We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camera model, and photos?

SG
Level Contributor
198 posts
Save Topic
Camera model, and photos?

Hope this q is ok. Can I ask for the underwater photo-taking enthusiasts to just post their camera model (and brand), and price if they remember it, and any links to the photos theyve taken if they want to share? And of course if you have any thoughts/tips too.

Having been to Maldives 4 times (and definitely knowing that I'm going to go a lot more times) I'm wondering whether to get dedicated underwater camera for this round. It's a specific investment - I'm not sure if I can justify it. That casing thing is not for me, and those point and snap underwater things don't work.

UK
Level Contributor
624 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Camera model, and photos?

There are really some spectacular images on here. I am not a professional and couldn't justify paying hundreds for a camera and housing so bought a proper camera housing on ebay for my older cannon ixus 7mp - allows me to take pictures whilst snorkelling and diving to 40m. It is fab and the pictures are really good.

My tip would be to get a housing and camera with a big screen as it is dificult to see moving fish in a small window whilst wearing a mask.

I have to admit that I never come back from the Maldives with less than 500 pictures - but its so enjoyable and truly enhances our holiday.

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Maldives
Level Contributor
11,599 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Camera model, and photos?

Canon 7D with a Nimar underwater housing for it.

and the Canon D10 underwater camera.

pictures here:

flickr.com/photos/…

videos here

http://vimeo.com/album/1566873

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
4,322 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Camera model, and photos?

Having lost (OH dropped it while snorkelling over reef edge) brand new water proof camera last summer and having recently investigated what new camera to buy I've concluded that there is no perfect waterproof compact that also has a decent zoom and inbuilt wifi - so I just bought a non waterproof one for a forthcoming China holiday. When it comes to next Maldives holiday I would also have gone for the Olympus Tough latest model but hope that by the time I need it there will be wifi built in to stop fiddly transfer of images.

Like all technology these days, expect to upgrade in 2-3 years.

SG
Level Contributor
198 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Camera model, and photos?

Sky5, the pictures on your site warrenssite are stunning. Simply amazing. I looked at the specs for this camera Powershot G1X. I think this is probably beyond me (beyond what I want to spend, and also more camera than I know what to do with..)

A few questions:

- is this the camera you use as your underwater camera, or is it the camera you use for all photography?

- how close did you have to be to the fish to get such beautiful shots?

- exactly how skilled do you have to be to get these excellent photos -> I think you are a professional photographer? I'm talking about basic things like shaky hands, and, er.. other photo-taking factors (i know very little).

Thanks for sharing your wonderful photos. They are absolutely beautiful.

Biggin Hill
Level Contributor
604 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Camera model, and photos?

For us it has to be canon, I use the G12 and OH has S100, the new version of this - the S110 has built in wifi.

Kent, England
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Camera model, and photos?

Jane,

Taking GOOD u/w photos can be very hard work, having a good camera helps but you have to know how to use it and how to use semi manual or full manual settings. If that already sounds like a lot of work then stick to something waterproof like a Canon D20/Panasonic FT4 etc.

I have an S95 plus housing which I use for diving and snorkeling and a Panasonic Ft2 for both (I have a case) but mostly snorkeling and I am considering getting another waterproof camera as my OH is now an avid snorkeler and have been debating between the Canon D20 and Panasonic FT4, I have read pretty much every review I could find comparing them and came across a damming statement from one of my favouite review sites on the Canon D20 so my weapon of choice will be an FT4, if I can force myself to buy it!

Surrey, UK
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: Camera model, and photos?

Fantastic thread- was looking at underwater cameras myself!! I was looking at some of the super- zoom cameras (18x optical zoom) as I only snorkel and was worried I wouldn't get any good 'close up ' shots- anyone have any thoughts on this?, is a standard zoom of 4-5 x sufficient?

Thanks!

Kent, England
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Camera model, and photos?

Ive never seen a waterproof camera with super zoom like that and ive never seen a camera case big enough either, it would have to be a massive case to allow for the extension and would be ridiculously heavy.

The key is getting as close as possible without spooking your subject!

Surrey, UK
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
19. Re: Camera model, and photos?

Fuji f660 with underwater housing (very compact) has 18x optical zoom and very reasonably priced at around £300 for the whole lot...

Whilst a confident snorkeller I don't like to get too close for fear of spooking the fish :-)

Kent, England
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Camera model, and photos?

I'll be honest.....I find Fuji so un user-friendly, my first uw cam was an F100fd and it was a nightmare.

I think the whole case, o ring and seal issue is a lot of hassle if you are only planning on snorkeling. All of the camera mentioned in this thread as stand alone waterproof models will give great pictures if you spend a bit of time leaning to use all of the functions.