We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thulhagiri: Resorts quoted rates are the lowest, Possible?

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Topic
Thulhagiri: Resorts quoted rates are the lowest, Possible?

Hello Everyone,

I am planning a trip to Thulagiri for 3N/4D on 5th May 2013 from India.

My preference is water villa.

Agoda:

1 x Water Villa Half Board

USD 371.49 x 3 Nights USD 1,114.47

Compulsory charges:

+ Roundtrip Speed Boat Transfer (Adult x 2) USD 197.82

+ Bed Tax 3 night(s) (Adult x 2) USD 48.42

+ Hotel tax and service feesx 3 Nights USD 83.25

Total: USD1475

Whereas the direct resort quotes are:

USD 313*3 = 919 + transfers$98*2 + GST8% = USD 1260.80

How can these be so low as compared to Agoda. Am I missing something like taxes, etc.

Also, my local travel agent makemytrip quotes USD 1120 per person including airfare.

Please guide.

Edited: 10 March 2013, 19:35
London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thulhagiri: Resorts quoted rates are the lowest, Possible?

Go with the local agent. Agencies always quote different prices, can depend on their commission right through to the deal they have or the exchange rate they use.

As long as everything is included, go for the cheapest. And yes, I have looked at agoda for several resorts and found agoda more expensive than the resort itself. I have also found this with other travel agents.

When I was booking at Dubai last Easter, destinology, a uk agency, after booking the maldives three months earlier for xmas with them,mand after taking my money for dubai, and quoting a price, actually came back and said they could not do it for that price, and, yes, the price they quoted was a couple of hundred bucks more than if I booked it myself with the hotel.

When I sent the agent, the snag it to show it was cheaper to book myself direct, she told me, they were a business and had to make money, I kid you not, we spend a big number a year on vacations, it was our second with them, and I won't ever use them again.

When you ask me to pay over and above the advertised hotel website rack rate, it's over and out for me.

Go with the cheapest, if all else is equal,,,,plus lets be honest, agoda gives no service, it's just a booking agent.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Thulhagiri: Resorts quoted rates are the lowest, Possible?

Thanks for the quick reply. Totally agree with you on the rack rate price front.

I was thinking are there any additional costs other than airfares+transfers+room rent. I mean visa costs etc?

I would love to try simplymaldives too, but not sure whether they accept bookings from India.

Now, this is my honeymoon trip and a low budget one. After all the research, I chose Thulhagiri because it has the cheapest speed boat transfer and a water villa (on top of my wishlist). Total airfare from India is 770 USD.

My total with Half board meal plan:1260.80+770 = 2030.80 USD.

Excluding any activities, how much extra expenses can incur for dinner without alcoholic drinks?

Assuming, not much to shop in Maldives, can I make the complete trip in USD 2400 or am I daydreaming. Also, if yes, would it be boring without any activities?

Please advice members.

Also, other island suggestions (speedboat + water villa) are most welcome.

Thanks for all the help!

Edited: 10 March 2013, 20:20
Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,373 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thulhagiri: Resorts quoted rates are the lowest, Possible?

i suggest purely maldives , rather than simply maldives. they enjoy a much better reputation among forum members .

you are only going for 3 nights .. meaning 2 days, not 4 .. i cannot imagine that you would have time to get bored

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Thulhagiri: Resorts quoted rates are the lowest, Possible?

Thanks spammie, will contact them. But, all travel agents quote 3Nights and 4Days. Confused!

Between, what are your views on my budget?

Please let me know.

Edited: 11 March 2013, 06:13
Abu Dhabi
Level Contributor
487 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thulhagiri: Resorts quoted rates are the lowest, Possible?

Well it IS 4 days/3 nights - but how long time you get to spend in the Maldives depends on your flights....

If you arrive late evening on day 1, and transfer to your island, you'll wake up and have whole of day 2 and 3 (meaning 2 full days) there and depending on your flight home some hours or a full last day (if your flight is in the evening) - be aware, that in most hotels you'll have to check out early (normally between 10 am and noon). You can ask for late check out, but it's not always possible and some hotels charge extra for this.

Conclusion: check your flight times - that will tell you how much time you really have to relax.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Thulhagiri: Resorts quoted rates are the lowest, Possible?

I do get it now. Thanks

Your views on my budget?

To put it simply, I just have enough money to book flights and room with half board + extra meals+emergency funds.

Is anything else required as in other places people do shop and all.

But in maldives?

7. Re: Thulhagiri: Resorts quoted rates are the lowest, Possible?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 March 2014, 06:16