We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overbooking

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
286 reviews
Save Topic
Overbooking

What's going on?

I remember when I first joined thefor and I think it was Veligandu that was mentioned as being commonly over booked. But since then, not much of a mention.

But recently,everyone seems to be at it

I mean, how hard can it be?

Kalix, Sweden
Level Contributor
683 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Overbooking

Absolutely agree, it seems more and more common with overbooking these days in the Maldives. When we went to Vilamendhoo almost two years ago, there was an overbooking issue with our Beach Villa and we were upgraded to a Jacuzzi Water Villa (which we thought was fantastic!) so all turned out well, but earlier this year, our travel agency told us just a couple of weeks prior to arrival that we were "bumped out" of our Thudufushi booking due to an overbooking problem which resulted in us cancelling our holiday. A real let-down and really disappointing!

I also wonder, how hard can it be? Can`t islands + travel operators count how many rooms they have and plan accordingly?!

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
8,190 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Overbooking

I agree Paul !!

And 1 island keeps popping up time and time again every season ,,

Vilamendhoo !!!

Darryl

Liverpool
Level Contributor
5,300 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Overbooking

It's a despicable practice whether it's done by the resort or the travel agent, and something I simply wouldn't tolerate. I certainly wouldn't be downgraded on arrival, not for even one night for any amount of bribery.

Baldock, United...
Level Contributor
767 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Overbooking

It always used to be Meeru as well but the Meeru people don't come on this forum much as they have dedicated forums.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
4,213 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Overbooking

Kuredu and Komandoo used to another culprit - remember the snootiness about the people from Kuredu having been upgraded to Komandoo?! Also, our visit to Komandoo happened during high season when Komandoo commonly overbooked its JBVs and we were indeed offered a water villa which cost much more - OH up until that point wasn't interested ("want to step on sand when I get out of room") but agreed to look at room ... We called reception as soon as we got there to confirm we keep it for 2 weeks ;) Now, only wants water villas ...

After that, there was one other occasion where we were offered a few nights on their yacht (as they needed our room), as I have no sea legs, declined, cannot recall where that was - Mirihi?

Level Contributor
1,608 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Overbooking

It happened to OnOn & I when we arrived at Thud, downgraded to BV and boy did we kick up a fuss but despite our demands, no choice. Compensated and well treated after that but I am still cross about it. It was mentioned I reviews as being common practice at that time on Thud

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,302 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Overbooking

Been happening a long time, yonks ago ? second trip , went to meeru, offered yacht and then water bungalow to leave most basic rooms by dive school, bit of a bonus really,

Liverpool
Level Contributor
5,300 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Overbooking

PM - I wonder what they'd have done if you'd insisted you either got what you booked or they could damn well get you on the first seaplane out of there! Because that's what I'd have done.....

I would have happily created merry hell when we (initially) didn't get the boat trip we'd booked at Reethi Beach except I didn't want to cause embarrassment for Jody, Bonters and co - and that was for a poxy boat trip!

I don't take kindly to being ripped off, and that is effectively what they're doing by over booking - and they know it.

Level Contributor
1,608 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Overbooking

Ian, we did insist, believe me! We caused an almighty fuss but had arrived by a 2 hour speedboat trip as sea planes on strike and in the pitch black. The manager spent the next week avoiding us. Other people in the same situation got 50% refund for the cost of the night, spa treatment & lobster dinner. We got 100% refund and a dhoni and crew at our disposal for the day. We went to Athuruga where we were given a room for the day and it was great.

London
Level Contributor
1,919 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Overbooking

Have been offered "alternatives" on all three of our visits to Veligandu and declined when we could. On our second visit we had an upgrade to a JWV from a WV, had no say in it but would have preferred the WV as I am too lazy to move. 1st trip we were offered a boat cruise, on our 3rd trip we were offered the managers island on the last night. Never had a problem on Vilamendhoo but I know it goes on and Meeru has some history of it. As these three resorts are all Crown and Champa resorts it can only be company policy.