We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sorry but another where to stay

Rhoose Wales
Level Contributor
18 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Sorry but another where to stay

Hi am looking to travel to Maldives next April (middle) and am wondering what would be a good place I need a water villa all inclusive not to bothered about the diving but would like a pool if poss Budget is around £5000 for 2 adults and my daughter who will be 15 flying from UK I understand that the weather is drier in the north so this would be good. As for duration budget will dictate this. Almost forgot wifi for my daughter is a must. My holidays revolve around reading a good book and enjoying great food with a glass or two of wine.

Hope someone can offer some advice as it is quite a considerable amount of money so want everything to be OK.

Thanks

Simeon

Kent, England
Level Contributor
4,468 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sorry but another where to stay

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I forsee quite a few problems. Mid April next year is Easter Holidays so prices are already inflated and then add that your daughter will be classed as an adult and I don't think a water bungalow will be possible on your budget for the three of you.

You may also have issues with a 15 year old being in a WV, many resorts will not allow under 18s in them due to safety concerns. Wifi is likely to be available but also most likely chargeable so if she plans on using in extensively then it will cost you a reasonable amount.

Even the three of you in a beach villa for a week using Thomson on an AI package is between £4,500 and £5,000 for a mid range 3* and well over £5k for a 4*.

Edited: 29 March 2013, 20:19
Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
13,916 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sorry but another where to stay

hate to agree .. you will have to revise your budget upwards by quite a bit or forego the watervilla .. sorry

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sorry but another where to stay

I don't think you will have a problem with the 15 year old in the water villa in most resorts, I have.a fifteen year old myself, but you will have a problem with budget.

We are going in July, which is low season, for two weeks in a water villa to a four star and price for the three of us is nearly three times your budget, inc flights.

Yes you can get it cheaper, but five k, will by the time you take flights and transfers out, leave you not much left. Probably a Couple of nights somewhere,

Get with a good travel agent, purely Maldives is well rated and see what they can bring in the cheapest, but water villas bump up the price hugely, and beach villas are very good, with a teenager, they can be the better option.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
2,157 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sorry but another where to stay

we had a almost 6 year old in a WV at Hilton last summer - worked out great, but both of my children are competition swimmers - and probably swims better than most of the staff.

A 15 year old should not be a problem if the hotels have an age restriction it is usually 12 years.

If you are not to bothered about snorkeling look into Hilton - No AI but very reasonable prices at some of the restaurants and bars. The WV was really nice - totally amazing

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
2,157 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sorry but another where to stay

PS: Sometime Hilton runs some great campaigns - we paid 188 usd plus tax pr night pr room incl breakfast, but that was during summer

6. Re: Sorry but another where to stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 April 2013, 15:31
Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
13,916 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sorry but another where to stay

centara ras fushi offers that kind of price only now during their soft opening phase . it will be out of budget by next year . also , it comes of course with a big warning tag for having a view of an industrial island and garbage burning plant - which is not everyone's cup of tea. there is also no snorkeling from the beach which the teenager would probably like.

Level Contributor
1,608 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sorry but another where to stay

I am going in late May this year with 2 of my children, one counts as an adult and it is costing me over £6k for a beach bungalow for a week, albeit on a good 4 star island. I have stayed in WV in the past and whilst I loved them, my last trip was staying in a beach villa and I actually think I preferred it! Swop to looking for a beach villa and it may be in budget. Like me, sounds like you are tied to school hols, if so, look at July, likely to be cheaper.

Rhoose Wales
Level Contributor
18 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sorry but another where to stay

Thanks everyone will check out all suggestions Looks like I am going to have do a lot of overtime but I am sure it will be worth it Thanks again for all the invaluable advice

Simeon

10. Re: Sorry but another where to stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 April 2014, 07:16