We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkelling............

KENT
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Snorkelling............

My wife and I were looking at going to the Maldives last week for 2 weeks but when we went to book something at the beginning of January there was nothing appropriate and nothing to suit our budget. (My fault as the wife did say last April to book it).

Anyway we ended up going to Egypt for 1 week and booking Chaaya Island for 2 weeks in November (for the same price as going last week)

Anyway I have now got the snorkeling bug big time and really just wanted to know if anyone has experienced the reefs around this island and if so are they any good.

I know it a bit late now that its booked but I'm just curious and looking forward to the trip.

Tony G

Kent, England
Level Contributor
4,469 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkelling............

Are you going to Dhonveli?

If so, I am sorry but my understanding is that it due to its location one side is only suitable for surfing and the other side has a fairly dead reef area.....but you might be able to change?

KENT
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkelling............

Hi Jody,

Yes it is Dhonveli.

The island resort itself seem to have good reviews and as a deposit has been paid I was wondering if we would incur some hefty charges if we were to change.

I will speak to the travel agent and see what they say.

Maybe this just might be a stepping stone to future trips to the Maldives as its our first visit, and if we were to return it can only get better.

That Red Sea has a lot to answer for, as it was just a relaxing holiday we were initially going fof but now there is snorkeling. :(

Tony G

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,955 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkelling............

Speaking from experience, the snorkelling on the islands without reefs is disappointing after the Red Sea. Vilamendhoo is the best value island for great snorkelling.

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,023 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snorkelling............

you really do not want to book dhonveli .. you can do much much better for the same money. there is no snorkeling at dhonveli , except by excursion and then its not much. if your agent recommended this island for snorkeling , you have been ill served

suffolk
Level Contributor
3,630 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snorkelling............

Tony G.....talk to your agent and see if they will switch you to Chaaya Reef Ellaidhoo. The snorkelling there is better than Egypt.

Assuming you have booked with one of the big TO's, there will likely be an admin charge to change....this shouldn't amount to much.

John

portsmouth
Level Contributor
28 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Snorkelling............

Sorry spammie, what do you mean there is no snorkelling at Dhonveli ? We went there last year and we thought the snorkelling was really good bearing in mind this was our third visit to the Maldives, all at different resorts. The resort I wouldn't recommend if you enjoy snorkelling is their sister resort the Chaaya Hakuraa Lagoon.

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,023 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Snorkelling............

portsmouth .. correct me if i am wrong but it looks you have stayed at meeru and chaaya lagoon? if that is the case , you have yet to stay at an island that has snorkeling from the beach. .. or lets call it any snorkeling worthwhile.

believe me .. once you go to an island with a good housereef , you will know what i mean.

portsmouth
Level Contributor
28 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Snorkelling............

Spammie, we have stayed at the two resorts you mentioned plus Dhonveli. Unless I am misunderstanding something about what constitutes being able to snorkel from the beach both Meeru and Dhonveli are very good in that respect. I can't help noticing that you haven't posted any reviews of the Maldives but obviously you must have been there so I would be interested to know of any islands you would recommend that have better snorkelling as we are thinking of going again next year.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Snorkelling............

lol. popcorn anyone?

Mirihi, athuruga, thudufushi, vilamendhoo, angaga, byadhoo, fihaholhi,,,

pick your budget class, and shes going to name a better resort for snorkelling:-)

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
287 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Snorkelling............

none of those resorts have snorkelling from the beach. Oh yes you can get into the water from the beach and swim away, breathing in and out through your snorkel over an expanse of a sandy lagoon. But that isnt snorkelling from the beach. Snorkelling from the beach is swimming/finning from the beach to a very nearby coral reef, less than 50m away where there are thousands and gozillions of fish, turtles/sharks etc, preferably with a large drop off. Those islands have no reef and hence no snorkelling from the beach other than the odd few passing fish. Islands such as those have organised boat trips to take you to a nearby reef which is a pain in the bottom region.