We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Inspiration needed!

middx
Level Contributor
318 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Inspiration needed!

Have been to the maldives 3 times, last visit Reethi, loved it had great time, but disappointed with snorkeling/quantity fish and with the tattiness of our water villa. Would appreciate any suggestions.

Our budget is £6,000 for 2 people, ideally AI but would consider other options.

2 weeks in low season or 9 nights high season, not set in stone!

Good snorkeling/reef from shore

we don't dive

not bothered what transfers

not bothered size of island

happy with beach villa

not bothered about pool

don't need choice of restaurant

don't mind if there is or isn't nighlife

I am fussy about the quality of accomodation, do not need luxury but want well maintained even if very simple with no tv etc!

I have been thinking about Robinson Club but long transfer puts me off, also Dhiggiri on Spammie's recommendations, any other suggestions welcome, I do appreciate the budget is on the low side for the maldives and may end up going back to Reethi in a DBV as I think this should come in on budget.

Looking forward to any recommendations!

Edited: 17 March 2013, 13:51
middx
Level Contributor
318 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Inspiration needed!

Thanks so much for all your suggestions much appreciate your help, really like the sound of Athuruga, Maafushivaru, Komandoo and Gangehi.

Anyone got personal experience of the reef at Gangehi?

Parrotfish, interested in your comments on Vilamendhoo and Filitheyo, I quite fancied Vilamendhoo but had not considered Filitheyo as I understood the reef was just OK?

Xarla I am torn between low and high season, mainly because feb 2012 we had poor weather and more importantly poor snorkeling due to the weather after paying high season prices! Also there seem to be a lot of people mentioning poor weather this winter.

I have had a quick look at prices and Komandoo is looking quite good at the moment for next feb.

middx
Level Contributor
318 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Inspiration needed!

Just seen your post buckle bugs, and I had considered Filhalhohi in a water villa, but when I priced them up them were quite pricey! What are the beach villas like I don't want luxury quite happy with very simple but I do want well maintained?

We have been to Mirihi, W and Reethi, working our way down in the quality stakes!!

Kent, England
Level Contributor
4,468 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Inspiration needed!

I haven't been but at the 'lower' end, Embudu? I am going to ave to check it out for myself either later this year or early next year as I really love the videos on youtube of the reef and I understand all the rooms were refurbished late last year!

middx
Level Contributor
318 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Inspiration needed!

Oh thats interesting Jody, have heard the reef is very good didn't know all the rooms had been refurbished, sounds good! Will have a good read through their reviews.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,269 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Inspiration needed!

sandj

Fiha' rooms are in blocks, two storey, large more than adequate, plenty of beach space , very nice beach bar, Some people discount it because of shared tables. We said no to that , peak season and it was not a problem, Fiha had probably the nicest low key entertainment we have experienced on an Island and would happily return, although usually like somewhere new .

We dont do watervillas , as dont particularly like them ,never spend much time in the room and are a bit budgety!, however we have had 3 free watervillas in our time, one of which was at Reethi, also unimpressed, although enjoyed Reethi. diving much better than snorkelling. Lovely close reef all round great little Island

Lincolnshire...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
7,665 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Inspiration needed!

Some more info on Kom from when we were there:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g293953-i7445-k5…

And we did a review as well.

Kent, England
Level Contributor
4,468 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Inspiration needed!

And some pictures of the refurbished rooms at Embudu:

embudu.com/index.php/…87-rooms

middx
Level Contributor
318 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Inspiration needed!

Thanks Buckle bugs for your advice, not sure about the rooms in blocks unless I could guarantee a ground floor.

Lynphd, Komandoo looks great, however flipping Destinology don't include transfers in their prices, my OH said oh just book it, go in to double check price and see this, so not such a bargain as we thought!

Jody, thanks for linky, those rooms look great, are they definitely all refurbished?

Kent, England
Level Contributor
4,468 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Inspiration needed!

Looks that way, might be worth contacting atropicaltraveller - the last poster as I think they have been a few times?

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1752120-i22080-k4…

Lincolnshire...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
7,665 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Inspiration needed!

We use Purely Maldives for Kom. You can see the accomodation and transfer prices on their web site but they can package these with scheduled international flights, you just email them.

http://www.purelymaldives.co.uk