We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Water Bungalows - General Question

Wrexham, United...
7 posts
Save Topic
Water Bungalows - General Question

I have been reading through reviews and notice that some people say you can feel water bungalows moving slightly with the waves? I was just wondering whether this is the case? Thanks

suffolk
Level Contributor
3,630 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Water Bungalows - General Question

We have only ever spent one night in a water villa in 11 trips.

I've never heard anyone say that they move, more that the noise of the water lapping underneath is a distraction if you are a light sleeper.

The other drawback is that you have to walk down a jetty (long or short) to get to the beach....not all water villas have direct access to the sea.

Personal taste other than that.

John

Folkestone, United...
Destination Expert
for Southern Ari Atoll, Maldives
Level Contributor
2,850 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Water Bungalows - General Question

HI sammkt

I've never felt any movement and would suggest it's an illusion from watching the ocean swell. They are built on stilts dug and concreted into the coral reef if they moved they would eventually fall over

Regards

Doug

Edited: 21 December 2012, 09:12
Swanwick, United...
Level Contributor
4,362 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Water Bungalows - General Question

Never felt them move either and we have stayed in three, all in very different classes. Chaaya Reef Ellaidhoo, Constance Moofushi and Shangri-la Villingili. I love water villas, but I do like open air bathrooms in the Maldives and not all water villas have these. Also worth checking that the villa you choose has steps down to the ocean. You also get less creepy crawlies in WV 's. I have felt a strange sensation when walking along the jetty though, as KentDougal suggests probably just an illusion, or too much wine with lunch! :).

Europe
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
2,248 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Water Bungalows - General Question

actually they rotate around the island at night, but it didn't bother us since they come back to their original position in the morning :)

Edited: 21 December 2012, 09:31
Wrexham, United...
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Water Bungalows - General Question

Thanks all :) I thought it sounded a bit odd but after reading it in several comments it did make me wonder! Thanks :)

Swanwick, United...
Level Contributor
4,362 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Water Bungalows - General Question

If you are in a wooden WV you can feel the wind buffeting against it in bad weather. Perhaps that is what was meant by them moving.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Water Bungalows - General Question

I think turquoise is right, it's probably weather related, as opposed to the waves.

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
287 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Water Bungalows - General Question

They most definately do move, but only at night and when I've gone through the entire cocktail list ;-0

Scotland
Level Contributor
368 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Water Bungalows - General Question

I stayed in a watervilla and I can't recommend it enough. We had great weather so never experienced a storm while in one though

Cotswolds, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives, North Male Atoll, Southern Ari Atoll, Lhaviyani Atoll
Level Contributor
4,638 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Water Bungalows - General Question

It DOES move slightly when there is a storm! Or rough seas. Rough seas it is ok but can be frightening in the middle of a storm and you daren't walk on the walkway for refuge as you know you wouldn't be able to stand up (and that is without having an alcoholic drink!) ......

AG