We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

narrowed it down to 3 choices

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
326 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
narrowed it down to 3 choices

we are travelling the end of March for the first time with our 10month old daughter. We have it narrowed down to 3 hotels: Kurumba, Kandooma and Sheraton Full moon. We are only staying for 5-6 nights so we do not want to spend a lot of time on a speed boat to get there. we are both avid divers/snorkelers but we are not sure how much we will do since we will have our baby with us.

What are the pros and cons of these 3 hotels? For the seasoned Maldives travellers which one would you choose and why?

Thanks!

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,922 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: narrowed it down to 3 choices

kandooma and sheraton have no reefs .. so snorkeling only by excursion - which might be a real pain in the backside with the baby .

kurumba has a decent reef .. not great but it will give you snorkeling from the beach.

which one would i choose ? that is a "neither" within this selection of 3 but kurumba is a good hotel and very close to male incase you needed healthcare for the little one

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,179 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: narrowed it down to 3 choices

Kurumba gets some very good reviews, and recently another poster took her 4 month old child there, and had a very good time.

Just remember that you all need to wear mosquito repellant due to dengue fever in the Maldives, protecting your baby is very important, and that is from the moment you get off your international flight, as the risk is higher at the airport, to the moment you get back on it.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
326 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: narrowed it down to 3 choices

if you wouldnt choose any of these are there others to consider that are not too far away from Male?

also, what is the best site to book accommodation? directly on their web site or agoda, booking.com and such?

thank you for your advice

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,179 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: narrowed it down to 3 choices

Faith, spammie is not dissing the islands, it's simply she has different criteria to you, she goes for two or three weeks, and she prefers south ari atoll, as it best for divers, and adult orientated resorts.

You are going for a short period with a baby, she would not pick the same resorts as you would, as you are not asking for the best dive locations, the best reef or small adult orientated resorts.

I would try Richard at purely Maldives, they deal with a lot of international customers and are well respected on this forum for good prices and service. Normally they can beat the rack rate of the hotel, or online booking agencies. They can also recommend hotels close to male that would suit your needs.

http://www.purelymaldives.co.uk/

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
630 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: narrowed it down to 3 choices

Richard at Purely Maldives has sorted 2 holidays for us now and is very good,we also found the prices considerably cheaper than Kuoni and Cosmos.

Resort wise I only really looked into 1 of your 3 choices so can't coment on the others but we liked the look of Kurumba,food is supposed to be very good and they were also the most helpful resort to deal with regards emailing them with questions,they always got back to me unlike some others I could mention!

Biggin Hill
Level Contributor
656 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: narrowed it down to 3 choices

Kurumba is reportedly good for families (although I have not been personally) Bandos is also very good for families and has an excellent kids club, which would free you up for an hour or two of snorkelling. Also has a medical centre on the island.

Mentioned in this post
Bandos
Bandos
North Male Atoll
London, United...
Level Contributor
27,179 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: narrowed it down to 3 choices

I think at 10 months old, the child is too young for the kids club at bandos, but possibly baby sitting will be available, as it may be at kurumba.

8. Re: narrowed it down to 3 choices

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 March 2014, 06:17