We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Athuruga or Mihiri?

West Sussex
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
Athuruga or Mihiri?

We are after a good snorkelling reef accessible from the shore or ideally from the water bungalow, a good water bungalow, a good beach and good food.....

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,955 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Athuruga or Mihiri?

Having researched both, I'd choose Mirihi over Athuruga - better food with more dining options and the best house reef in the south Ari.

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,113 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Athuruga or Mihiri?

i have been to both multiple times and love both... but the crown goes to mirihi anyday

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Athuruga or Mihiri?

Not been to either,but would pick athuruga, Better standard of accommodation, and more cost friendly.

Karlsruhe, Germany
Level Contributor
1,477 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Athuruga or Mihiri?

I've been to both and I would return to both. However, Mirihi definitely wins, without doubt. Although we were equally happy with the reef at both islands, the food and general atmosphere at Mirihi were far better. But - the water villa at Athuruga was amazing. Still, Mirihi wins :)

Surrey
Level Contributor
370 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Athuruga or Mihiri?

HI

Agree with cakeskin - been to both and would return to both. Have second visit to Mirihi this year, but want to return to Athuruga next year.

We had a BV at Athuruga, but water villa did look amazing. The AI at Athuruga is unrivalled (with wine selection, laundry service etc) and snorkelling was excellent. Didnt like the beach area we had so much at Athuruga.

Mirihi - our favourite out of about 8 top islands. First time we have had a WV and loved it. Reef was easy to access and was FANTASTIC - big shoals and several 4ft sharks all around us. Beach was perfect and food slightly above the already high standard of Athuruga. Mirihi felt more pivate as lots of divers who were out all day. We had quite a bill at end of hols for drinks etc - but cant wait to go back!

Mal

Edited: 04 March 2013, 17:44
London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Athuruga or Mihiri?

It must be an atmosphere thng, like biyadhoo, for those of us who have not been, you look at the pics and it's not conveyed,,,

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Athuruga or Mihiri?

Love to go to the fabled Mirihi but cost of drinks prohibit it ..... Sorry ... Have done athuruga....Now looking elsewhere

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,955 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Athuruga or Mihiri?

You would like Vilamendhoo. Like a posher Biyadhoo...shoals of fish as soon as you enter the sea and a massive reef to explore, plus a great AI package.

West Sussex
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Athuruga or Mihiri?

Thanks all, can you snorkel from your water bungalow at Mirihi? Or any of the others? We aren't divers and want o snorkel ideally directly fom the waterbungalow? Also the bungalows are semi detached and don't look that private? is this the case? those at Athuruga are detached I think?

Thanks for your help....

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
373 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Athuruga or Mihiri?

I researched both islands extensively, and Mirihi won for the superior reef and more upscale atmosphere. You can definitely snorkel from the water villas, except from those on the north side of the island at low tide. During low tide, the coral tops will be exposed and make it near impossible to access from the water villa decks.

Regarding the privacy, I have read a number of reviews mentioning this. A frequent poster here mentioned that you can definitely hear the couple in the next bungalow over since they are not detached. Sometimes, this can be quite noisy especially if they are playing any kind of music.

Regarding the privacy on the decks, here is what a recent reviewer had to say:

""I found that only a few villas had sun decks visible to those entering or leaving other villas. Even then they would have to be very nosey to see anything unless you are sun bathing right at the very edge of the sun deck"

Another reviewer was a bit more critical:

""Our "private deck" was very not private! Our loungers were visable from the next door entrance, two other cottages (at distance), three boardwalks (at varying distance) and the beach - this place costs a lot of money so I think more of an effort should be made here."