We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Last minute Maldives for the first time,advice please?

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
15 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Last minute Maldives for the first time,advice please?

Hi everyone,

Because of my husband's work schedule we have to take our vacation next week. So we have to choose a resort and go. We will most likely buy it from either Agoda- Booking.com or from the Resort directly due to the last minute situation. We thought maybe it could be a good idea to split our vacation as 3 nights in one resort and 4 nights in an other one to enjoy more Maldives. What is your opinion on this? Is it doable?

I have been looking at agoda and booking.com for last minute booking options and here we have narrowed down our hotel choices within availability to the following:

options for 3 days in:

Thulhagiri

Kuramathi ( I tried to email the hotel to confirm a JWV but the receptionist at Kuramathi is not giving me a clear answer for a WJV saying they can only know the room number allocation one day prior. I don't understand what's going on there)

Anantara Veli

Medhufushi

options for 4 days in

Mihiri

One and Only

Six Senses Laamu

What we look for :

a luxurious island experience ( here we can split the week : one luxurious, one mid range resort)

a close to shore house reef,

some entertainment ( here also we can split the week: One quite, one with some entertainment)

we will appreciate all other alternative suggestions!

Thank you.

Best regards.

Cumbria, United...
Level Contributor
3,446 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Last minute Maldives for the first time,advice please?

I'm more receptive than most to splitting a holiday between islands having done it myself BUT I would think very carefully about doing this if the total length of your stay is 7 days.

We split our holiday in 2011 between 2 islands but we spent 7 days on our first island and 9 days on the second. Admittedly the islands we chose invovled returning to Male and a seaplane transfer but, because of the length of stay we had allocated, this allowed for any unforseen delays (which we had due to the weather). With hindsight we would probably only consider doing any split (even wholly by speedboat) over a similar holiday length.

Even if you choose 2 islands close together you will still lose a fair chunk of your holiday time transferring (also your budget): packing and checkout, waiting for your transport - you might be lucky and leave at the allocated time - we never have, the speedboat has always been 15/30 minutes later than planned and bad weather can slow things down more; you may not get a speedboat transfer if the islands are close by, it might be by dhoni which is slower; then you are checking in again and unpacking on your next island. Even if door to door you were lucky and it took 2 hours personally it would be too much hassle for a 7 day holiday - I'd look for an island that will offer both BB and WV accommodation if you can get this in your budget (which on Spammie's calculation above looks rather tight).

If snorkelling and a nearby reef are an important part of your criteria I would cross Anantara Veli and One and Only Reethi Rah (and maybe Thulhagiri as well) off your list as they do not have an easily accessable house reef from the beach. If Mirihi is available and within your budget I would book it! I havn't been - its out of my price range but it is well recommneded by many here who are regulars there.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Last minute Maldives for the first time,advice please?

Ok email a good travel agent immediately. Try purely Maldives in the uk, who have good prices and deal with a global clientele. Tell them it's urgent, your budget and what you are looking for.

Do not use agoda or book direct, you will pay more.

Do not split your trip when it's such a short duration. Day 1 and the last day ( day 7 ) are travel days anyway due to logistics and island transfers. You don't want to lose another day to travel.

http://www.purelymaldives.co.uk/

Right now, as it's Easter and peak season, your first objective is to find what actually has availability. Next week is the second busiest time of the year, and the better resorts and rooms will be taken, so you need a good agent, who knows what is available and can get you good prices to deal with it.

Cumbria, United...
Level Contributor
3,446 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Last minute Maldives for the first time,advice please?

******Ignore my comment end of paragraph 3 - it comes from a differnt post and I forgot to delete it - unfortunately froggy was too quick and I could edit it out****************

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Last minute Maldives for the first time,advice please?

Sorry, we crossed/))

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
15 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Last minute Maldives for the first time,advice please?

Thank you both very much. It helps a lot. Thank you froggy I will write purely Maldives tomorrow. Price is actually one of the reason why wanted to split the week. We could be ok to pay for 3 nights for a luxury resort but 7 nights might sadden my husband price wise I"m sure :) From the little research I made it looked like it is going to be hard to find a resort that has everything. As Froggy mentioned especially now with the Easter business. A mid range price / luxury feel- elegance / close to shore house reef/ not too crowded but has some entertainment. Which resort would you suggest?

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Last minute Maldives for the first time,advice please?

Hmm, try the diamonds resorts, athuruga and thudufushi.

The issue is mid price and luxury are mutually exclusive. However depends on your definition of mid price.:))

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
4,357 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Last minute Maldives for the first time,advice please?

No pont suggesting resorts which might fit a wish list at such short notice during peak season ... Months ago, couldnt get a water villa at Komandoo. As others have said, best to contact a reputable agent and see what is available within your budget and if it sounds like your kind of place just book it!

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Last minute Maldives for the first time,advice please?

You will be lucky to get availability in one resort never mind two so I would ditch the 2 resort plan

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
15 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Last minute Maldives for the first time,advice please?

Froggy Thank for your suggestion. I appreciate it.

I will try my chances with purely Maldives but I still have the option of buying from agoda. And there are possibilities there. so your suggestions are very important to me. I am very aware of my last minute situation and the difficulties that come with it. Please even if you think it is pointless to suggest, make a suggestion anyway if you can. Because it helps me. Thanks in advance.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Last minute Maldives for the first time,advice please?

Agoda can be more expensive than the resort itself. Also make sure transfers are included and all taxes.

Are you sure these places have availability? I am really surprised mirihi has space for next week for example,,,,

If it does and you can afford it, go for it. If you do split the stay, you will need to contact the resorts themselves to organise it, and many could include a flight back to male and then out again. I genuinely would scrub round that idea.,,,,

Good luck, let us know where you end up.