We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cruise ship day trips

Cheltenham, United...
Level Contributor
280 posts
Save Topic
Cruise ship day trips

Have just read that the cruise liners that dock up in the port offer day trips to the nearby resort islands for their passengers. Whilst I understand they would love to visit the islands I really do not fancy the idea of my idillic white sands beach being invaded by hoards of visitors......I am after some R&R !! Hope this doesn't sound too selfish of me to ask but which island resorts do the cruise shops use ??

Cumbria, United...
Level Contributor
3,446 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cruise ship day trips

I think it depends on the individual cruise ship itinerary but from previous threads on this topic the resort islands of Kurumba, Full Moon, Bandos, Kandooma and Dhonvelii, also the uninhabited islands of Kuda Bandos and Maadhoo, have been offered as excursions.

Bear in mind tourists, even those staying in a resort, cannot just turn up at a/another resort without prior agreement and (from previous posts) numbers are limited and access to such things as sunbeds/bar/restaurant is generally limited.

sg2
Brighton, United...
Destination Expert
for Marsa Alam
Level Contributor
4,115 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cruise ship day trips

I would suggest if you choose islands which require a sea plane transfer ie more than an hour by boat or in a different atoll than Male , you are unlikely to be bothered by cruise ships and their passengers.

Sg

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cruise ship day trips

I don't think there is hoards of tourists turning up. I don't actually know for a fact, but the impression I have gotten from recent threads on this give the impression it's just a few, with weird restrictions in some...like dont use the in loungers:))

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
710 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cruise ship day trips

Are there actual 'Cruise Ships'? Or just dive/snorkel boats witharound 40-60 people?

Surely the Maldives is too shallow for a cruise ship?

Cumbria, United...
Level Contributor
3,446 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cruise ship day trips

Actual cruise ships - Costa Neo Romantica with capacity for 1346/1440 passengers, 610 crew and a draft of 7.6m was due in Male on 8/11/2012 for a few hours and is timetabled to be back in Feb 2013 for example. As well as liveaboards and local based ships like AE and Yasawa

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
710 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cruise ship day trips

Wow, that would be enough to put me off.

Level Contributor
1,608 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cruise ship day trips

Gosh, me too, my parents would probably be on it! ( whom I love dearly)

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
710 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cruise ship day trips

...and my parents! They love telling us about dinner with the captain.....snooze :)

Level Contributor
1,608 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cruise ship day trips

Do they email/ text you photo's of what they had for dinner too?

10. Re: Cruise ship day trips

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2013, 17:17