We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Meedhupparu or Villamendhoo ?

Bristol, England...
Level Contributor
6 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Meedhupparu or Villamendhoo ?

I'm looking at booking 2 weeks in the maldives next march.

Budget is max of £5500 for 2 adults 2 weeks a.i.

I'm looking at £4774 for meedhupparu in but looks like chances are it will be a sea wall room, unless it's knocked down by march 2014?

Or £5312 Villamendhoo in a beach villa (not jacuzzi).

Meed seems to get bad reviews purely on the wall rooms whilst Villa seems to get bad reviews because of overbooking and lack of beach as it's quite narrow, however it is ranked much higher than meed on overall votes.

Both resorts we'd be eating in the busy buffet although villa has more a la carte options and better diving, whilst meed seems to be more isolated and has more beach.

Do i go with the cheaper option and risk the wall being there next year or spend more and risk overbooking, although would that effect us as we wouldn't be in a water villa or jacuzi beach villa?

Let me know your thoughts. Ian

Swindon, United...
Level Contributor
3,521 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Meedhupparu or Villamendhoo ?

There was a recent thread which mentioned that the sea wall is going to be replaced with something less visually intrusive:

tripadvisor.com/…45545807

Bristol, England...
Level Contributor
6 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Meedhupparu or Villamendhoo ?

The 2nd person was saying the wall would be gone by the time he went (feb 2013) however it's still there now.

I wonder if the wall is going to be removed or the resort just says the right things so bookings don't drop?

I've also seen different replies from the resort some saying it's 1st choice fault for not informing guests others saying it makes no difference what company you book with they allocate on arrival.

Lastly look on the meed. website and there's no mention of upgrades or sea wall villas just sea villas adaaran.com/selectmeedhupparu/accommodation.…

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
13,919 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Meedhupparu or Villamendhoo ?

you literally couldn't pay me to go back to meedhupparu. the seawall is by no means the only issue there - in my humble opinion .

vila is a good allrounder .

why not look at other alternatives . there are so many good budget islands.

maayafushi , dhiggiri , fihalhohi, makunudu, madoogali - just to name a few. even angaga could possibly still slip into your budget

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,955 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Meedhupparu or Villamendhoo ?

Vila for the huge reef! The north beach isn't narrow and overbooking applies mainly to thr jbvs and jwvs.

Edited: 04 March 2013, 16:58
Bristol, England...
Level Contributor
6 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Meedhupparu or Villamendhoo ?

Thanks for the replies, def. food for thought.

spammie- what else put you off other than the wall, it seems like the beach area is quite big?

at my price range seems were going to have to have large buffet canteen style places.

Bristol, England...
Level Contributor
6 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Meedhupparu or Villamendhoo ?

Meeru island just scrapes into budget but garden view only.

norfolk
Level Contributor
2,523 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Meedhupparu or Villamendhoo ?

Have you priced Reethi Beach? We are going this Easter and it came in AI at £4,900 4 2 weeks.

As not been yet can't give an opinon, but then the reviews seem to speak for themself!

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Meedhupparu or Villamendhoo ?

I'd be reticent to risk that sea wall, think they have been removing it for two years, and no one can really see any progress..

Haven't been to Vila, have been to meed, and yes the beach is wide and pretty. However of the two, I would pick Vila.

The sea villa terminology is very confusing at meed. They always blame the travel agent, but they, at most, allude to sea villas or standard sea villas ( or beach bungalows) something weird like that, and people never know till they turn up,,unless they have it spelled out by the agent.

The canteen at meed ( or dining room) is not very nice. A bit school dinners, with tables very close together. However the bars are nice, the reef is fairly decent, and the beach is wide and pretty outwith the sea wall area.

As its possibly quite a busy time you are going, go to Vila, as the issue at meed, is everyone in the sea wall side, comes over to the nice beach side and it gets busy, with bun fights over sun beds. if you were going off peak, ie July time, I would probably recommend it. But not during what could be a very busy period.

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,955 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Meedhupparu or Villamendhoo ?

If you want an island with a good house reef, Meed is not for you.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Meedhupparu or Villamendhoo ?

And yes, reethi looks to be another good idea,,well recommended on here...