We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

So you LOVE the Maldives, but you can't go...

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
259 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
So you LOVE the Maldives, but you can't go...

I have the biggest dose of Maldivitus, but to very boring budgetary and work reasons its off the table this year :0( booo!

Everywhere else I look at just doesn't match up... is there any cure, can I get respite treatment elsewhere to tide me over?

Please help!!

Desperate under a grey sky somewhere in Surrey...

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
2,200 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: So you LOVE the Maldives, but you can't go...

Maybe there is a 12 step programme? ;)

London
Level Contributor
1,919 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: So you LOVE the Maldives, but you can't go...

We love the Maldives and always scrimp and save to go there. The only problem is that we just can't justify the prices they are asking. Just hoping that the Chinese and Russians decide to go somewhere else and then the prices can get a bit more realistic.

Biggin Hill
Level Contributor
583 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: So you LOVE the Maldives, but you can't go...

We have been really fortunate in the last few years having family to visit. Unfortunately their contract ends at the end of May and plans are afoot to move to Sharm for the summer and then look for a new job in Indonesia, reason, after 2 years in the Maldives they are bored. It would be my dream job, but then perhaps that is because I am in an office all day and have a teenager at home so I cant up sticks and do the beach bum bit!

We are off to visit again in just under 2 weeks time, and will definately try to fit in another 2 weeks before the end of May. After that if you find the solution to Maldiveitis, I may need to join the programme........

Yorkshire, United...
Level Contributor
210 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: So you LOVE the Maldives, but you can't go...

This year we can't justify the prices as I think the more you go the more you know what you want which for us means each trip has been getting more and more expensive. Just about to book Mexico which is half the price I know it won't be as magical but sure we will still have an amazing time.

Hopefully one day we will return to the most amazing place on earth........sob sob

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,955 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: So you LOVE the Maldives, but you can't go...

One much cheaper holiday which gives you the snorkelling buzz and the warm sea is Egypt's Marsa Alam in the summer months.

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
259 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: So you LOVE the Maldives, but you can't go...

Ooo Egypt, there's one to add to the list - thanks!

Also currently on the list is Mauritius, Hawaii, and Mexico too... All wonderful holiday destinations but sadly not the Maldives!

I agree the Russian and Chinese tourists seem to be pushing up the prices, it's a shame. Most other destinations seem to offer accommodation in all budgets, but the resorts in the Maldives all (or almost all) want to chase the high spenders seemingly at the expense of most other tourist classes...

I think I need to look into that 12 step programme... I fear there is no cure!

Still depressed, feeling a little depressed, grey and chilly in Surrey... Thinking of powder white sand, warm blue seas and balmy star light skies with a fruit bat in the tree and the phosphorensence glowing gently where the waves break...

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
4,175 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: So you LOVE the Maldives, but you can't go...

Interesting comment about the Russians and Chinese pushing up the prices - not quite sure how but in any case ... the year we didn't go to the Maldives we went to Russia and had a fantastic holiday and this year we are about to put deposit down for a China holiday! Yep, cheaper than a water villa in Komandoo ... Also, left it a little late, with Easter week availability being problematic and didn't want to go in May. OH also quite liked the idea of a change - though I will miss the Maldives badly, will enjoy it even more when we go again.

Edited: 07 January 2013, 23:03
Swindon, United...
Level Contributor
3,564 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: So you LOVE the Maldives, but you can't go...

And us Europeans have nothing to do with pushing up the prices.

London
Level Contributor
1,919 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: So you LOVE the Maldives, but you can't go...

I mentioned the Russian and Chinese as they seem to be newer markets for the Maldives. A lot of resorts are now chasing visitors from these countries. A few years ago a resort such as Lily Beach was mostly British and German guests with a few people from other European countries. Since the refurb the clientele has totally changed. You can't blame the resort owners for finding new markets but there seems to be an insatiable push to do more luxurious and expensive resorts, which seems to push up prices everywhere. While plenty of people are still going we just can't justify paying the crazy prices that are around right now. If we see a bargain though!!!! What I was trying to say was that with expanding markets the prices are going to get crazier in the future.

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,955 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: So you LOVE the Maldives, but you can't go...

If we hadn't already spent time in Mexico (and loved it, except for the jet ski) the prices for the AI adults only 5*s around Akumal and Tulum would make me forego the Maldives.

I think 10 days on Reethi next April and then I'm all out of islands which meet my criteria and budget!