We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Meeru vs Thulhagiri - Honeymoon - Final decision

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Topic
Meeru vs Thulhagiri - Honeymoon - Final decision

Hi fellow Travellers,

Its either Meeru or Thulhagiri water villa for me for my honeymoon in may 2013 for 4 nights.

Only these 2 fall into my budget and I need a water villa.

Please note, both of us are first timers in Maldives and non-swimmers, so snorkelling, diving etc are on a backfoot. What matters to us in a pure, genuine maldives experience of water villas in our budget.

Thulhagiri:

Pros:

1. Direct resort booking.

2. More intimate, small island.

3. Water villa totally into water.

Cons:

1. Room quality reviews at trip advisor eg. cockroaches etc.

2. Half board.

Meeru:

Pros:

1. Room quality and hygiene.

2. Full board at the same price.

Cons:

1. Water villas not on water totally? - Those who have travelled, please help on this

2. Big island, overbooking issues.

Request the help of vast knowledgeble people out here. Need to book in a day or two.

Thanks

Vienna, Austria
Level Contributor
190 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Meeru vs Thulhagiri - Honeymoon - Final decision

Hey there, I have never been there, but as I am researching since 3 weeks I never would book Meeru, because they have a huge problem with overbookings (up to 20%). So it could happen that you have to spend your first days in a garden room, sharing your terrace with two other rooms or hop on a boat within one hour after you've arrived and go on a boat trip for some days because they don't have any rooms for you.

That sure would spoil your honeymoon. And I think one doesn't have anything from a voucher for the spa or some restaurants, when you don't get the room you wanted ...

As for the watervillas: there are some pinned to the waterfront (500s) and some totally over the water (more espensive).

Meeru was the first island I've checked out but dropped it as for the overbookings and I'd like a smaller island.

Good luck! I know how difficult it is to find the right resort!

Edited: 22 March 2013, 08:40
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,302 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Meeru vs Thulhagiri - Honeymoon - Final decision

Hi, again

If this is your first time to the Maldives you will love it, but dont de too quick to discount an island that is large, you will find a bigger expanse of beach normally. I have been to Kuredu twice and sat on deserted beach areas, it also gives you a nice area to walk around, especially at sunset out onto sand bars etc.. so dont rule out places like Kuredu/Kuramathi, simple beach bungalows I think are the true maldivian feel. Have you considered Fihalhoi water villas if you are sold on that, another pretty little island, If budget is limited what about something like summer or holiday Island if you are only into beaches.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Meeru vs Thulhagiri - Honeymoon - Final decision

Thanks buckle-bugs,

It is the sea plane transfer to Kuredu and Kurumathi which will eat into my budget sadly :(

Looking at only speed boar options.

I wonder, why are some not so expensive islands only reachable by sea planes :( :(

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Meeru vs Thulhagiri - Honeymoon - Final decision

Thanks Judy_Golightly,

Is the overbooking in summers too?

Because I believe it is off season at that time.

Which island are you into now?

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Meeru vs Thulhagiri - Honeymoon - Final decision

Meeru without a doubt . Far better island

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Meeru vs Thulhagiri - Honeymoon - Final decision

Thanks paul1962Belfast,

Could please help me . Why is Meeru betther than Thulhagiri.

Vienna, Austria
Level Contributor
190 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Meeru vs Thulhagiri - Honeymoon - Final decision

I've shorted down my list now to Komandoo and Zitahli, but both about 30% more expensive.

Don't decide to soon, read lots of reviews incl. user-pics re. erosion, sandbags and many more issues, pick up alternatives and don't let you misguide to the wrong islands - some users have twisted minds and think this is a joke, which is not, because you'll spend a lot of money and then will be disappointed. Especially honeymoon should be a holiday of a lifetime. :-)

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Meeru vs Thulhagiri - Honeymoon - Final decision

Meeru has many fans on here, some say that if it had a house reef it would be a fantastic first time island

Thulhagirl is not so well thought of and from my research is a lower grade island

Read the reviews and see what you think

Lincolnshire...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
7,887 posts
265 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Meeru vs Thulhagiri - Honeymoon - Final decision

Best - if you want to be over water, can you actually get a jwv on Meeru for your dates (and budget)?

Kent, England
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Meeru vs Thulhagiri - Honeymoon - Final decision

Meeru out of these too and sorry Judy but please don't cast aspersions on the forum as a whole.

The OP clearly does NOT have the same budget as you and the islands you are considering are way above the price of these two and incur additional transfer costs.

It's true that the company who own Meeru do overbook the island but besttrip is right, this is less of a problem in low season and you just have to stand your ground. It certainly doesn't affect everyone and many people love Meeru!