We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Returning to the Maldives with a toddler

Scotland
Level Contributor
742 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Returning to the Maldives with a toddler

Hi,

I've been away from here for a couple of years after having a baby and trying hard not to think about what we were missing out on....

We have previously been to Meeru, Veligandu, Athuruga and Mirihi and had thought it would be some time before we returned however we are now considering a visit with our daughter who would be 22months at the time of travel. I know the pros and cons of taking young children to the Maldives has been done to death and she's too young for most of the kids clubs anyway but I just wondered if any of you had any advice about islands that might suit our requirements. Of the islands we've visited, I actually think Athuruga was our favourite although possibly because we were unlucky with weather and jellyfish at Mirihi, but we definitely prefer smaller - mid sized islands rather than the bigger ones.

We are looking for

- very good easily accessible house reef

- beach villa with an enclosed garden area with some space for little one to play in (and possibly a plunge pool)

- on-site doctor

- shortish transfer from Male ( not necessarily restricted to speedboat though)

These are the main priorities but I'm also wondering if any islands have indoor or outdoor play areas for young children separate from a kids club?

And also, although I feel ashamed saying it here, I think I'd like a pool for the little one in addition to the Indian Ocean.

I know Lily Beach is highly recommended for families but it's never seemed that good value for money to me. And the outdoor area in the beach villas doesn't look to be that good. My travel agent has suggested CP Bodu Hithi, I think because of the outside space the villas have. Does anyone know if there is a dr on site there as I couldn't find the info on their website. Is the reef good? Any comments about this island?

Any other recommendations? I haven't kept up to date so know nothing about any islands that have opened in the last couple of years.

Budget wise we are quite flexible. I have recently inherited some money and this is the last chance we have of our daughter travelling for nothing so would likely be our last long haul trip for some time. Accommodation only budget for 14 nights, on HB or more could possibly be up to around £5k.

Many thanks in advance for your forum wisdom.

TLSK

york
Level Contributor
507 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Returning to the Maldives with a toddler

just posted almost identical message to you!!! let me know if you hear anything please!

Scotland
Level Contributor
742 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Returning to the Maldives with a toddler

Hi, just read yours too. A little scary to consider going back with the little one but we're finding it too hard to stay away! Will let you know what we decide.

york
Level Contributor
507 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Returning to the Maldives with a toddler

thanks. when were you on veligandu?

Scotland
Level Contributor
742 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Returning to the Maldives with a toddler

Summer 2009. We loved Meeru so much in 2008 that we went back in 2009, took advantage of overbooking and ended up on Veligandu. We loved it there but wanted a better house reef so went to Athuruga in 2010 and Mirihi in 2011. Didn't think we'd go back with a toddler but seriously considering it now.....

york
Level Contributor
507 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Returning to the Maldives with a toddler

when in 2009? we were there from 8/8 for 2 weeks in 2009

Truro, United...
Level Contributor
584 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Returning to the Maldives with a toddler

Hi TLSK

Before thinking about CPBH it might be worth reading Richards comments in his recent thread " Back in Paradise". CPBH does not sound all that welcoming and this coming from a travel agent they would presumable try to impress so he would give them a good review. Maybe think again?:)

Happy research

BFB

Truro, United...
Level Contributor
584 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Returning to the Maldives with a toddler

Sorry meant to say "Another trip to Paradise"...

Scotland
Level Contributor
742 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Returning to the Maldives with a toddler

Thanks for the heads up BFB. I had read on their website that long trousers were needed for dinner which I was somewhat surprised about but it wouldn't be a deal breaker. Disappointing to read about the poor attitudes shown by staff though. We may be back to the drawing board.

Mikeandrach, we must have missed you by a few days. I think we left on the 3rd or 4th of August.

Hampshire
Level Contributor
2,502 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Returning to the Maldives with a toddler

Hi TLSK

My words may just be the ramblings of a tired man after a busy day - maybe best to ignore my trousers issue as me getting my knicker in a twist (or trousers!). CPBH has fared pretty well in TA reviews - so it could just be me.

Best wishes wherever you visit.

Thanks

Richard from PurelyMaldives

10. Re: Returning to the Maldives with a toddler

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 May 2014, 06:16