We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Underwater Compact Cameras

brentwood
Level Contributor
176 posts
133 reviews
Save Topic
Underwater Compact Cameras

Does anybody use or have used a Compact Undrwater Camera, and what sort of resuts did you get.

The last time we went i took some of those Dissposible cameras, a total waste of time.

I dont want to run to the expense of a SLR, but would like to get some half decent Photos.

the ones on line all say 5M depth, and as i will only be snorkeling that type would suit me best.

Any advice would be appreciated

Bamboos

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Underwater Compact Cameras

Olympus tough TG1. Check out my photos on my recent athuruga review.

Lincolnshire...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
8,499 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Underwater Compact Cameras

Have always used the olympus tough models, got the latest TG1 like Paul before going to komandoo last dec.

Manchester, England
Level Contributor
326 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Underwater Compact Cameras

I've recently bought the Canon Powershot D20. Not used it underwater yet (going to Athuruga in April) but so far it seems like a great camera, takes very good photos. Have seen underwater shots taken by others online and they look fab.

Porto Alegre, RS
Level Contributor
63 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Underwater Compact Cameras

We bought last year a Sony Cyber-shot DSC-TX10 Water proof ( 5,0m/16f) Please check out my photos on my recent Four Seasons Bora Bora review.

Porto Alegre, RS
Level Contributor
63 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Underwater Compact Cameras

Sorry, my underwater pictures were posted at Pure Snorkeling by Reef Discovery in Bora Bora

Norway
Level Contributor
819 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Underwater Compact Cameras

Canon Powershot, both D10 and D20, are great cameras and very affordable too. If price is an issue I would get the D10 as it is cheaper and the picture quality is excellent.

17. Re: Underwater Compact Cameras

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 January 2014, 17:38
Cotswolds, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives, North Male Atoll, Southern Ari Atoll, Lhaviyani Atoll
Level Contributor
4,688 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Underwater Compact Cameras

Without having to buy a housing and keeping it compact, Olympus Tough. Price wise they're reasonable price wise for what they are for snorkelling

I've since ugraded to a Canon with housing but still have the Olympus as can use the Canon for diving.

................AG

brentwood
Level Contributor
176 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Underwater Compact Cameras

Thanks for all your replies, They all seem positive on using a Compact, So now I start looking at what one to buy. Its good to hear your views having used them underwater, against the sales person in the shop who is just trying to make a sale.

Thanks again for the Help

Bamboos

Leicester
Level Contributor
204 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Underwater Compact Cameras

FWIW I found the Panasonic lumix FT- range excellent.

Had the old Olympus tough 750sw and that was poor due to so much shutter lag. Plus colour reproduction was poor. Not sure what they're like nowadays but the Pana FT2 is my weapon of choice.

Here are a few examples:

…photobucket.com/albums/…file-181.jpg

…photobucket.com/albums/…file-2461.jpg

…photobucket.com/albums/…file-246.jpg

…photobucket.com/albums/…file-1772.jpg