We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

would you bring your 11 month old?

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
294 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
would you bring your 11 month old?

After reading up on dengue fever I am worried about bringing our 11 month old with us. we don't plan to do any excursions or spend time in Male except for arriving and departing.

have you taken your baby with you? would you if you havent?

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: would you bring your 11 month old?

Oh dear. This is one of the most contentious issues out there. Prepare for open warfare.

As long as you ensure your child has plenty of mosquito protection, it will be fine, 69 countries globally have dengue, and the Maldives has one of the lowest incident rates of them all. It's important to note Bahrain has dengue.

Would I take a 11 month old. No, I would not. It's too far, it's too hot, and it's too far away from health care facilities, I can't see the benefit for the baby. Over the age of two or three it's different. However you are coming from a hot country, one with dengue and it's a shorter journey, so different circumstances. It takes us best part of a day, you have a four hour flight.

So no, I would not, however if I lived in Bahrain, I might.

suffolk
Level Contributor
3,631 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: would you bring your 11 month old?

There has been many threads, discussions and arguments about taking small children to the Maldives.Many people say they wouldn't, many say why not.

I'm guessing if you want a yes/no answer, the no's would probably win, particularly when talking about babies.

Leaving aside the arguments about the peace and quiet of the Maldives in general, you need to think about medical care if baby gets ill and how long would it take to get to a hospital.

Paranoid? Maybe. Realistic? Definitely possible.

John

Liverpool
Level Contributor
5,300 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: would you bring your 11 month old?

Don't be surprised if this thread becomes a little heated faith_w, they usually do...

Have I? No, as my children are grown up. Would I be happy to take one of my young grandchildren of that age? No.

That's my personal opinion, but all you can do is research the risks, and understand the type and availability of medical facilities should any be necessary.

Balance it against the likelihood of something going wrong (probably very slim) and that you will most likely have a wonderful family holiday together.

If you decide to go, just make sure you take all possible precautions to ensure your child doesn't get bitten - especially as you say around the airport etc.

Good luck with your decision.

Ian

Level Contributor
1,608 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: would you bring your 11 month old?

No, I don't think I would if I had the availability of good childcare at home, for example a grandma. I don't think the baby would gain much from the trip and it may be a little stressful for myself. I have four children and our trips while they were young were limited to Europe, four hours on a plane with 4 children under 6 was not fun. Now they are old enough to benefit from good holidays I take them to the Maldives.

That said, I never left them home while babies so I could go on holiday either (although over the last 3 years I have happily jetted off leaving them with their dad).

You have to just decide what you think is best for you and your baby, it's different for everyone.

Biggin Hill
Level Contributor
585 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: would you bring your 11 month old?

Would I? Yes I would and yes I did, he is now a horrible 17 year old content to stay at home ( although he has said he wants to come with us next time). We chose an island that had good facilities for children and a Dr on the island - not that we had to use the Dr but did book a babysitter a couple of nights. If you keep them covered, in the shade and make sure they stay well hydrated they will be fine. Insect repellent is a must.

Go and enjoy.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
2,212 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: would you bring your 11 month old?

I would - maybe

You are going to be taken really good care of - The people working at the resorts miss their own children so much that they love it when small children are visiting. About the healthcare - most of the better resorts have doctors on the island.

That said - The Maldives are so expensive that I think I would choose a more inexpensive vacation spot until they are old enough to appreciate it - Like Froggy said I would wait 3-4 years. But do I think the Maldives as a good destination for kids - absolutely

We are going without the kids (age 6 and 11) in April for our first beach vacation without kids - and they are furious - I think they are scheming to put us both away in a home when we get old ;)

They have been to the Maldives last summer and therefore know what they are missing out on.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
294 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: would you bring your 11 month old?

we are expats living in Bahrain and it is super cheap for us to fly to the Maldives from here that is why we choose to go there. this will be my 53rd country but my first trip with my baby, except if you count when we picked her up from the Marshall Islands (shes adopted- and they have dengue there -which i had no clue until I started researching about it in the Maldives), on our way back we stopped in Hawaii and south korea with her, she was 5 months then.

we dont plan to leave her with a sitter at all, we just want to relax on a beach with her, maybe one of us snorkel at a time and take advantage of how cheap it is to visit the Maldives from the middle east. Our other choice is Sri Lanka but I feel for $1000 more we can visit the Maldives which has nicer beaches. We are huge backpackers and felt a Maldives resort vacation would be a great introduction to travelling for her and for us with a baby.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: would you bring your 11 month old?

As said, if I was coming from Bahrain, my decision might be somewhat different, and I think kurumba, although I have not been, sounds like a great resort for those with kids. Others have been with young children and that's their feedback.

I think if you were asking other people in Bahrain, the feedback may be slightly different, from that which you would get from people from say Western Europe or the us. Simply because its a whole different set of circumstances. We are not used to the climate, we don't really encounter dengue and the travel is a very long way.

I would say the hospital facilities in male are supposed to be very good, but of course if you take the necessary precautions, then you should simply have a wonderful family holiday.

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,039 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: would you bring your 11 month old?

the chances that the baby will be just fine and everyone will have a great time are pobably 99% . on the other hand , if the horrible 1% takes place .. you can't bring your baby back . it happened to my friend maria whose son sam died in the hospital in male from dengue. am i paranoid? maybe. its just too close to home when you have to attend a funeral with a tiny coffin.

so for me its no. not under about 2 years.

my apologies in advance to those posters who regularly accuse me of scaring people with the truth. as a medical professional , as a mother and a friend to maria and her husband , this is my opinion - nothing more and nothing less.

Hampshire
Level Contributor
2,352 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: would you bring your 11 month old?

Hello Faith

I think this is a good question despite the idea it may entice controversial debate - and as seen already you have received some interersting balanced replies from the concerned and informed individuals above.

I weighed the risks and travelled with our 10 month old in May 2012. We stayed on Hilton Irufushi and then the 2 Four Seasons islands.

The cost for your 11 month old will be negligible and will therefore not be a deciding factor - he/she will not pay for a seat on the plane, will not be charged for meals, bed or transfers - the only cost in Maldives will be $8 per night bed tax.

I agree your baby will not remember the holiday - and this was exactly the reason we did not take ours to Disneyland etc because he needs to remember the fun time we will have there. We chose Maldives because I received a great offer - and because I knew we would have a good time as a whole family. In Maldives our son was doted on by the Maldivian staff (and Chinese visitors who adored the little blond haired boy).

My recommendation is to choose an island which has experience of young ones and babysitters - and most definitely you will require a pool with some shady spots.

Best wishes

Richard from PurelyMaldives