We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safari Island Resort / Alif Dhaal / South Ari

Vienna, Austria
Level Contributor
190 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
Safari Island Resort / Alif Dhaal / South Ari

I have now a shortlist of resorts where I want to go in March 2014. As I am not longer sure about Centara Ras Fushi I stumbled over Safari Island Resort. It's already bookable in Austria, but there are very few pictures and none of the villas/facilities. I would be thankful for any kind of information if it is really open already, reviews if possible and - of course - pics would be great.

Alternatives would be Vakaru and Komandoo, but both more expensive than Centara Ras Fushi or Safari Island. And I like the idea of the Dhoni for one or two days inlcuding 3 men crew, sounds really good.

Thanks to all in advance & regards from Vienna

Judy

Kent, England
Level Contributor
4,468 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safari Island Resort / Alif Dhaal / South Ari

Judy I don't thin Safari Island is finished yet, it's the old Dhoni Migili island and is owned by the same company as Angaga.

The Angaga batch facebook group has some pictures on there of Safari Island but that was some time ago and I haven't seen anything recently.

As you can see from Ras Fushi, booking an island that has not opened yet can be a big gamble.

Vienna, Austria
Level Contributor
190 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safari Island Resort / Alif Dhaal / South Ari

Thanks Jody, but at the moment I just want to shorten my list of islands - we can book the winter season at beginning of June in Austria, so I won't book yet (never would book a resort which is not already open). But I'll check on FB. I like the Centara Ras Fushi from their pics, just Tilafushi disturbs me a bit ...

Do you have any suggestions where to go? Should be a small island, stand alone beach villas (but really on the beach, not in the garden) with sandy beaches around the whole island (no concrete!) and nice food and wine. I don't mind lots of water villas - people who book them stay in there most of the time - so not on the beach where I am ;-) I'm going to stay for 12 nights, should not be more than 6.000 Euros AI with everything (trips etc.) inlcuded. And that's not easy because having a bungalow for just 1 person is really expensive ...

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
287 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safari Island Resort / Alif Dhaal / South Ari

12 nts AI in peak season for E6,000 for one person should open up a large amount of islands.

I wouldnt advise even considering any centara property no matter how tempting the prices are especially Ras Fushi facing the toxic waster plane across the sea channel.

Popular AI islands with Beach front villas would be Athuruga, Thudufushi, Maafushivaru, Constance Moofushi, Maybe Lily Beach (but that is family friendly).

Slightly cheaper places would be Vilamendhoo, Angaga, Reethi beach

Komandoo might sit between those two lists in terms of price.

Apart from the odd sunset cruise or line fishing trip, trips are not normally included.

I have been to a couple of those islands and i reckon Maafushivaru would be the smallest, has beaches all round the island, the bonus of a desert island a few hundred yards away where you can go to free of charge and OK food (to my tastes). Trips from Maafushivaru are quite cheap at Maldives prices; we had a full day island hopping trip with snorkelling on 2 reefs, BBQ lunch on a deserted island and a trip to the atoll capital for $55 which is for nothing.

Vienna, Austria
Level Contributor
190 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safari Island Resort / Alif Dhaal / South Ari

Thanks Paul, I WISH my limit would offer a large amount of islands ... Komandoo is nearly 7.000 (AI Gold Package), which would be ok if I can't find something within my planned budget, Constance moofushi (which would be my favorit) is almost 9.000 :-(

Reethi beach has reviews which are a nightmare (partly no beach, just sandsacks, cockroach plague, management does'nt get back to you if you have complaints and so on), Thudufushi offer just double-acommodation, Vilamendhoo is a bit of IKEA-style IMHO etc. etc. Never stumbled over Maafushivaru with Thomas Cook, Neckermann, Meiers Weltreisen, TUI or GULET.

I am checking out Angaga right now. Thanks for the hint! Also Vakaru seems like a good option, do you know about it?

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
287 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safari Island Resort / Alif Dhaal / South Ari

Not been to Vakaru but it was close to Maafushivaru, so S Ari atoll so good snorkelling/diving and the island has been refurbed and has many fans on here.

Maafushivaru would be Kuoni only. When we were there, there were a swiss couple who paid much less than we did through Kuoni Switzerland.

Reethi/Vilamendhoo would be very popular choices with regulars on here, some going to both and some have been to Angaga as well.

Angaga is a picture postcard pretty island but very rustic with comments that the food would only be average, but an excellent reef (as has Vilamendhoo).

Cumbria, United...
Level Contributor
3,446 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safari Island Resort / Alif Dhaal / South Ari

Vakaru is larger than Angaga, but has almost the same amount of accommodation so the rooms feel less like they are bulit on top of eachother, while Reethi accommodation is also also quite well spaced and never feels busy.

In parts the reef at Vakaru is as good as Angaga's but Angaga definately has the edge. Vakaru has some sea defences but nothing too intrusive and great for some safe night snorkelling. Reethi's reef doesn't really compare with either, plenty of fish but lacking in coral and not so engaging.

Reethi does suffer from some beach erosion as does Angaga - have seen sand bagging on both but you need to realise this is sometimes a necessity.

Angaga's food is ok but repetitive. Reethi has a choice of restaurants and we found that the AI/buffet food was pretty good with lots of choice. Vakaru has upgraded since we were there so any food comparison I could make would be unfair.

Vienna, Austria
Level Contributor
190 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safari Island Resort / Alif Dhaal / South Ari

Thanks Heather,

anybody been to Komandoo? Seems really nice, all the villas directly on the beach/waterfront and from 19 years on, so no kids (I don't have any myself and prefer a quite holiday, especially on a small island).

So Vakaru seems to be pretty nice and I like the style of the furnishment a lot. Food is very important to me for great hols so I think this is ok to, even if just one restaurant.

It's not easy to make the right choice, especially these kind of holidays are "a bit" on the pricey side, so it better be really good :-)

Help/Information/Links/Pics very much appreciated!

Hampshire, UK
Level Contributor
938 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Safari Island Resort / Alif Dhaal / South Ari

I went to Reethi beach last year & posted a review.

There is soft sand beach all the way round as we circumnavigated the island several days after meals. Some sand bags only by the main jetty. Didn't see any cockroaches, a few native bugs but all harmless. No mosquito bites & I'm usually a mobile buffet! Excellent food at all outlets and the usual good service. We had no complaints whilst we were there but management were present, especially at the weekly party where they introduce the key staff. Most beach bungalows are detached although we had a semi which was fine.

Other suggestions from me would be 2 on our future list that have been recommended & researched - Komandhoo and Makanudu.

Lincolnshire...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
7,665 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Safari Island Resort / Alif Dhaal / South Ari

We went to komandoo last Dec and loved it.

You can read our review.

And also a few tips from when we were there:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g293953-i7445-k5…

Just ask if you want to know more.

Vienna, Austria
Level Contributor
190 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Safari Island Resort / Alif Dhaal / South Ari

Thanks Parrotfish and Lynphd.

The last reviews of Rheeti were really awful - maybe they have a new management ...

Komandoo seems to be a good choice, and it looks like there are really no "bad" places sides of the island ( I don't mind to look at the maledivian's island, it's far enough and to look at the mosque is nice to - and it's the sunset side - so fine with me). Just started another thread, trying to shorten my list.