We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Island for House Reef and Snorkelling

Essex, United...
Level Contributor
104 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Best Island for House Reef and Snorkelling

Hi all,

Looking at traveling Feb 2014, we are complete water babies and we are looking for the best island for their house reef and snorkeling (ideally to see reef sharks and Manta's, if the season)

Any advice or help would be most welcome, we are a couple in our late 30's and have a budget of about £3500 for the 2 of us. Don't mind if its a B&B basis. We have looked at Bandos which I seem to be favouring, so if anyone has been there would be grateful for your views too.

Thanks

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,484 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Island for House Reef and Snorkelling

i would only return to bandos with small kids . the reef is so-so .

how long do you want to stay for the 3.5 k pounds and what all should be included in that amount?

Essex, United...
Level Contributor
104 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Island for House Reef and Snorkelling

Hi

Thanks for the reply, we're looking at 10 nights, flight, transfer and b&b. is it worth going AI we are not big drinkers

Xx

suffolk
Level Contributor
3,687 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Island for House Reef and Snorkelling

The cost of water and soft drinks can soon add up so AI may be worth it.

February is peak season (therefore most expensive) so with your relatively small budget, options may be limited.

Have a look at Embudu, Fihalhohi and Chaaya Reef Ellaidhoo.....all may be achievable close to your budget and all have acceptable reefs with Ellaidhoo being the best.

For the BEST reefs, you will need to increase your budget substantially.

John

Essex, United...
Level Contributor
104 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Island for House Reef and Snorkelling

Thanks John for the quick reply, have you been to any of those islands ? What is the accomodation like, I don't want a 2 storey kind of block, I know I'm probably asking alot on my budget but want excellent weather !!!

Kent, England
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Island for House Reef and Snorkelling

You will really struggle with your budget for 10 nights unfortunately, I know because we were trying to get a.reasonable island for the same price and all we could get was biyadhoo or bandos on b&b. Not even reethi was in budget with even the cheapest flights.

The problem with embudu and fiha is that they are exclusive to Thomson which means you have to choose one week or two, no ten day option. I'd plump for embudu but thats based on my own research.

We've defected to Thailand temporarily because 2014 prices are pretty crazy!

Cumbria, United...
Level Contributor
3,446 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Island for House Reef and Snorkelling

I know your budget was £3500 for B and B but you will need to budget for other meals and drinks as these will not come cheap with everything having to be imported . And as Jody says a 10 day period limits you to premium cost flights with Emirates, Qatar, Etihad etc rather than the cheaper option of Thomson.

I have been to both Fiha and Chaaya Ellaidhoo. For us, of the 2 Ellaidhoo wins in terms of accommodation, reef and food - the lower class garden rooms, although behind the beach bungalows, are well spec'd, single storey, mainly semi detached and have open bathrooms and the superior rooms which are in blocks of 4 (2 up 2 down) are large and also have large open bathrooms. One of the main drawbacks for most are the 2 sets of sea defences which are off putting to many. Last March 14 days cost us just over £4000 (before adding the price of a seaplane on top) but this was on AI basis - next February the price is around £4800

Fiha by comparison had smaller rooms, some in blocks of 4 which had a higher spec, with indoor bathrooms which even a few years ago would have benefitted from some refurb.

Embudu is certainly worth a look, all the rooms having recently been refurbed and in single storey block - it will also be near your budget.

Norway
Level Contributor
819 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Island for House Reef and Snorkelling

Have you considered Eriyadu? The reef is supposed to be spectacular, up there with the very best. The island is gorgeous, rooms are basic and semi-detached but large and perfectly adequate. Very budget friendly and good value for your money.

You might find this link helpful: sevenholidays.com/tag/snorkelling%20top%207/

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Island for House Reef and Snorkelling

i know it is 2 storey blocks but the best snorkelling (yes i thought better than athuruga or at the very least on a par) was at Biyadhoo, one of the most budget of all islands and is a boat transfer so keeps the cost down Especially as the reef circles the island and not a linear reef. And the upgrade to AI ilast year was only £19 a day which is a no brainer if u think about it. Otherwise Embudu/Eriyadhu

9. Re: Best Island for House Reef and Snorkelling

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 May 2014, 06:16