We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A bit of ornithology

Folkestone, United...
Destination Expert
for Southern Ari Atoll, Maldives
Level Contributor
2,865 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
A bit of ornithology

Hi All

A bit off topic but I thought I should set the RSPB and other minds at rest with information discovered on holiday about missing species. Firstly the missing sparrows are all alive and well around the Blue Mosque area in Istanbul. The shortage of herons in Maldives in due to them also being in Istanbul nesting in huge quantities in the trees of the park opposite our hotel (Sirkeci Konak).

Lastly the pigeons Boris kicked out of Trafalgar Square now all appear to be on holiday in Male.

I'm sure that bit of useless information will make you all feel better

Regards

Doug

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
4,224 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A bit of ornithology

Hi

Heron shortage?! What a shame!

When not fish spotting (snorkelling) we are on the lookout for interesting birds somewhat lacking in the Maldives we found (no hummingbirds :( but were delighted to spot the 'chicken bird' on TA pix for Baros - any idea what it is? Huge feet, habitat around beach villas - or inside - and loud early morning call, hence nickname. Baros FB recent post also had picture of a delightful rescued babychick water bird. Don't think they have any colourful birds unless any parakeets flew over from Banyan Tree V (here's hoping).

Folkestone, United...
Destination Expert
for Southern Ari Atoll, Maldives
Level Contributor
2,865 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A bit of ornithology

Hi Karla

I thought the only Chicken birds were on Kandholhu (at least that was what we were told ) where they have a large population of these delightful and friendly creatures (except when they come in and poo in the villa) They don't fly so they must have access to water transport to get to Baros and we certainly didn't see them there when we went about 10 years ago now

Regards

Doug

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A bit of ornithology

There is chickens on meed, not sure if they are chicken birds or not, they look like weird chickens, but definetly chickens of some sort.

Little family of them, which wander around,

London
Level Contributor
1,919 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A bit of ornithology

There is a huge flock of feral budgies on Thulhagiri.

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
9,417 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A bit of ornithology

There were also free flying budgies on Angaga as a result of their aviary being damaged by high winds!

On Makunudu we had a whole family of chicken birds - Mum and 5 babies - living in the bushes near our beach villa. The babies were very cute!

OD

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
4,224 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A bit of ornithology

Oh no, we encountered them on our first Maldivian holiday to Vakaru, first heard them - crack of dawn, went WT*, then spotted them in bushes inc baby chicks awww. Never fed them but clearly previous occupiers had as they came begging every day ...

Edited: 21 March 2013, 12:51
Cumbria, United...
Level Contributor
3,446 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A bit of ornithology

They breed cockatoos on Ellaidhoo and have a variety of parrots and a peacock all enjoyed by the staff - we were lucky enough to go into the aviary with a staff member for a look. Also some very inquisitive and tuneful minor birds. I think they had mum dad and baby heron nesting high above the bar - we would see all three in the shallows herding fish fry or on the wass harrying crabs.We too saw baby Maldivian seahens on Vakaru that used to follow mum and dad into our room to see what if anything they could cadge.

suffolk
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A bit of ornithology

We had one on Vilamendhoo ,very tame and friendly . It tried to climb up my legs when I was sitting outside our room .

I saw it eating a couple of times ..... Baby lizards !

9. Re: A bit of ornithology

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 21 March 2013, 17:35
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,308 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A bit of ornithology

when the maldivian herons want a break from the heat, they come for 2 weeks AI, in my ponds , Koi for every meal though, caterings not up to much