We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best house reef snorkelling spots

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
804 posts
238 reviews
Save Topic
Best house reef snorkelling spots

My wife and I love snorkelling (and been to some great iland spots in Fiji accessed from the beach) and was looking to go to the Maldives in late November for our Aniversary.

I have a number of questions

1)We want to get to the resort suggested by speedboat if possible as i don't like small planes?.

2) Which resorts have house reefs. (The resort must be assesible by Speedboats from the mainland)?.

3) Are they accessible from the overwater villa's at ALL tides?

4) Is the ocean normally clear at that time?.

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best house reef snorkelling spots

Erm .... There is no mainland

How much you wanna spend ?

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best house reef snorkelling spots

Many WVs have little water at low tide, not deep enough to snorkel to the reef (if there is a reef)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
804 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best house reef snorkelling spots

Paul,

How about Beachfront Villa's then for snorkelling inside the reef. Talking about speedboat travel from the airport (mainland ) to the resort

Cumbria, United...
Level Contributor
3,446 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best house reef snorkelling spots

Hi

If you are determined that a speedboat transfer is for you you are limiting yourself mainly to North and South Male atolls - there are maps here, the resort islands are in yellow - click on them for resort details.

www.mondomaldive.com/Maps/North_Male.html

www.mondomaldive.com/Maps/South_Male.html

The seaplanes may be small but the trip is well worth it and will open up greater possibilities to you.

The Maldives has no mainland - it is made up of 1190 islands some of which are uninhabited, others are locally inhabited islands and there are around 106 resort islands. The resort islands have one hotel, a bar/s, restaurant/s, dive/watersports centre and spa - you cannot easily hop or daytrip from island to island other than by organised excursion. Some resort islands have large shallow lagoons, others have house reefs, not all have water villa accommodation - a lot depends on how much you want to spend.

Not all water villas are built near the reef and you cannot always snorkel from them at low tide - much depends on the island.

November is traditionally the transitional period between the wet and dry monsoons but more recently this weather pattern has become more changeable. Typically the weather in this period will be more unpredictable and stormy, the seas more choppy and the sand disturbed however you could equally find yourself with wall to wall sunshine, calm seas and perfect viz.

As Paul says key to your island choice is the budget you have set.

Edited: 10 February 2013, 23:07
Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
17 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best house reef snorkelling spots

I am also currently looking at North or South Male Atoll, because of budgets (can't afford exp Seaplanes unfortunately!!) and could really use some advice!!

North Male options are: Paradise Island or Kurumba Maldives

South Male options are: coca Palm Dhuni Kolhu, Velassaru, Bandos or Holiday Inn Resort Kandooma

It's just myself & my wife, so which is best for snorkelling, etc?? and next question is food costs :)

thanks in advance all!!

Edited: 12 February 2013, 15:40
Hampshire, UK
Level Contributor
966 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best house reef snorkelling spots

It would probably help to read the FAQs and come back with more info, especially with regards to budget, what it needs to include, length of stay and time of year as this will greatly affect what islands are available to you.

Of those mentioned, I've only been to Velassaru which has no house reef. I believe Paradise Island is not a very good island and Holiday Inn has no reef but hopefully others who have visited will come along and help.

Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
17 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best house reef snorkelling spots

Thanks Parrotfish!

Was a quick post before I rushed out of the office, but some more info...

We'll be in the Maldives from Wed 6 until Fri 15 March this year. Because of budget I'm looking at splitting trip between 2 resorts. So something like 5 days at cheaper hotel, before spending 3 nights in a beach/water villa.

Happy to do HB, but anything incl. would be great! Our main activity would be snorkelling (scuba diving depending on cost).

Working on budget of about 2000-2500 USD, which is possible checking sites like agoda.com + hotelscombined.com (eg of cheaper option would be Kaani Beach Hotel)

Thanks again!

Cotswolds, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives, North Male Atoll, Southern Ari Atoll, Lhaviyani Atoll
Level Contributor
4,648 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best house reef snorkelling spots

North Male = Kurumba

South Male = Bandos

...................AG

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,113 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best house reef snorkelling spots

AG identified the only resorts from your list that have any snorkeling ..

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best house reef snorkelling spots

Cheap but great reef = biyadhoo, 40 min by speedboat

Probably about the same price as kandooma but with a reef = angsana Ihuru something like 20-25 min by speedboat

Kurumba is a flat shaped pebble throw from the airport and bandos is renowned for being very family (young kids) friendly