We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Robinson Club vs Komandoo

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
96 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Robinson Club vs Komandoo

Looking at these two islands for our next trip. Just returned from Athuruga, which we enjoyed very much. Main priorities are good snorkelling, preferably close to the beach. Guided snorkelling would be good as my partner is a bit nervous if not in a group. Excellent and varied food would be great. Don't mind B & B or AI as neither of us drink alcohol. Don't mind the extra flight to Robinson if it fits the bill for us.

Anybody done both of these or have any comments from recent experiences of either? I was all set on Robinson, but then have been reading some great reviews for Komandoo and a poor one for Robinson! Will be travelling next Jan/Feb

Many thanks

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
13,918 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Robinson Club vs Komandoo

i have not been to RC but i would nit go back to komandoo . the snorkeling is not great .. nothing like athuruga .. and the local island very close by didn't work for me . add the wavebreakers and i am not happy :)

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,955 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Robinson Club vs Komandoo

Not been to RC but its exceptional, extensive reef is very appealing as we love snorkelling.

I like the fact that Kom is adults only (more islands need to follow its example!) but the sea defences are off-putting for me, plus the vague potential for day trippers from the very close local island.

Lincolnshire...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
7,665 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Robinson Club vs Komandoo

We loved kom. The snorkelling was good with some good stretches of coral. But, for you, you may find that the house reef is a bit further out than you would like (not just off the beach). On the local island side we went in from the jetty and from the other side we went out across the shallow lagoon some way to get to the reef.

The sea defences didn't bother us.

And we requested a JBV facing away from the local island (the majority of JBV's face away anyway).

Not heard of any guest houses springing up on the local island, which would be the potential source of day trippers. And it's a relatively long sea plane ride up to kom, which would not be commensurate with budget guest house holidays (where a cheap transfer is required).

Not been to RC so can't compare.

But if you want an excellent reef just off the beach have a look at Vilamendhoo and stay in a jwv or JBV so you are at the adults only end.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
96 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Robinson Club vs Komandoo

Thanks spammie and Xarla. I do find the adults only concept quite appealing too, although I don't imagine many folk would take their children that extra journey to Robinson.

There seem to be so few english reviews for Robinson and I find myself wondering why that is. Does anybody know whether the staff can speak English there? (My German is hopelessly basic) Also whether there are any medical facilities at all, bearing in mind the distance from Male?

T23, I've read your various threads with great interest as you seem to be one of the few who have adventured to Robinson :) Apart from the general maintenance jobs, which I understand they are handling shortly, were you just as impressed on your second visit?

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,955 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Robinson Club vs Komandoo

Another vote for Vilamendhoo in the jbv or jwv section. The reef is only 10 metres from the shore in places.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
96 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Robinson Club vs Komandoo

Thanks lynphd. I have been wondering about Vilamendoo. However, we plan to use our avios points to fly and it looks like Thomson are the only people selling Vila these days. I guess we could book direct, although it often seems to work out more expensive to do this. I'll look a bit more closely at it.

I think on the whole, having experienced Kuramathi and Athuruga, we probably prefer a somewhat smaller island that you can walk right round, although we enjoyed Kuramathi enormously.

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,955 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Robinson Club vs Komandoo

Angaga is tiny and has an excellent reef. There's also Thudufushi, Athuruga's sister island. Angaga can be booked independently.

Hampshire, UK
Level Contributor
938 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Robinson Club vs Komandoo

I don't think you can book Vila unless with Thomson with a British passport. This is how Purely Maldives describes the policy so it may not apply to direct bookings.

Having been 5 times to different islands, we seem to have similar criteria and we were almost set on Komandoo for our next trip, not being available to quite afford Athuruga and having read loads of reviews and forum posts I am disappointed that spammie doesn't think the reef is up to much as I value her opinion :-( We had also considered Robinson Club but not keen on the internal flight although its not that much different from a seaplane wait I suppose. I think Thudufushi is much more European guests than British which may not appeal to all.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
96 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Robinson Club vs Komandoo

Yes, I know what you mean Parrotfish. I'd pretty much set my sights on Komandoo, feeling that it had enough other things in its favour that I wouldn't be unduly bothered by the seawall. But a reasonable reef and lots of fish are important to me. Something I realised at Athuruga is that one day can be dramatically different from the next. There were a few days when there were very few fish to be seen at all. And then others when we saw masses.

I don't relish to extra internal flight to Robinson and I really wish there were more reviews forthcoming. But in the main, the reviews I have seen look pretty super. Having waited over 2 hours to get a seaplane to Athuruga, I wonder whether the journey to Robinson would be that much longer in the end. I guess a lot of it depends on flight timings and whether you're lucky enough to get a plane coincide with your arrival in Male.

Anybody planning a trip to Robinson in the near future??!

Liverpool
Level Contributor
5,300 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Robinson Club vs Komandoo

Not having Athuruga and Mirihi to compare it against, but I'd rate Komandoo's reef as at least good. Plus plenty of fish, if you read Adrian Nevilles review on sevenholidays website the number of various species even get a mention.... In fact I'd say at least as much fish life as Angaga, which is another highly rated island for snorkelling.

Ian

Edited: 06 March 2013, 21:39