We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help me to choose between these options?

Northwich, United...
Level Contributor
1,500 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Help me to choose between these options?

Please could you help me find the best resort for me and my OH.

We want to go for 1wk next May, and have the following prices:

Biyadhoo AI £2181

Hudhuranfushi AI £2261

Chaaya reef ellaidhoo AI £2373

Meedhupparu AI £2542 sea plane transfer

Kuredu AI £2728 sea plane transfer

Centara ras fushi AI £3039

I have never been to the maldives before, I would like a relaxed island but not just honeymooners. Must be all inclusive with nice food, nothing stuffy just a good buffet and maybe a steak restaurant, dont want to have to share tables. Some cocktails included in the AI. Nice beach with plenty of space.

If anyone could tell me the positive and negative of the above resorts, as I dont know where to start!

Thanks

lancashire
Level Contributor
756 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Help me to choose between these options?

Check out athuruga , thudufushi , not sure of the cost though ,,,, kuoni only or an agent .

Kent, England
Level Contributor
4,468 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help me to choose between these options?

You have such a range of resorts there that its hard to know what your priorities are! I dont know of any 'steak restaurants' in the Maldives, some islands may have a la cartes that serve steak but they generally aren't part of the all inclusive deal.

Are you looking for snorkeling? A lot of those islands have poor reefs or no shore snorkeling.

What is your maximum budget?

Kent, England
Level Contributor
4,468 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help me to choose between these options?

Before I start I will add the caveat that ive been to none of these....

Biya - probably too basic for me, not keen on rooms in blocks but would consider as reef pretty good.

Hud - not for me. Poor reviews, markets itself as a surfers island.

Meed - it did have a horrid sea wall but I understand that work has been done on it so maybe not such an issue anymore.

Ella - probably the only real consideration for me, good reef but lack of beach in some areas. Would have to get sea plane upgrade though, speedboat too long.

Kuredu - too big, on shore snorkeling and horrid class system meaning not all bars available to everyone.

Islands of a similar price I would consider - kuramathi, reethi, meeru if snorkeling not important, vilamendhoo, velidhu, angaga?

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
709 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help me to choose between these options?

I agree with Jody - it depends what you want.

I have been to Biyadhoo which has fairly good snorkeling, but as Jody mentioned it is very basic.

But if you're not interested in snorkeling, then some of the islands above would be better than Biyadhoo. A friend from work has been to Kuredu and loved it that much they are going back for a second trip.

So snorkeling / no snorkeling will influence recommendations :)

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,955 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help me to choose between these options?

Agree with all Jody's comments and recommendations.

Would pick Biya for the reef but food isn't a big consideration for us - basic buffet is fine as long as there's no table sharing lol.

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,955 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help me to choose between these options?

Kuredu's reef is a long swim or a boat ride from the reviews I've read.

Northwich, United...
Level Contributor
1,500 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help me to choose between these options?

Sorry yes I should of said that snorkeling is very important, and as close as possible as I am not a confident swimmer in open water, so wouldn't want to be too far out.

I have only looked at Hayes and Jarvis so far, I will have a look for other prices tomorrow.

Dates I can travel are end of may, or end of June. I know weather can be dodgy at this time but I dont mind.

Maximum budget is 3k for 2 adults (could possibly stretch another couple of hundred).

Thanks for your help :)

Edited: 01 December 2012, 23:28
Kent, England
Level Contributor
4,468 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help me to choose between these options?

ok, so scrap HUD, kuredu and ras fushi based on snorkeling requirement.

Price up vilamendhoo and angaga through Thomson, I would say embudu too but there is some table sharing although you may be ok in the lower reason.

Also try travel bag, they have had some good summer prices.

Northwich, United...
Level Contributor
1,500 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help me to choose between these options?

Thanks Jody I will get on to it first thing tomorrow. :)

Cumbria, United...
Level Contributor
3,446 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help me to choose between these options?

Hi Debbie

Of your list I have been to Biyadhoo and Chaaya Reef Ellaidhoo.

Both islands suit us as we are keen snorkellers and divers and both have good accessible reefs. Biyadhoo has a more chilled feel and better beach area, although the beach doesn't extend completely around the island. Ellaidhoo has a small beach area perhaps extending around a quarter of the island. It also has two surrounding walls - an outer sea defence which has gaps through which you access the reef and an inner retaining wall which has steps down for access to the water. This creates a small sandy safe lagoon all around the island and the walls provide a habitat for all manner of small fish but I know many are put off by having any sea defences in sight together with a limited beach area. Ellaidhoo has the better coral - part of the reef is a vista of table coral . However this means that fish life can appear sparse because it can easily hide away - you have to get to know how the shoals of fish move around the reef and snorkel different areas. It does however attract many larger varieties - mantas were frequently seen along the house reef in March and October this year as well as sharks and turtles. Biyadhoo has less coral but more visable fish life (shoals of fusilliers, sergeant majors etc) you should also see sharks, octopus and a turtle if he's around. Both islands sit near channels and both are subject to some currents - you would definitely benefit from using fins at either.

For food and accommodation Ellaidhoo wins hands down. There are 4 choices of accommodation and all are of a good standard. There is one restaurant for the WVs and one restaurant for all the other grades of accommodation. There are always 4/5 live cooking stations at lunch and dinner together with a choice of curries, salads, breads and desserts. It isn't Cordon Bleu but then it is only a 3 3 1/2 star rated island.

Biyadhoo accommodation is well documented as being in great need of refurbishment. It is very basic - think the most basic greek self catering but without the kitchenette. Accommodation is in 6 two storey blocks of 18 rooms each. We have always found them to be clean and fit for purpose but then we are driven by a budget that has to stretch cover our diving so we are happy to compromise on this. Food choice is much more limited - good but anyone looking for a culinary experience will be disappointed. There is one restaurant which is enclosed - sorry no steak restaurants - did have steak as part of a 'Pergola ' 4 course meal there but NOT as part of the AI.

I'd have to agree to scrapping Hudhuran Fushi - spent half a day there and experienced food, accommodation and reef. If you are going with snorkelling high on your list its nowhere near either Biya or Ellaidhoo.

Also bear in mind your Ellaidhoo price is likely to include transfer by speedboat which is around 85 minutes travelling between atolls - it can be very choppy in the wet season or during the transition between the two monsoon periods. A seaplane transfer will set you back a fair bit more but it is an experience not to be missed. Biya is a speedboat transfer of about 40 minutes - no seaplane option.

H