We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New to this!! Advice please - What Resort? July 2013

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Topic
New to this!! Advice please - What Resort? July 2013

Hi

My husband and I are looking at travelling to the Maldives in July 2013 from Brisbane Australia, via Singapore, staying for 5 nights at the Maldives.

This will be our first overseas trip, so we are very novice travellers.

I am finding it hard to decide on a resort, and after any recommendations for a "wow" trip to the Maldives. Being novices, I dont think we could really be disappointed, but want to make sure its as good as possible. Our all inclusive budget is $10 000AUD, which from what I gather is pretty achievable, allowing $2000-3000 spending money once we arrive.

My shortlist of resorts are: (in an overwater villa)

* Hilton

* Sheraton

* Anantara Veli

* Anantara Dhigu

* Conrad

* Lux

* Centara Ras Fushi

* Centara Grand (as they have an affordable ultimate all inclusive, but not exactly wow'ed by their resort website)

Its for our 5th wedding anniversary and a second honeymoon type thing as we had a rather simple first. Its a tick of the bucket list, so want it to be special!

Also would you recommend going through a travel agent, or would we get a lot better rates booking directly?

Anxious to get it sorted and book so the countdown can begin!!!

Thanks so much

Amanda

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,955 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New to this!! Advice please - What Resort? July 2013

Out of those, Conrad Rangali - for the reef and the luxury accommodation and dining options.

Lux - no house reef. Sheraton - very near the airport. Centara RF - unfinished and unreviewed. Centara Grand - family orientated.

Hampshire
Level Contributor
2,395 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: New to this!! Advice please - What Resort? July 2013

Hello Amanda

Like Xarla - I would urge you not to choose Sheraton - it is not Maldivian and not very pretty.

Is there any chance you can extend to 7 nights ? Through the low season a lot of resorts will offer a Stay 7 Pay 5 offer - so effectively you will pay the same for an additional 2 nights as you would have done for your original 5.

Thanks

Richard from PurelyMaldives

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: New to this!! Advice please - What Resort? July 2013

Thanks, we are leaving two young kids behind with their grandparents so 5 nights is already stretching it unfortunately allowing for travel time as well...!

Conrad looks amazing - do you think $2500AUD is enough to cover everything while on the island (meals, drinks, activities)? We arent big expensive eaters so would stick to the more simple dining options anyway? Throw in a couple of spa treatments, a sunset cruise and maybe some other things.... :-/ Its so confusing and overwhelming that we'll probably end up just not going! :(

Thanks for your help !

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: New to this!! Advice please - What Resort? July 2013

Im open to other recommendations that you think would suit our requirements, just to add to the confusion hehe :)

Or just add a bit to our budget and stay at Conrad...

Is there any way to access prices of the activities we would do prior to booking?

Are there any activities included for free?

Edited: 12 February 2013, 23:47
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: New to this!! Advice please - What Resort? July 2013

Kuramathi?

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,259 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New to this!! Advice please - What Resort? July 2013

from your list , definitely scrap sheraton and centara . i would go for conrad , being that its a special trip and you will create unforgettable memories

Lincolnshire...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
8,238 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New to this!! Advice please - What Resort? July 2013

To keep you going until she appears in person, see post 6 by kanthony (from Conrad) in this thread:

tripadvisor.co.uk/…45449053

Edited: 13 February 2013, 06:48
London, United...
14 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: New to this!! Advice please - What Resort? July 2013

will suggest you since it is july an off season, go for Luxury. Anantara Veli & Conrad are recommended out of experience.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: New to this!! Advice please - What Resort? July 2013

Have narrowed it down to Kuramathi or Conrad....

Price is the same for the following...$9000AUD

Conrad - flights, seaplane transfers, breakfast, dinner, no drinks, 5 nights water villa

Kuramathi - flights, seaplane, all meals in any restaurant, all drinks inc alcoholic, sunset cruise, island trip, 5 nights water villa with jacuzzi.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New to this!! Advice please - What Resort? July 2013

not been to conrad. been to kuramathi.

pick conrad every time if you can afford it...