We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to take my adult daughter?

Swanwick, United...
Level Contributor
4,391 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Where to take my adult daughter?

I have some ideas, but thought I would ask other's opinions. I am on a very limited budget (£1500pp including flight) so it will probably need to be a package deal. Must be 7 nights AI in July. I want to get the best value for money, comfort (padded loungers, modern decor) and Maldivian experience (snorkellling- even if trips, open air bathrooms, rooms not in blocks etc) I understand there will have to be some compromise. In the islands I list I will also have to be in the lowest room category.

I have three lines of thought.

Plan A - Go to an island I have already been to in that price bracket ie: Ellaidhoo or Biyadhoo, possibly the Atoll Explorer (although worried at last minute cancellations with AE) and Vilamendhoo.

Plan B - Go to an island I would never visit with my husband ie Dhonveli, Hudhuranfushi, Club Ranalhi, Summer Island Village, Kuredu, Meedhupparu.

Plan C - Go to an island I am not sure about to do a recky for possible future visits ie Embudu.

Really I would be looking for an island that I would not normally choose. Things like a TV and a Pool might be a bonus and also possibly a busier island as daughter is quite social and gets bored easily. However it is somewhere I have always wanted to take her and I know she will love the snorkelling.

So where would you choose? Any other budget suggestions?

Regards

T23

Swanwick, United...
Level Contributor
4,391 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Where to take my adult daughter?

The emirates flights for the advertised prices are via Dubai and Colombo with some substantial stopping times.

So I think Thomson ( not a fan) may be best and cheapest direct flight.

middx
Level Contributor
321 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Where to take my adult daughter?

Have you seen these pictures of all new refurbished rooms embudu.com/index.php/pictures/47-rooms/photo… But then you look at this review http://www.holidaycheck.com/detail-reviews_Hotel+Embudu+Village+Island+top+room+flop-ch_hb-id_8682581.html which is recent and says it is a standard room, but I thought all rooms were superior and had been refurbished!!

You definitely need to go and check it out!!

Edited: 06 April 2013, 13:39
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,319 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Where to take my adult daughter?

took our late teenage boys to Kuredu and Kuramathi , had a ball, quite buzzy in the bar, hardly saw them.

suffolk
Level Contributor
3,653 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Where to take my adult daughter?

T23......sorry. I was just off to the local hostelry last night when I posted about Reethi. I completely forgot about transfers. As you have now discovered, you have to add them on.

I think going somewhere you haven't been before, not spending a lot of money and only for 7 days would be exciting for both of you.

John

suffolk
Level Contributor
3,653 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Where to take my adult daughter?

And as you say, those decent flights have now gone. £3114 including the plane/speedboat transfers.

Have you had a word with Purely?

John

Bedford
Destination Expert
for Samana Province
Level Contributor
4,509 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Where to take my adult daughter?

Hi T23,

Travelbag are perfectly fine, just ring them and get a quote including transfers etc. We went to Reethi with them in the summer, because SuffolkJohn said their prices were good and he was right, far cheaper than anyone else.

We have also just returned from a wonderful holiday in Mauritius, as recommended by a certain T23, and that was with Travelbag too.

Swanwick, United...
Level Contributor
4,391 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Where to take my adult daughter?

Sandj - I am also confused by rooms and I especially like outdoors bathroom, I have not seen those photos thnk.

Buckle bugs - those ones are a bit more expensive.

John -Yes I have spoken to purely and would use them for all my other holidays but for this cheapy one think package deal is my best option.

Missfits - cant believe you are back already will PM you.

Cumbria, United...
Level Contributor
3,446 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Where to take my adult daughter?

I know what you mean about Biya feeling busy with only one bar - we used to take our cocktails (still better on Biya then Ellaidhoo) on to a sunbed near the bar for peace. Maybe we were lucky in that there have been just a few children whenever we have been on either island so no problems with that. It would just make a change if Ellaidhoo would turn the music off at at least one of their bars once a week - we drank in both bars and the music began to grate - needs a quiet bar like the WV bar on Reethi - thats all! We often took our drinks to reception where Prem would keep us talking for ages - really wants to know you are enjoying your time there!

How about Fihalhohi? When we were there there was different nightly entertainment which you could take or leave and the more quiet Lagoon bar on the beach - FB only though if thats a concern

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
4,269 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Where to take my adult daughter?

Also found Travlbag fantastic - got quote from Jai who seems to work all hours inc late weekends, by email, including all transfers and significantly cheaper than everywhere else. Booked our Baros holiday with them.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,319 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Where to take my adult daughter?

You mentioned hudhuran'?, it always gets a bad press on here , but as old Lohi it is still my favourite Maldives memory. a few nice little beach areas . some reef at the jetty end. surf bar was good, and the interior was pretty with a banana plantation, squash court. and lovely guy who wheeled out his telescope every night. had a bit of everything, we loved it.