We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Manta rays

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Manta rays

I'm planning a trip to the maldives for the 50th birthday of my friend, who has set her heart on swimming with mantarays. She can snorkel but not dive (neither can I) so is this possible and when and where is it best to go, to have the best chance of seeing them. Ps are they dangerous in any way?

Many thanks

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Manta rays

Thanks everyone for all your replies, that's really helpful.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Manta rays

Like Patrick D, I'm also wondering if anyone has seen mantas around Robinson Club?

Paris, France
5 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Manta rays

We just came back from the Maldives 3 days ago - and yes, we swam with manthas, and yes, it was fantastic. Magnificent creatures, they are not dangerous at all. They can be pretty big, but they feed on planctons.

Anyway, we were in Kuredu Island Resort, there the underwater life is thrilling - we saw blacktip reef sharks, lots of turtles (3-4 per day, even near the cost), sting rays, dolphins and mantha rays on a boat trip, and literally hundreds of fishes.

We published a short slide show on youtube if you are interested:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUPYVKxp5Us

Just for information: we are not divers, just snorkellers, and not even very good at it. The amazing thing is that sometimes you can spot even from the cost fantastic seacreatures, you don't have to go into the water. But if you do... you won't regret it. It is just breathtaking.

Edited: 20 January 2013, 10:57
14. Re: Manta rays

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 January 2014, 06:16