We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

suggestion for taking parents to maldives

Boracay
Level Contributor
12 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
suggestion for taking parents to maldives

Hi

My wife and I are hoping to take both sets of our parents to the Maldives for their special birthdays (cannot mention the age :) )

We have visited 1 time and stayed at vilamendhoo and had a great time but so we have a new experience aswel,l we wanted some idea of a similar island (and budget) that would make for a special memory for our parents

Also they are really keen on taking a seaplane, so ideally an island that needs seaplane transfer.

Hoping to hear your thoughts

thanks in advance

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,039 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: suggestion for taking parents to maldives

how about kuramathi ?

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: suggestion for taking parents to maldives

That's a lovely thing to do. What about angaga?

Bedford
Level Contributor
4,019 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: suggestion for taking parents to maldives

Reethi!

What a lovely idea to take your parents on holiday. One day it might happen like that for us. Meanwhile it is we who continue to take 40 and 41year old sons plus kids etc away. (Thinks gloomily of balance due on 27th December)

Edited: 01 December 2012, 06:33
suffolk
Level Contributor
3,631 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: suggestion for taking parents to maldives

What do you want from your island? Vila size or smaller? Snorkelling/diving? Board basis? Happy with AI buffet?

I to would also suggest Reethi as we've always found the guests to be of a more mature age. Vila we found to be more lively.

John

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
9,417 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: suggestion for taking parents to maldives

Hi

Lovely idea. What time of year are you thinking of going as season has a big impact on costs?

If you are looking for somewhere small and quiet with good snorkelling then Angaga certainly fits the bill. Prices will probably have risen significantly since your visit, so it would be helpful if you could indicate your total budget for the 6 of you. This will stop us suggesting islands that are way too expensive.

OD

Liverpool
Level Contributor
5,300 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: suggestion for taking parents to maldives

I'm printing this thread off and sending copies to the kiddies. Well they have been asking me what I want for Christmas....

If you are looking at similar budget to Vila, then as mentioned above Reethi is often compared favourably to Vila by those who have been to both, if you can live with the lesser reef quality.

Unless snorkelling and / or high quality dive sites are the main priority I personally prefer Reethi Beach to Angaga as a better overall island, better value too.

Ian

Boracay
Level Contributor
12 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: suggestion for taking parents to maldives

we are planning on middle of september as this is when the birthdays are. I know its low season but the timing has been agreed already.

As regards what we want, as always with a group, everyone has their own personal tastes, so theres 2 divers, 3 that will snorkel, 2 that want to sun bathe, but we all enjoy a sunset drink and chatting in the evenings so really its an island that offers a bit of everything. Thats why originally we thought of Vila as that seemed to offer something for all so if Reethi is of similar nature i may have a search for that resort but other options are appreciated.

As regards costs we paid around $330usd AI per room per night at Vila last sept so around this budget, as unfortunately we dont have unlimited funds :)

thanks for all your suggestions

Europe
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
2,332 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: suggestion for taking parents to maldives

would take them to filitheyo or reethi beach.

Bedford
Level Contributor
4,019 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: suggestion for taking parents to maldives

Have been to both Vila and Reethi, and much preferred Reethi.

Ian, good idea, might try it on our two. Don't hold out much hope though.

Boracay
Level Contributor
12 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: suggestion for taking parents to maldives

Thanks for all your replys.

Ok by the looks of it its between Reethi, Filitheyo or Kuramathi.

For arguments sake if they were all the same price which would be the best option for a general all round maldives experience for good food, beach relaxing, some snorkeling and diving and general quality time with our parents?