We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which island has the best fish life? Athuruga perhaps?

Europe
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
2,235 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Which island has the best fish life? Athuruga perhaps?

My experience having snorkeled the reefs of W, Kandholhu, Cocoa, Coco Palm DK, Ihuru, Zitahli and Banyan Tree, I would say Cocoa has the best, most vibrant fish life.

I haven't been to Athuruga, but looking at the snorkeling photos there, I believe it must be one of the very best in terms of fish life.

Which island's reef in your experience had the best fish life so far? In terms of huge schools of fish, as wells as different, uncommon, exciting types of fish.

London, United...
Level Contributor
691 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which island has the best fish life? Athuruga perhaps?

It's very difficult for me to rate islands based on quantity of fish life, as it's not a factor that is constant on a day to day basis. I don't remember Athuruga as being any better or worse for fish life when compared to other top house reefs. The pictures and videos online are a testament to this uncertainty and variability, as you can find instances of both vibrant and sparse fish life on the reef. There are some exceptions, such as when an island's location is more inclined to the passage of fish- near a channel, for example. But even that is not a rule that is observed 100% of the time.

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
287 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which island has the best fish life? Athuruga perhaps?

Biyadhoo

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,269 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which island has the best fish life? Athuruga perhaps?

the most Kg of fish per dive Ive seen was off Lohi' , I think it was called " the aquarium" could hardly see ocean for the volume of fish.

Most variety in one dive was from Reethi, on a wall dive.

Cant give much of an opinion on snorkelling as I rather like the shallows and rocky outcrops and annoying the odd octopus or baby box fish!

,I also think those unsightly sea defences that many people avidly avoid seem to teem with life. I think you see almost as much being patient in a small area, than going up and down a reef drop off with the current and not staying in one place for very long.

Level Contributor
67 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Which island has the best fish life? Athuruga perhaps?

A lot of people might not agree but I actually prefer Bora Bora...I know, it's not Mirihi....

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
13,919 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which island has the best fish life? Athuruga perhaps?

in direct opposition to chinaroses .. my vote goes for mirihi, followed by maayafushi

Europe
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
2,235 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which island has the best fish life? Athuruga perhaps?

really Spammie, Mirihi has more and better fish life than Athuruga?

Since you've been to both many times, can you confirm that in terms of snorkeling (not diving) is mirihi's reef superior for the fish life (not coral) than Athuruga's?

Thanks.

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,955 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which island has the best fish life? Athuruga perhaps?

Vilamendhoo - fish soup.

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
13,919 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which island has the best fish life? Athuruga perhaps?

azure ... i think it depends on a lot of factors .., time of year .. current .. weather . the other thing is that the mirihi watervillas are right above the reeftop so you spend some "lazy time" on the deck while still watching the fish. this is actually how i watched my first mating octupus couple. the other factor is how far one ventures out while snorkeling ... and yes, its entirely possible that my view is tainted by diving as well .

Europe
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
2,235 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which island has the best fish life? Athuruga perhaps?

yeah, you're right, spammie... will be there in mirihi in 9 days, hopefully it'll be amazing... I requested a higher number villa in the semi-circle for deeper water, wasn't the right decision? is the semi-circle slightly better than the straight line of villas, what do u think? or any last minute tip you can give us regarding what to request. I know that such request are not guaranteed and all roooms are full, but perhaps one can still give it a try.

London, United...
Level Contributor
691 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which island has the best fish life? Athuruga perhaps?

In my experience, Mirihi was not noticeably better for fish life than Athuruga. Again, it was the corals that stood out in my mind. The semi-circle location is more preferable than the straight line for snorkeling since it is more accessible at low tide. It is also closer to the area most recommened by Mirihi's dive center for the best chance of sea turtle and eagle ray spotting. This certainly seemed accurate when we were there, but it's certainly worth exploring all every bit of accessible reef over the course of your trip.