We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sri Lankan gifts for staff at Biyadhoo...

Sheffield
Level Contributor
281 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Sri Lankan gifts for staff at Biyadhoo...

Less than 8 weeks until Biyadhoo now!

We will be in Sri Lanka for a week before we head to the Maldives. I was wondering whether there is anything I could bring back from Sri Lanka for the staff? Any ideas?

I know they don't get to go home for months sometimes, so I thought a little gift might be nice? Is there anything anyone had heard them mention before?

I'm thinking something equivalent to us liking a good tea bag!

Sarah

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sri Lankan gifts for staff at Biyadhoo...

Honestly,just give them money, tip well, they much prefer it.

Everything else smacks of taking baubles to the natives, sorry,

Hampshire, UK
Level Contributor
942 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sri Lankan gifts for staff at Biyadhoo...

I agree, $ for tips will be welcomed.

Sheffield
Level Contributor
281 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sri Lankan gifts for staff at Biyadhoo...

Of course we'll tip too.

Just wondered if I could pick anything up that they miss whilst working away.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sri Lankan gifts for staff at Biyadhoo...

Unless you know the member of staff individually and personally, then really, just like hotel or restaurant staff in Sheffield, taking them gifts is really not necessary. They are like just like hotel staff in the uk, or any where else in the world,and should be treated in the same proffesjonal and individual manner.

You only know what someone wishes if you know them personally. Anything else smacks of charity. They don't need or want you to bring them gifts, sure they are too polite to act anything but grateful and delighted, but really, just tip, as its part of the culture and makes up their salaries, as it does in many countries, ie the us, but they are not charity cases. Neither are they all from Sri Lanka.

Surrey, UK
Level Contributor
172 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sri Lankan gifts for staff at Biyadhoo...

Froggy, I'm sorry but I do think your reply is a maybe a tad on the "strong" side. I don’t think that you can infer from Sarah's question that she views the staff as “charity cases” or that she is not going to treat them in a “professional manner”

What she says is “I'm thinking something equivalent to us liking a good tea bag!” She is merely asking is there anything they might like, and miss, from home that they can’t get on the island. I do however agree that this should be a personalised gesture, not a generalised one.

Sarah - my thoughts would be that staff going home for a visit would bring things back for each other if necessary so they probably want for very little, to be honest (apart from seeing more of their families). Agree that tipping generously is probably the best way to go.

I think our holiday overlaps with yours by a couple of days, maybe, so perhaps see you there!

Edited: 06 March 2013, 17:44
London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sri Lankan gifts for staff at Biyadhoo...

Ok, let me explain then.

I am still not quite sure who " they" is in this little scenario, I'm not big into generalisation of people, personally, particularly when it comes to total strangers who may be perceived as being less affluent, from a less affluent country, it can easily smack of something distasteful.

However, i will take your more palatable thoughts.

So I would stress, as the staff tend not to be all from Sri Lanka, and those that are, don't all go home en masse at the same time, as such, if they wanted something they could not purchase in the Maldives, I am sure one of their colleagues would bring it back for them, depending on who was travelling when. Just as our colleagues would do for us.

Ps, i can say with all honesty, as a Brit living abroad, I do not wish total strangers i meet either through my work, or any other way, to bring us all tea bags:))

Westhoughton...
Level Contributor
78 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sri Lankan gifts for staff at Biyadhoo...

Dear Saraaah - your wish to spread a little happiness is shared by us and many other Biyadhoo tourists. In fact not only will we be taking some 'extras' for the staff we know, but will pack some small goodies that we can share with all. We will also be taking a few 'silly' gifts for some of our friends who are visiting at the same time & they would not consider it charity.

Whilst money does top up salary, little things (like tea bags, British sweeties/chocs or even sun lotion? etc) just add a little something for staff who get little chance to get away - I wouldn't give chocs to hotel staff in the UK as they could quite easily pop into a shop ON THE WAY HOME!

So turn up with some goodies and spread a little holiday happiness.

London
Level Contributor
1,919 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sri Lankan gifts for staff at Biyadhoo...

When we were repeaters on another island we took "non-genuine" cricket shirts. The guys that got them loved them and five years later at least a couple of the shirts are still going. Foreign staff at Biyadhoo are mainly Indian and Sri Lankan, a lot of the boat crews were from Bangladesh and I think that were also a few guys from Nepal.

Newcastle,England
Level Contributor
226 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sri Lankan gifts for staff at Biyadhoo...

We love to give little gifts to staff and tip as we go rather than at the end of the holiday so they know the little gifts are not in place of tips. Even unused toiletries are much appreciated by the staff who need to send much of their wages and tips home, so Sarah you do what you want not what others deem to be right..

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
815 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sri Lankan gifts for staff at Biyadhoo...

That was a great idea Gengy. The staff at Biyadhoo have cricket and football matches with neighbouring islands and in fact guest. I am sure something like that would be most appreciated.

I also feel that whatever you decide to take Saraaah it will be seen as an act of kindness and not charity.