We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maldives Fish Identification

London
Level Contributor
8 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Maldives Fish Identification

I have booked a 12 day liveaboard trip on Sea Queen in August. I would like to know which Fish ID book you recommend. I have tried to find Photo guide to fish of the Maldives but it is out of print and so VERY expensive. Any other suggestions please. Thank you.

Kent, England
Level Contributor
4,469 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maldives Fish Identification

Ive got two, Indian ocean reef guide by Helmut debelius and reef fishes of the Maldives by Dr Andersen, neither particularly cheap.

In all honesty, a red sea reef guide would be a cheaper aide, quite a lot of the species ive seen can be seen in both locations.

Vienna, Austria
Level Contributor
190 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Maldives Fish Identification

I have one by Matthias Bergbauer, but it's for the tropical seas in general, not just Maldives. About 20 Euros, not sure if available in English. Bought it via Amazon, so you can search the author there, if you're interested. It's about 220 pages with lots of beautiful pictures and good information.

Edited: 28 March 2013, 18:58
Chester, United...
Level Contributor
815 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Maldives Fish Identification

The one you mention by Rudie H. Kuiter is a fabulous book and has great reviews. I know it is out of print and on the likes of Amazon is very expensive. You maybe able to pick up a second hand one from Ebay. I managed to get a copy in this way last year - I think it cost me somewhere between £25 and £30. It was well worth it, so I would recommend you keep on looking for it.

Edited: 28 March 2013, 19:31
London, United...
Level Contributor
5,955 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Maldives Fish Identification

Two-headed sharks, anyone?

UK
Level Contributor
980 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Maldives Fish Identification

I have just bought a second hand copy of the book you want at a very reasonable price ... it is in good condition , from Abebooks... maybe try them .

Folkestone, United...
Destination Expert
for Southern Ari Atoll, Maldives
Level Contributor
2,850 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Maldives Fish Identification

Hi

The fish cards are very good and relatively cheap can be bought in the resorts

Regards

Doug

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Maldives Fish Identification

Oh my,,,must just be me,,," wow, what's that? " " it's an X" ...two seconds later,,,totally forgotten and could care less...:))

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
25,454 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Maldives Fish Identification

Not just you froggy, I tried to identify fish when I started. Just tooo many and so many look alike. I admire those who can. Corals are much easier.

Good to know the poisonous ones though ;-)

Kent, England
Level Contributor
4,469 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Maldives Fish Identification

I identify every species I photograph, I'm on a mission to capture every species of butterfly fish known to inhabit the maldivest:-)

Each to their own, I love showing other people the amazing underwater world ive had the privilege to share for a short while!

Cumbria, United...
Level Contributor
3,446 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Maldives Fish Identification

I also have the Rudie Kuiter guide which we bought at Male airport on returning from our first visit. Most dive centres have this guide and maybe the liveaboard will too - you should pm sky5 who has been on the Sea Queen for further information. He started a thread about the Sea Queen here

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g293953-i7445-k3…

If you can't get your hands on a guide you are happy with before you go and the liveaboard does have guides available for reference, how about an ID slate - they look fairly basic but will be lightweight and may be a stopgap until you find the guide you want at the right price.

amazon.co.uk/Fish-Card-Indian-Ocean-Maldives…