We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Split trip between islands or stay at one for 10 day trip?

New York
Level Contributor
177 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Split trip between islands or stay at one for 10 day trip?

Hi- we are planning a 10 day honeymoon trip and are wondering whether there Is a reason to split the trip between two hotels/islands or just stay in one place? Is one island very different from another and how easy is it to get from one island to another?

Lincolnshire...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
9,237 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Split trip between islands or stay at one for 10 day trip?

Worst case: You can lose part/whole of a day with packing, waiting for your transfer out, travelling back to Male, waiting for the transfer, transferring, checking in, unpacking.......

This is because you may have to go back to Male to get the transfer to your 2nd island.

Direct transfer by boat will only work if the2 islands are close and are happy to organise a private transfer for you.

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
9,417 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Split trip between islands or stay at one for 10 day trip?

Hi

Posters are divided on this. Some enjoy the opportunity to try two islands and experience different atolls, different accommodation, different settings, different diving and snorkelling etc. Others, like me, would rather stay put for the whole time rather than bother with packing/unpacking and having to make the trip back to Male for my transfer.

As Lyn says, direct transfers are only viable if islands are close together, which rather defeats the object of changing islands.

OD

suffolk
Level Contributor
3,747 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Split trip between islands or stay at one for 10 day trip?

"which rather defeats the object of changing islands"

Not sure I agree with you there OD.

If you look at islands that are close enough for transfers without the need to return to Male, some are quite different......Vila and Angaga for the beaches (or lack of). Mirihi and Lux for the reef (or lack of). CPBH and Makanudu for the choice of dining (or lack of). Reethi Rah and Summer Island for the pretentiousness (my new word!) (or lack of).

If you chose carefully then two islands can be a complete contrast.

However, I do agree that all the packing and unpacking, checking out and checking in is a bit of a chore.

John

Cumbria, United...
Level Contributor
3,446 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Split trip between islands or stay at one for 10 day trip?

We have done a split holiday and enjoyed the difference between the 2 islands we had chosen (Biyadhoo and Reethi Beach). But we extended our holiday over 16 days to accommodate the transfer which was fortuitous because bad weather around Male meant it took half a day to transfer in the end.

Would we do it again - yes - but I would have doubts about doing it if we only had 10 days in the Maldives.

Liverpool
Level Contributor
5,300 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Split trip between islands or stay at one for 10 day trip?

Once I've unpacked me snorkel and planted my backside on a sunlounger, nothing would make me want to leave my island until the very end of my hols.

Can't see it being worth the hassle for me to pack and unpack my snorkel again and re-acquaint my backside with a new sunlounger.

But we're all different, especially as said above if you can choose islands carefully to try and minimise transfer time. Otherwise it could take anything from half a day or more, if at the mercy of seaplane transfers.

:)

Kent, England
Level Contributor
4,473 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Split trip between islands or stay at one for 10 day trip?

Ian, if all you pack is a snorkel I must admit to having second thoughts about sharing a dhoni with you!

I would split my holiday but only for a minimum of a week at each.

Liverpool
Level Contributor
5,300 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Split trip between islands or stay at one for 10 day trip?

Jody - the missus is in charge of packing, I bear no responsibility for what I'll turn up in! :)

I'm in charge of selecting, planning, booking, paying and gadgets only. Oh and jumping up and down on the suitcase so we can fasten it.

New York
Level Contributor
177 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Split trip between islands or stay at one for 10 day trip?

Thanks everyone, this was very helpful! I think we'll stay at just one atoll for this trip- such an ordeal to get to the Maldives from NYC to begin with.

9. Re: Split trip between islands or stay at one for 10 day trip?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 January 2014, 07:16