We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sealife

Bagshot, United...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,290 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
Sealife

Can anyone recommend a good book/guide to the sealife around the Maldives? I've got one for the Caribbean which is really good (bit heavy on the old luggage allowance though!). just wondering if there is a recommended one for the Maldives?

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
4,328 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sealife

Reef fishes of the Maldives by RC Anderson is our favourite. Easily available at resort shops or amazon.

Kent, England
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sealife

Or Indian ocean reef guide by Helmut debelius, contains many more species than the Andersen one but also much heavier!

I've started work on a visual reference guide on Facebook too, do let me know if its of interest.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
710 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sealife

Very interesting Jody - I'm intrigued :)

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
8,569 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sealife

Jody

Any chance of a link ;)

Kent, England
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sealife

I hope this works:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/…

You shouldn't need to be a group member to see the album, it's all from pictures that members of the group have taken and I have tried to put them into families.

The point was that unless you know what family or sub species a fish is you have to flick through every page. Had some good feedback so far and hoping to add more to it as time goes on.

Not mentioned it much before as didn't want to come across as self promotion lol

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sealife

Another vote for Charles Anderson reef fishes of the Maldives ... Get it before u go as much cheaper than in the Msldives .... Most islands carry it in their shops

Bagshot, United...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,290 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sealife

Thanks everyone. For the sake of my luggage allowance I think it will be the lighter book

Heavier fish book or more bikinis.......no choice!!!

;o)

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
4,328 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sealife

Jody, your entire FB site is public ... (in case you didn't know)

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
4,328 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sealife

PS great fish ID page ... some on it I always wondered about what they were called and some I've never seen and suppose never will - probably need to be diving for that

Kent, England
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sealife

Glad you liked it Karla, I am hoping to build it up quite a bit more this year!