We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maldives and Climate Change

Denver, Colorado...
13 posts
Save Topic
Maldives and Climate Change

Hey guys. I'm very interested in talking to people who have been to the Maldives. I write blogs about the more treacherous spots on the globe for company websites. I wrote something about how climate change is effecting the Maldives. Did you see any evidence of it? Did the government ask you for donations via the "tourism tax"? I'm very interested in what it is like over there. Any info would be useful.

Thanks a bunch,

Ian

Folkestone, United...
Destination Expert
for Southern Ari Atoll, Maldives
Level Contributor
2,885 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maldives and Climate Change

Hi

Man made Climate change is a myth as there has been no significant change in temperature in 10 years there are therefore no effects in the Maldives

Regards

Doug

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
9,417 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Maldives and Climate Change

I am intrigued that you seem to consider the Maldives as one of the world's "more treacherous" spots. I think most people on this forum would consider the Maldives as one of the world's most idyllic places. It is true that there was damage caused by the Boxing Day tsunami but that was a natural disaster. It is true there are things in the sea that can kill you but equally there are many more things that can give you immense joy and pleasure: sunbathing, eating good food, relaxation, snorkelling and diving on some of the world's best reefs..

"More treacherous"? I don't think so.

OD

OD

Swindon, United...
Level Contributor
3,917 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Maldives and Climate Change

Man-made climate change is hardly a myth.

Hi Ian, there is a problem with erosion on some (possibly many) Maldives islands, but I don't see how anyone here can comment authoritatively on whether that's a result of climate change or something else.

Folkestone, United...
Destination Expert
for Southern Ari Atoll, Maldives
Level Contributor
2,885 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Maldives and Climate Change

Bernard

Erosion is caused by the tides and the winds during the different monsoon season on low lying islands. Nothing new there. Man made climate change is vast industry based on very dodgy science and seized upon by politicians to squeeze even more money out of us to waste on their pet projects to buy votes

Regards

Doug

Swindon, United...
Level Contributor
3,917 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Maldives and Climate Change

Doug, though the science of climate change isn't certain (science is tentative by its nature) it's hardly "very dodgy". Here's an interesting article about temperature in the last 10 years:

newscientist.com/blogs/shortsharpscience/201…

You can have plateaus and even dips in an upward trend curve, so don't be surprised if in the next ten years average global temperatures start to increase again.

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,955 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Maldives and Climate Change

Maybe he means 'vulnerable' not 'treacherous' because if sea levels did rise considerably (god forbid) the whole country would be underwater. Possibly 'precarious'...but not 'treacherous'!

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,179 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Maldives and Climate Change

Actually he probably does mean treacherous. See definition below. It could be used as in the second meaning,

treach·er·ous

/ˈtreCHərəs/

Adjective

1. Guilty of or involving betrayal or deception.

2. (of ground, water, conditions, etc.) Hazardous because of presenting hidden or unpredictable dangers.

Anyway, " climate change " definition is, surprisingly " change in the worlds climate" . I would say the climate has changed subtly in many countries, from -9 degrees snow in April in Brussels, to 10 days later basking in 24 degrees sun. The uk had the coldest march I think in 51 years. So yes it's changing, but it could just be cyclical.

For the Maldives, for me, in my personal experience, there is now less difference between high and low season, the chance of rain appears equipresent in both seasons, as does the chance of unbroken sun. If the records started again three years ago, I am unsure we would still have a wet and dry season.

Past that, I cant comment as I would need to have studied it.

Ps doug, the op did not ask about man made climate change, although I think it foolish to think that man has no impact. Nor did he specifically ask about tempretaure change in ten years specifically, he asked about how climate change is effecting the Maldives, " climate " is defined as " The weather conditions prevailing in an area in general or over a long period". So of course the climate is changing, we can all see it, it's a natural phenomena. He did not ask if it was man made.

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
285 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Maldives and Climate Change

less than 1 % of all CO2 in the atmosphere comes from man. The largest amount comes from the sunlight hitting the ocean and releasing CO2 and from insects and naturally occuring phenomenon (volcanoes are a good one).

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
285 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Maldives and Climate Change

Oceans have risen and subsided over the millenium (hundreds of feet - not a few inches) . Mountains have risen. Land that was under the sea is now thousands of feet in the air. We had ice ages and heatwaves and asteroids hitting the earth which changed the climate. And man wasnt around for any of that. Climate changes. The ice caps never used to be there. Ice in Antartica is actrually increasing - fact. Period. And you cant blame it all on Thilafushi lol lol lol

Swindon, United...
Level Contributor
3,917 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Maldives and Climate Change

Hi Froggy, though the difference between months may have changed compared to the past, 2012 seems to have had less hours of rain in the dry season (Jan to Mar) than the rest of the year:

weatherspark.com/history/33951/2012/Hulhule-…

This is assuming that Hulhule is representative of the Maldives as a whole, which it may not be.

Edited: 16 April 2013, 15:12
Mentioned in this post
Hulhule Island
Hulhule Island
North Male Atoll