We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Local Islands/Guesthouses - Trend?

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
285 reviews
Save Topic
Local Islands/Guesthouses - Trend?

Not sure about you but ive definitely noticed an increasing trend of people considering local islands in the last 6 months with 2013 prices being published.

More and more people are asking about such places to be able to afford the Maldives. They seem to be be becoming very popular and would explain increasing day trippers to islands such as Biyadhoo so people can do some sunbathing and head to the bar.

Sitting on the fence you could argue that its one way of people being able to afford the Maldives (and probably bring some much needed dollars to local communities instead of going into the coffers of the large corporations) but then its could be tarnishing the reputations of resort islands by allowing large amount of day trippers on to places where actually, the infrastructure will not support such visits. I mean when Biyadhoo (or any similar small/medium island) is fully booked, its fully booked in terms of rooms and the island's ability to support those guests. Then allowing on an unspecified amount of additional people is bound to overload the system.

Thoughts??

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
802 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Local Islands/Guesthouses - Trend?

I see the point about making it more affordable and benefitting the local communities, but as you rightly say, the smaller islands just cannot cope. I have no idea how much these guest houses charge for accommodation, but after you factor in travel costs, accomm., $11 a day transfer plus all your food and drink, is it actually much cheaper than to book an island in the first place?

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
32,086 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Local Islands/Guesthouses - Trend?

I think it is a reflection of the resorts building more and more, with underwater resturants, overwater luxury.

There are many people who want to go for simplicity, peace and to see the amazing underwater world. Not fussed about massive buffets, every convenience in a room.

If the local islands could provide simple comfort, good food, reliable transfers and excellent snorkeling - there is a large market for it out there. such a scenario I would certainly consider.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,179 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Local Islands/Guesthouses - Trend?

It's a good deal for people, you can stay at a local island and pop over to a resort for the day, best of both worlds for limited cost.

It's a good deal for the islands as well. Say 30 visitors a day, 10 usd a head, that's three hundred bucks for nothing, or over 8 k per month, nearly 100 k per year. Take an average spend of say 20 usd per head on food and drink when there per day ( some more, some less) then you are looking at a small island brining in close to 300 k per year for nothing other than the cost of the food or drink, it's basically pure profit. Particularly on an all inclusive island.

Yes they could lose business, but if they keep their overall pricing low enough and are always at capacity, the odds of them losing out enough to offset it are limited.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,488 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Local Islands/Guesthouses - Trend?

Its a relatively new concept, and may get more popular, if it does, you can guarantee the resort Islands will start to charge a good deal more the $10-11 per day,

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
802 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Local Islands/Guesthouses - Trend?

I can see your reasoning, but will the island (using Biyadhoo as the example) really remain anywhere near capacity? A high proportion of it's guests are repeaters several times over and I'm sure that most will stop going if it has too many day trippers.

Add to that the basic nature of the island and the more frequent bad reviews (probably citing too many non-guests as a reason), will it attract much in the way of new business, or could it just end up with an endless stream of 30 odd daily visitors and relatively few miserable guests?

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,179 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Local Islands/Guesthouses - Trend?

Maybe they are maxing it out till they close for refurb,..but ultimately it will have to stop...hopefully soon for anyone going...

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,488 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Local Islands/Guesthouses - Trend?

I would think any resort Island with a close local Island will keep going until they reach the most profitable balance for both,

The most day trippers. and the most resident holidaymakers they can get before complaints re. reef damage and refuse start to tip the booking numbers. That point may be approaching with Biyadhoo, it certainly was fine when we were there.

Until then the powers that be in the Maldives will carry one doing anything for the $$$s, with not too much thought for their environment.

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
802 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Local Islands/Guesthouses - Trend?

If it was at all possible that it could occur on Mirihi, I can picture spammie flying out there with a roll of barbed wire to wrap around the entire island! lol.

Mentioned in this post
Mirihi Island Resort
Mirihi Island Resort
1,066 Reviews
Mirihi
Liverpool
Level Contributor
5,300 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Local Islands/Guesthouses - Trend?

I think it is wrong for people who book guest houses to then be able to traipse off and invade the nearest resort island to use their facilities, bar etc.

If you book a guest house, you know (or should do) that the island will be alcohol free, and have few facilities. that is why it is cheap. Why then should anyone be allowed to go to a resort to use the facilities others have paid thousands for?

Ian

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,488 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Local Islands/Guesthouses - Trend?

because, if you could'nt go to a resort Islands for your western seminude alcoholic jollies during the day, , you would'nt book a local Island in the first place, or at least not many people would.