We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

North Male Atoll weather in June vs August?

Denmark
Level Contributor
6 posts
103 reviews
Save Topic
North Male Atoll weather in June vs August?

Ok, I know there's a FAQ about Maldives weather. In said FAQ, it's stated (via this graph http://img295.imageshack.us/img295/3967/north.jpg) that there's considerably more average rainfall in June than in August in the North Male atolls.

However, sites such as the following two claim the exact opposite (i.e. more average rainfall in August than in June):

maldivesdivetravel.com/maldives-weather/mald…

weather2travel.com/climate-guides/maldives/n…

So which is it? I know that it's impossible to predict the weather, but surely looking at historical data, we should be able to get an idea of which months typically have the most rainfall?

For some reason it's fairly hard to find reviews from people who have stayed at North Male atoll resorts in June through August. For those of you who have - please give us your story with respect to the weather! How was it?

Again, I know about the FAQ but it seems to run counter to weather data from other sources, and I think it would be useful for a lot of people to know whether a trip to the North Maldives is too risky in June through August..at least based on past data and experiences.

Thanks

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,443 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: North Male Atoll weather in June vs August?

whichever island , whichever month in the rainy season - your weather expectations are exactly the same . you could experience anything from 2 weeks of glorious sunshine to 2 weeks of unbroken heavy rain and storm. the most likely scenario is a lot of clouds , some sun and some rain.

do keep in mind that the north male atoll is not the northern maldives ... but it honestly makes no difference.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: North Male Atoll weather in June vs August?

Agree with spammie, except the " most likely scenario is a lot of clouds, some sun and some rain" . Yes, it might be, but not sure I would agree that's the most likely in low season, of course, additionally it will be hot. Many of us have been in the low season and experienced lots of sun, with some clouds and rain, usually at night" so a slightly different nuance to the sentance.

I would prefer August to June, but as spammie says it's a lottery either way, odds are it will be good, but always a risk you hit unlucky at either time, and this includes the dry season. Previous years weather can't be relied on to judge for your island during your two weeks.

Remember though it is a tropical climate, it's not like winter in Denmark:))

Ps just search weather in x month on this forum and plenty threads.

3. Re: North Male Atoll weather in June vs August?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 April 2014, 06:19