We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best Whaleshark - Manta Snorkeling trips... where?

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Maldives
Level Contributor
11,896 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
best Whaleshark - Manta Snorkeling trips... where?

i had already created another topic on which resort was better, Angaga, Vila o Vakarufushi...

but what we are really interested in: Whalesharks and Mantas. we don't dive so only snorkeling trips. What are the atolls/resorts that offer the best snorkelings trips to see whalesharks and Mantas?

Budget is not an issue, as long as the island is small, a great housereef, good rooms and good food. to cut it short: we are looking for another Filitheyo, but with Whalesharks and Mantas :D

(fyi. Mirihi is on top of our list, but due to work, we can't confirm anything until the last moment. infact twice now in two years we lost bookings at Mirihi because we were not able to confirm in time. so we are looking for other options.)

Thanks

Kent, England
Level Contributor
4,473 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: best Whaleshark - Manta Snorkeling trips... where?

I actually applied for a placement with mwsrp back in 2011, was in semi regular contact with jay who said he thought I would have a place for 2012 and should know in the October and I never heard a thing after that, I was gutted as it was something really wanted to do and had been encouraging other visitors to send them their WS photos to see which ones were around.

A few months later on Facebook noticed they were asking for volunteers for the same time I was available, clearly i didnt make the grade!

Cotswolds, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives, North Male Atoll, Southern Ari Atoll, Lhaviyani Atoll
Level Contributor
4,711 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: best Whaleshark - Manta Snorkeling trips... where?

Andy-Suffolk ...... Mirihi don't always use their private yacht for their whale shark trips so the price is not boat based. However, I have noticed they are more successful at spotting WS over other islands who go out on the same day.........

Hopefully I wil be seeing them again in a couple of months time :)

....AG

Prague, Czech...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
23. Re: best Whaleshark - Manta Snorkeling trips... where?

Hi Richard, according to the programme and restriction I have read about - is there still possibility to scuba dive at Hanifaru Bay or it is strictly forbidden? Lifeboards and Scuba diving Safaris still offer trips to this area, so I am quite confused...

Thank you for your reply,

Tereza

London, United...
Level Contributor
496 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: best Whaleshark - Manta Snorkeling trips... where?

Tereza, I was as Hanifaru in October last year and there was no scuba diving allowed, only snorkelling

Prague, Czech...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
25. Re: best Whaleshark - Manta Snorkeling trips... where?

Hi,

Thank you - teddingtontowner. :-)

T.

London
Level Contributor
742 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: best Whaleshark - Manta Snorkeling trips... where?

soo :) I'm exactly on the same boat as ShawnWithCaterina - would love to snorkel end July/beginning August and experience see mantas and whale sharks but I'm actually still confused where would I get the best chance of doing so :) south ari or baa? and within any of the "preferred" atoll, which islands would be closer/best reach?

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,659 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: best Whaleshark - Manta Snorkeling trips... where?

You can see whale sharks in south ari atoll year round. I'm not sure about Baa atoll for whale sharks . . . someone else will be able to confirm.

Bishops Stortford...
Level Contributor
1,277 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: best Whaleshark - Manta Snorkeling trips... where?

As K Anthony says whale sharks are resident in South Ari and here you have the best opportunity to see them year round.

The plankton and wind conditions dictate the amount of mantas and visiting whale sharks on Baa Atoll with July-Sept being the optimum time if conditions are right.

Mantas will usually have moved on from Ari during this period however this year we were fortunate enough to be in Arinin February and again in July where we had Mantas on both occasions.

Check out some of the blogs/diaries at the dive centres on the Islands you are considering it will give you a good indication of what's around and when.

London
Level Contributor
742 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: best Whaleshark - Manta Snorkeling trips... where?

Terrific! Many thanks for sharing your view!

So on the south ari and also on the north male atoll are there still any manta points where dring that period you could still see them?

Bishops Stortford...
Level Contributor
1,277 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: best Whaleshark - Manta Snorkeling trips... where?

Not too clued up on North Male, again check out some of the dive operators diaries which will give you a first hand indication of sightings etc...

Everything is changing worldwide so next year it could all stand on its head.