat anywhere' concept, but then I heard that this does not really work in reality? It is a small island with 36 rooms and no pool. I think the rooms are quite simple. No WV's. I think the sea is supposed to be quite shallow at low tide.

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,260 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Makunudu

i have already suggested makunudu in my very first reply to your other thread ... so yes, i have been there and liked it .

its a very beautiful and romantic little island with a reef for snorkeling . very comfy with a pleasant athmosphere .

you will not find "lots" of food options in such a small resort .. this is where you have to set priorities . do you want a large island with multiple food outlets (you are only staying for a very short time... ) or a small island with one buffet , a beach bar , etc . the difference is that in my experience, the large islands are not as private and romantic . the service is often just as good but not as personal and its kind of hard to get that "robinson island - away from it all" feeling among hundreds of other guests (my subjective feeling) on the flipside, a small island like makunudu is romantic , gorgeous and you can expect the staff to remember your preferences. its a choice only you can make for yourselves

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,260 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Makunudu

i forgot to say that all meals i had on makunudu were very good . i certainly didn't miss a thing.

france
Level Contributor
1,029 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Makunudu

I have been to makunudu, only for 2 nights but I liked it , food was very good, it is small, could be very romantic and is a pretty island.

The rooms were detached and a good size the bathroom was large with a powerful shower.

I think it would suit what you are looking for.

cassie

Hampshire, UK
Level Contributor
985 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Makunudu

I've not been to Makunudu but have done a similar trip to you, first time we went to the Maldives.

If you haven't booked yet I'd consider swapping your Sri Lanka beach stay for more nights in the Maldives. We stayed south of Colombo and it was the worst part of our trip - poor food, a beach swamped with sellers, lower quality rooms etc.

To do a seaplane island over 5 nights could mean only 4 decent days in resort depending on international flight times so worth bearing that in mind.

London, England...
Level Contributor
23 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Makunudu

Spammie - it was because of your suggestion in the other thread that we have this option, so thank you again.

I should clarify about the food. I meant more that it was a varied menu and that every day is not the same. We are not picky eaters at all, but we do prefer quality. We don't require several restaurants if the one they have is up to scratch.

Reading some comments is reassuring, and I appreciate them, but there is something holding me back still. I'm not sure why but this just doesn't give off the same luxurious air as some of the others. Maybe it's because it is not 4 stars like the others? Seeing 5-star reviews of a 3+ star resort is great but it begs the question, did they set their standard lower than they would have for a 4 star. The answer is likely to be yes.

Also, I am confident in our scheduled flight times as well as the beach hotel we have in Sri Lanka as a friend has stayed there. But we are open to cutting out a day there to get a different resort. Komandoo has just come up from the agent but it would be in a JWV as that's all they have available which would absolutely blow our budget. But could be worth it?

I'm basically just completely confused and drowning in resort reviews/budget options/possibilities.

Liverpool
Level Contributor
5,300 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Makunudu

The water villas at Komandoo are excellent, amd that os coming from someone who doesn't like water villas. I haven't been to Makunudu though so can't make a comparison. I also thought the food was good at Komandoo.

The island does have wave breakers partly visible around a fair amount of the perimeter though, and this does put some people off. Have to say they did not bother us much when we were there.

uk
Level Contributor
120 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Makunudu

Hi

We spent two weeks on Makunudu, a few years ago. It is a lovely island, and the food was good generally, and varied. The public spaces and service were great. The downside for me were the rooms. They are detached which is a big plus , but when we went they were a bit tired. Clean and roomy but functional and not luxurious at all, so your instincts are probably right,if luxury is important to you.

I dont know what the budget is but we found Angsana Ihuru was an upgraded maunudu, with all the same good things and none of the bad ones, and ticks your boxes, but as is often the issue with the Maldives its about the money

It is the place to go,but as many say it is an expensive addiction

salbeth

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,260 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Makunudu

i concur .. the rooms at makunudu are just fine for me .. but its not versailles .. which is thankfully reflected in price . the rest of the island makes up for it in my mind .

ihuru is indeed a class better but it does have the pricetag to come with it as well .

just depends on your priorities and what your budget can stretch to.

i honestly think you will be enchanted , whichever island you choose

Hampshire
Level Contributor
2,395 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Makunudu

Hello

Rooms are comfortable - not 5 star posh, but relaxing and clean.

I actually think the food is a highlight on this resort as the Dinners alternate between a set menu (with some choices) and buffet the following day. I visited last December (only for lunch) and the food was a very high standard with a very good and tasty variety.

The sand on the beaches was a bit gritty and not the finest.

I would however definitely like to revisit for a week of blissful relaxation.

Thanks

Richard from PurelyMaldives