We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which resort Vakarufalhi, Reethi or Komandoo

Wales, UK
Level Contributor
273 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Which resort Vakarufalhi, Reethi or Komandoo

Were trying to decide where to go for our honeymoon in October and have narrowed it down to 3 options and would appreciate some advice based on what is important to us :)

The three options are:

Vakarufalhi 4 nights Beach Villa 4 nights Water Villa

Reethi Beach Resort 4 nights deluxe villa 4 nights water villa

Komandoo 4 nights Beach Villa 4 nights Jacuzzi Water Villa

Kurmathi was another option but I think it might be too big?

What im wondering is which would be suitable for us based on the following?

Rooms - Nice modern rooms are what we are looking for. The beach villas MUST be right by the beach, we don't want one that is set back in the vegetation. They don't necessaries have to be massive!

House reef - Looking for a excellent house reef for snorkelling off the beach. I'm not really interested in diving but snorkelling off the beach im really looking forward to. Are any of the above more likely too see things like mantas, sharks and turtles?

Food - Which has the best standard of food? Do any of them let you use your full board buffet credit as discount against a a la carte menu?

Island vibe - As its our honeymoon we would definitely to stay in accommodation with privacy. At the same time we are in our mid twenties and would like to visit some nice bars in the evening. Were not bothered about loud music/ club vibes though, that's not what we are here for! :)

Any other suggestions that we may have missed?

Budget wise we are looking at £2500- £2700 max for FB

Edited: 13 February 2013, 09:46
Liverpool
Level Contributor
5,300 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which resort Vakarufalhi, Reethi or Komandoo

Can only really comment on Komandoo vs Reethi.

Not that there is anything wrong with the rooms at Reethi, but I wouldn't exactly describe them as modern. Komandoo wins out there. Food is good on Komandoo, but options are restricted. Dining options are better at Reethi, you get 10 or 15% discount in the a la cartes if on AI (and I think FB but the website will confirm that).

Reef wise, Komandoo has more coral, fish life about the same, possibly slightly more at Reethi. Mantas/Turtles etc have been spotted at both although Mantas not that common on house reef.

There is a bit more of an atmosphere (in a good way!) at Reethi, and more options re: bars etc.

Overall I'd class Komandoo as a step up from Reethi in terms of room quality etc., but I actually prefer Reethi as an overall package all things considered. Been to both twice, returning to Reethi in April.

Kuramathi is a lot larger than the others but have only visited there briefly several years ago. Great dining package if on Select AI.

Ian

Edited: 13 February 2013, 10:13
Cumbria, United...
Level Contributor
3,446 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which resort Vakarufalhi, Reethi or Komandoo

Of your list of 4 I have been to 2 - Reethi Beach and Vakarufalhi (although my visit was pre refurb in 2008).

Both islands have great accommodation but they are set back slightly in vegetation and under palm trees - the vegetation is kept to hold the sand in place plus it gives some welcome shade so I wouldn't discount an island on that basis - we aren't talking about rooms buried in undergrowth!. However from pictuires I think Komandoo might win over on that point.

Reethi is larger than Vakaru - not the size of Kuramathi though, both islands gave us the feeling of spaciousness. The rooms are perhaps slightly smaller on Reethi and Vakaru's were better IMHO (and that was before they refurb'ed them)

Reef -wise Vakaru would win hands down. You can snorkel completely around the island and there is a good balance of fish and coral particularly near the jetty. There are places where the reef is not so good but ie lots of sandy areas but we still saw fish, sharks and turtles regularly even in those areas. There are some sea defences and you can see them in any aerial shots of the island - they aren't intrusive (at least not to us) and were full of sealife. Reethi has an OK reef - there are plently of fish and you might (might!) see the odd passing manta. It isn't so diverse though. As a first time visitor either would meet and exceed your expectations.

Both had a good chilled maldivian vibe - I might give Reethi the edge here as there is a choice of bars and eateries. There is low key night entertainment - dive show video, spa night, bodu beru - you don't have to join in if you don't want to as there is a very chilled bar near the WVs. Vakaru didn't have a loud vibrant scene either.

Reethi will give you some credit if you are on FB basis and want to eat somewhere other then the buffet restaurant - think it was 15% - its on their website under A-Z and meal plans. Sorry any info I had about Vakaru on this point would not be up to date - you could email them though.

I know lyn has been to Komandoo and is booked to return, she's also been to Vakaru so can give you a comparison there. And I think Ian has been to Reethi and Komandoo so I'm sure he will be along too - if not try pm'ing them. I understand the reef at Komandoo is very good and the only slight downside is the closer proximity of a local island but it doesn't seem to bother most.

I take it you've looked at Athuruga, Thudufushi and Angaga as they too fit your requirements although maybe not your budget in all cases..

Cumbria, United...
Level Contributor
3,446 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which resort Vakarufalhi, Reethi or Komandoo

Ian beat me to it!

middx
Level Contributor
318 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which resort Vakarufalhi, Reethi or Komandoo

Only been to Reethi, had great holiday, but our water villa a bit scruffy, plaster chipped away paint flaking off wall, little things didn't spoil our holiday but not ideal. Snorkeling not great for us, we sadly didn't find the fish that plentiful.

As I say despite this we had a wonderful time and may well go back but we would stay in a deluxe beach villa as the one we looked at seemed much more well maintained. For your honeymoon I would go for one of the other two, as I would also want a quieter island for my honeymoon, as well as the above considerations.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,269 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which resort Vakarufalhi, Reethi or Komandoo

Have also been to Reethi , we were given free upgrade to watervilla, and would agree with sandj1, certainlly would not pay for them beach villas looked nicer. Very nice Island though

Dont discount "bigger" Islands as these have a larger beach front and, certainly Kuramathi and Kuredu seemed far less populated because of that always masses of private beach area, Kuramathi is a very pretty Island with lots of dining options and a reef

Lincolnshire...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
7,665 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which resort Vakarufalhi, Reethi or Komandoo

Here I am....on here early 'cos had to come home early with flu-type bug :-(

As Heather says, I've not been to Reethi....but have been to the others (Vakaru pre refurb also).

I would go for kom - but I would swap the BV for JBV (4 days shouldn't add much on if available). You can then request to be on the side away from the local island. Almost all of the JBV's are on this side (see my thread from dec, currently on komandoo). Local island not a real problem but the views are better on the other side. Also look at requesting a jwv on the LHS as you go the jwv jetty as the further you come round to the right the nearer you get to the local island view. Check out an island map.

Rooms are all beach front, not tucked far into the bushes.

Saw turtles and sharks.

Hopefully my thread and review give you info on why this adults only island would be lovely for honeymoon.

Lincolnshire...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
7,665 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which resort Vakarufalhi, Reethi or Komandoo

Vakaru - as I said was also pre refurb. I'm a bit wary of it now since it was italian only when it re-opened and, although it now takes Brits again, I can't shake off the idea of it being a lively Italian island with animators etc etc. someone who has been more recently can advise.....

Wales, UK
Level Contributor
273 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which resort Vakarufalhi, Reethi or Komandoo

Thanks for the tips

I think its between Vakaru and Komandoo but I am liking the look of Vakaru over Komandoo at the moment beacuse of the following reasons;

1. In the pics on here the rooms do look a lot nicer at Vakaru which im guessing are after the refurb?

2. Vakaru has a higher trip advisor rating and less negative reviews? I know Komandoo has more reviews but if you took the vakaru reviews and multiplied each by 1.795 it gives a like for like comparison of 463 reviews and Vakaru still has alot less terrible, poor and average reviews if that makes sense!

3. Drinks seem to be reasonable at Vakaru and you get a free drink with your meal which will help..

If I took Lynphd's advice and went for a JBV at Komandoo the price would be pretty much identical between the two for FB but Komandoo have flat refused to give me menu prices via email which doesn't help! :(

The recent reviews at Vakaru seem to be from people in the UK and positive so hopefully its not all lively Italian Island! Hopefully someone who has been there recently could comment on that?

Lynphd, which would you say had the better house reef?

Thanks alot for all the help so far

Lincolnshire...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
7,665 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which resort Vakarufalhi, Reethi or Komandoo

Kom was closed for a mini refurb last year and the GM has changed, introducing some new touches, so you really need to look at reviews since the refurb.

I've been watching it move back up the TA rankings ....for what they may be worth!

Edited: 13 February 2013, 14:12
Lincolnshire...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
7,665 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which resort Vakarufalhi, Reethi or Komandoo

For Vakaru...switch to "Italian first" (rather than English first) to see the recent Italian reviewers.