We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Confused..Reethi Transfer

ESSEX
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Topic
Confused..Reethi Transfer

I have booked to go to Reethi the first two weeks of April next year. When I booked it said I would transfer to the resort via the new Dharavandhoo Airport. Having been to Reethi before in 2011 we had travelled that time by sea plane. When I asked the travel agent what this meant they said they hadn't heard this before and so checked and then came back to me and said yes it's it's a new airport but still a sea plane.

I have Reethi on my Facebook and it was posted yesterday that the new Dharavandhoo Airpot was opened on 30th November and they welcome it's first guest who were then transferred to Reethi by a 15min speedboat transfer. They also explained that the land based aircraft connecting Male International to Dharavandhoo Airport offers the benefit of flying at night and that tour operators are offering this as a ALTERNATIVE to the seaplane.

Sorry to be so long winded but does anyone have any information what type of planes they are if they are not sea planes. We love the sea plane transfer, all adds to the pleasure of the holiday so am confused as to what to expect.

suffolk
Level Contributor
3,628 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Confused..Reethi Transfer

I know about the airport opening but didn't know Reethi were going to use it.

The planes will be the 17 seater ones used elsewhere for internal flights.

I'll check it out and report back.

John

Folkestone, United...
Destination Expert
for Southern Ari Atoll, Maldives
Level Contributor
2,847 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Confused..Reethi Transfer

Hi Mollylu

This will be an internal flight on wheel based planes just like going up to Island Hideaway but beware you and your baggage get weighed on internal flights. Don't worry they don't fly high or fast so you get similar views to a seaplane and are more or less the same size.

Regards

Doug

Liverpool
Level Contributor
5,300 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Confused..Reethi Transfer

The info on our booking for next April says seaplane transfer..

Ian

Swanwick, United...
Level Contributor
4,356 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Confused..Reethi Transfer

I don't know anything about the new airport but have taken several internal flights in the Maldives before. The aircraft are Dash 8 twin props, Like the FlyBe ones here in the UK..

You get a very similar view than you do from a seaplane(as KentDougal says) but because they do go higher than the seaplane you do get to see entire atoll formations, so it is very interesting and beautiful.

I didn't get weighed on the last flight I took, but have been previously.

The aircraft have a toilet and are more comfortable than a seaplane (aircon, legroom etc)

As someone that is really afraid of flying I can recommened the experience. We are taking one of these flights ourselves in Jan.

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
9,417 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Confused..Reethi Transfer

Hi

Assuming the airline is Maldivian, the planes will be Dash8 Turboprop aircraft:

http://www.maldivian.aero/Fleet

OD

ESSEX
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Confused..Reethi Transfer

Thank you all for your replies, looks like it will be a new experience then. As long as it gets us there i'll be happy. It does annoy me though when travel agents just tell you what they think you want to hear.

By the way Ian we booked with Kuoni and flying with British Airways. May see you there.

ESSEX
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Confused..Reethi Transfer

Thank you all for your replies, looks like it will be a new experience then. As long as it gets us there i'll be happy. It does annoy me though when travel agents just tell you what they think you want to hear.

By the way Ian we booked with Kuoni and flying with British Airways. May see you there.

Oh and Doug, looks like me and the other half may have to start that diet if they weigh US and the luggage. Lol

Kent, England
Level Contributor
4,468 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Confused..Reethi Transfer

I'm another going in April and my paperwork says seaplane too!

Oooh-err

suffolk
Level Contributor
3,628 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Confused..Reethi Transfer

Straight from the horses mouth........or rather from the Front Office Managers!!!....

Quote........We do offer the transfer by domestic flight as an alternative to the seaplane transfer as it is slightly cheaper, however, seaplane transfers are still the main mode of transfer currently.

We are in the means of receiving our own speedboat which we will be using for the transfers from and to Dharavandhoo. This takes about 15 to 20 minutes depending on the weather......Unquote.

It puzzled me as I knew Reethi didn't have their own speedboat but that question has also been answered.

John

ESSEX
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Confused..Reethi Transfer

Hi Jody, who did you book with?