We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Urgent camera required for the Maldives?

London, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Urgent camera required for the Maldives?

Really need your help all!

I will be in Maldives in 2 days and need a camera to take good shots during the day and especially at night with little or no lights.

I have heard the stars from the resorts look amazing at night and it would be really nice to capture them as apart of the memory too.

Budget of up to £500

Thanks!

Surrey
Level Contributor
219 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Urgent camera required for the Maldives?

Try the Canon Powershot SX40HS, if you shop around you can pick it up for under £300. It has a super powerful zoom, meaning you can capture great shots of the moon and stars. I surprised myself and grabbed a shot of Jupiter (or one of its moons, a couple of weeks ago). It would be an idea to include a tripod too, unless you already have one.

Kent, England
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Urgent camera required for the Maldives?

You don't need particularly great zoom to take pictures of the stars, I can get them with my normal compact, you just need a tripod and the longest possible exposure.

However, I can say that I am a big Canon fan and would highly recommend their cameras.

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Maldives
Level Contributor
11,394 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Urgent camera required for the Maldives?

i agree with Jody, the zoom has nothing to do with shooting sky full of stars. on the contrary, you need a good wide-angle.

i use Canon FullFrame DSLR for my work, but when it comes to compact cameras, Sony are the best i have ever used. But nowadays the market is full of compact cameras, Sony or canon or olympus etc etc, just make sure you buy one that has manual settings :)

and yes, tripod is a MUST

Biggin Hill
Level Contributor
598 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Urgent camera required for the Maldives?

Have a look at the Canon S100 and the underwater housing as well - Hubbie got both last month for under £500, great land shots and fantastic for snorkelling or diving

Surrey
Level Contributor
219 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Urgent camera required for the Maldives?

With a Canon

flickr.com/photos/…

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Maldives
Level Contributor
11,394 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Urgent camera required for the Maldives?

very nice pic solarsid, but as i mentioned before, but there is a big difference between shooting the moon and shooting starry skies ;)

Hampshire
Level Contributor
2,389 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Urgent camera required for the Maldives?

Wow - great photo Sid.

Amazing what consumer level cameras can do nowadays.

Thanks

Richard

London, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Urgent camera required for the Maldives?

Thanks for all the replies!

How is the new Sony RX100 in comparison to the Canons?

London, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Urgent camera required for the Maldives?

Thaks for all the replies!

How is the new Sony RX100 in comparison to the Canons?

The Canon Powershot SX40HS is not a compact camera and I've read the Nikon D5100 is probably the best DSLR non compact mid range camera on the market. What are your thoughts on this?

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Maldives
Level Contributor
11,394 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Urgent camera required for the Maldives?

the powershot sx40 is a bridge that has a lens that goes from 24mm to 840mm zoom,

Sony has a very good carl zeiss lens but is less wider than the canon and has very little zoom (only 3x)

As for the Nikon, very good entry level slr with APS-C sensor, but you will have to spend more money on buying lenses for it.