We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

which would you pick

London, United...
1 post
Save Topic
which would you pick

9 nights end of feb, which would you go for (first and second choice)?

park hyatt hadaaha

banyan vibbanfarru

athruruga

coco palm

lily

adaaran (prestige)

all within budget, aim is relaxation, good snorkelling, luxury, good food. couples holiday.

and cocoa island....is it much better than any of the above?

thanks

Secret Paradise
Boat Tours, Walking Tours, Scuba & Snorkeling, Cultural Tours, Private Tours
Europe
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
2,489 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: which would you pick

1- Cocoa (For me yes, it is my favorite in the country if you are after quiet, serenity, tranquility) Especially one-bedroom villas are AMAZING! Snorkeling in terms of corals are not impressiıve, but the fish life is excellent, one of the best in the Maldives as it is located on a pretty active channel) And the views, color of the water at Cocoa, I've seen nowhere else, and I've been some of the most beautiful islands including W, Kandholhu, Banyan, Coco Palm.

2- Hadahaa (haven't been to, but No. 1 on my list, reserched it to death)

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,373 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: which would you pick

wasn't impressed with cocoa at all .. but then W is one of the ugliest islands (maldivian manhatten) to my subjective taste .. so azure and i obviously just have a different outlook - nothing wrong with that.

park hyatt .. have not been but it has recently gotten some good press here in the forum and i plan on visiting.

vabbinfaru ... ok hotel, poor snorkeling, mediocre food , bad beach erosion , the fences make me claustrophobic .. didn't like the athmosphere

athuruga .. awesome island .. fantastic reef .. beautiful beach .. great food .. lovely staff .. pleasant athmosphere (been 4 times)

coco palm - which one ? i wasn't keen on either. DK has horrible beaches .. an uninpressive small bit of reef. boduhiti has a little better reef (nothing special though) and one pretty side - one bad one.

lily beach .. very family friendly .. good reef .. some very poorly situated villas .. wavebreaker wall .. mediocre food .. unpleasant vibe

aadaran prestige ... one of the 5 ugliest resort islands i know . some snorkeling .. the watervilla fenced complex shares infrastructure with the 3 star part of the island. no way would i waste a lot of money on this set up.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: which would you pick

Wow. Type less.

N T
London, United...
10 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: which would you pick

so many great reviews on athuruga....what holds this place back from being 5*?? Cant seem to understand why its only 4* if it is favoured to many 5* and 5* deluxe resorts also in maldives?????

Baldock, United...
Level Contributor
843 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: which would you pick

The beach villas although lovely are not "de-luxe" like 5 star resorts that have fantastic bathrooms, jacuzzis etc. mind you the Water Villas are beautiful but still no super bath tubs and jacuzzis. I would say Athuruga is slightly more rustic, natural and lovely island. I would give it 5 stars but it's the extra's that count for 5 stars.

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,373 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: which would you pick

stars mean nothing , in the end . one of the reasons why athuruga isn't 5 star rated is the absense of a pool . to most of us , that is a bonus, not a negative.

on the other hand i personally would never dream of rating adaaran prestige as 5* .. even if a whole flock of butlers was following me around.

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: which would you pick

No way is athuruga a 5 star hotel/resort. 4 stars is fair. When you are at a 5 star, you know it. A 5 star establishment can cook a fried egg and allows you access to all the drawers in your bedroom. Unfortunately athuruga cannot deliver lol

Tamworth
Level Contributor
32 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: which would you pick

Hi All,

With many visits to the Maldives under my belt I can honestly say that:

A) If its 5 star you are after, go for a purpose built 5 star resort. ie £6000 grand each at least.

B) Research the island you are interested in. Most are 3 or 4 star upgraded with a few bells and whistles added calling themselves 5 star.

Overall there is a massive void between 4 star and 5 star islands. There are a large amount of 5 star pretenders.

Regards Bluedog

9. Re: which would you pick

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 December 2013, 07:15